Doubling up carp/pike rods

hooferinsane

Reaction score
I am sure this has been asked before, although I can’t find a thread. As I am now retired, will be carp fishing a bit more. I have a 12ft 2.75lb pike rod, is there any issue using this for carp fishing?. The reel I use for pike fishing has a spare spool, currently have 20lb mono on the spool I use for pike, could perhaps put on 15lb on for carp on the other spool (braid is banned at most places around here). Or, would it be better to buy a ‘dedicated’ carp rod?
TIA

ian g

Reaction score
I'm not a carp angler but most carp rods now are designed to cast a good distance , fairly stiff action . If you don't intend fishing at extreme range give it a try , it will certainly be capable of handling carp.

steve2

Reaction score
I grew up fishing for carp and pike using the same rods normal test curve 1.75lb or less. I now use 2.75lb through action carp rods for most of my pike. Don't get hung up on what the label on the rod says.

Philip

Reaction score
Agree with the above. Pike rod will be fine to start.

...Later on you might want to buy some other rods for specific purposes ...and from there its a slippery slope towards a shed full of rods you dont really need as I am sure many on here will testify :)

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Please be aware that if your rod has any mention of 'Pike' on the label, you will not catch Carp on it, because the fish will know. You can try covering up the label with gaffer tape, but whilst that might fool the fish, any passing Carp angler will immediately spot your attempt at deception and will 'grass' you up (pun intended....?)

LPP

Reaction score
I use a couple of (sometimes only 1!) 11ft pike rods for both and the best bit : 2 sections of an 11ft rod fit into the car far easier than 12ft rods. Caught decent pike and carp on these and never feel i should have bigger, longer, heavier or correct labels BUT, do beware as previous posts : Carp Anglers will definitely not be pleased....

john step

Reaction score
As already stated. They will be fine. Might I suggest you fish in a secret corner out of sight or during the hours of darkness so the tackle tarts will not see you and be offended. ;)

Keith M

Reaction score
I've always used 12ft 2.75lb or 3lb tc Carp rods for my Pike fishing (apart from when I'm fishing lures of course).

As long as they are capable of chucking out deadbaits and pulling home the hooks into a pikes jaw at a medium distance then for me that's fine.

I don't do enough piking for me to want to buy a pair of dedicated Pike rods, and carp rods have always served me well enough and done everything I've wanted them to. However if I did a lot more piking then I might start to think about buying a pair of dedicated Pike rods.

Keith

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
i have a pair of 3lb tc Greys pike rods but can't remember when I last used them. Found them too powerful for the waters I ended up fishing where most of my pike were caught within a few yards of the bank.