Dove: River Dove / Trent Fishing

john hooper

Reaction score
Re: River Dove / Trent

funny you say that because on the doveridge stretch the chub have done a bit of a disappearing act, hardly any coming out, i lost a good one a couple of weeks ago and my friend anthony lost one yesterday which left him fishless for the day.I had five grayling and a trout trotting maggots but only the trout and one grayling were of a reasonable size.The river was about a foot up which makes fishing dificult as even a 3oz lead won't hold bottom any distance across the river so no chance with a feeder. Glorious day saturday though, didn't need my coat as long as the sun shone which was all day.

john

valleybrown

Reaction score

You have all the barbel down there :eek: No room for chub?

It's only in recent years I've found chub in the Dove. I've been fishing it for years and never really knew they were in there. It's not a species I have associated with the river. I guess like most people I used to think it was a trout/grayling river. Maybe the chub are eating all the trout fry and stockies? Or maybe getting in from the Churnet?

Another good morning yesterday.Very cold but a beautiful day. On the bank, swims prepped and first line in by 0630 Hrs.
For me the river was in great condition. Slightly up, slightly coloured and a bit quicker than normal. I like it when it has some water in :)
Not so good if you are trying to stand up to your waist flicking out flies though :eek:mg:

john hooper

Reaction score
a good day today, the two of us caught 5 chub , 2 trout, a grayling and a perch and a crayfish( not good), and the weather was great, only two weeks to go ,so sad , but then i can start thinking about catching some tench

john

john hooper

Reaction score
another good saturday despite the river being gin clear( first time for a while).Slow start on the feeder,plenty of bites but just couldn't connect so a change of swim and method required.On the float took five perch, best just short of 2lb down to 3/4lb and dropped of another couple plus a 4lb chub, best day of the winter and went home happy.Couldn't understand why i was the only one on the river , only 9 days to go lads.

john

Steve Hurst

Reaction score

Barbel are thin on the ground at Doveridge

That is an understatement Morespiders.

After a couple of seasons dabbling for 3 fish to 10.14 I am giving up. I will go back to Tutbury because life is too short and we all need our string tugged!

You can't beat the solitiude at Doveridge though, seeing other anglers is a rarity.

rmwilson

Reaction score
Hello all,
i have some family in blackbrook, near leek. i have been thinking of heading up for a few days angling on the Dove, derwent or Trent. sorry to hijack the thread but I would love to know of any day ticket or reasonable club memeberships to put me in with a chance of some grayling or barbel on any of the above mentioned rivers, close to blackbrook, leek cheddleton or even as far as Matlock......