Drennan Acolyte 13ft Ultra

Andy Pet

Reaction score
I know the subject rod is quite a fine tool, but is it suited to land the occasional lump if balanced with 4lb/5lb line?

I'm asking as I find the Plus version too pokey

Cheers in advance

trotter2

Reaction score
It depends on what you call a lump Andy, its at home on the river catching roach and dace type of rod.
Its not a big fish rod you mite be better with the one up mate.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know the subject rod is quite a fine tool, but is it suited to land the occasional lump if balanced with 4lb/5lb line?

I'm asking as I find the Plus version too pokey

Cheers in advance

I thought you got shut of one a while back because it didin't have enough backbone for you.
I know a couple of people who have had plenty of barbel with their ultras without any prob's.

Andy Pet

Reaction score
As usual I may have been a little hasty at that point Ian! I've figured the Plus is too overgunned for the little puddles I fish. I'm hearing that some folks are managing to fish for barbel with them.

swizzle

Reaction score
I was thinking of starting a thread similar to this, apologies for hijacking Andy. As I have posted previously, this season I have made it my goal to learn to trot rivers. I have been looking at the acolyte as my first rod with this in mind, my question is, is there something less expensive but reasonable in quality, just in case I don't get on with it? I'm happy to shell out considerable money if it is a method I get on with, but to learn the basics, would I be served by something a little cheaper? Again apologies for hijacking.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As usual I may have been a little hasty at that point Ian! I've figured the Plus is too overgunned for the little puddles I fish. I'm hearing that some folks are managing to fish for barbel with them.

I wouldn't reccommend anyone get one to target fish like barbel or carp but there's no doubt that you can land larger more powerfull species with it than just silvers etc. If you want a rod for larger fish you'd be better off buying a more powerfull rod. The plus version is great for small fish as well as larger fish, I used a 14ft plus yesterday and had no prob's catching dace with it.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I've only had my 14' Ultra since the back end of last year so it's only had a limited amount of use so far (possibly why it's cleaner than the '2000' Ian;)). No barbel as yet trotting, but chub to over 6lb on a 2.5lb hook length and 3.2 mainline without too much fuss. Also 'rogue' carp to small doubles and lively tench whilst crucian fishing on 2lb hook lengths...........

sam vimes

Reaction score
I definitely consider the Acolyte Ultras to be rods I want to use when fishing for the smaller species. In my case that generally means grayling and dace on rivers and silvers on stillwaters. I've not hooked a barbel with an Ultra yet, but I've had no problem subduing big bonus chub in fast flowing water and rogue carp in stillwater. The Ultras are far better at dealing with the bonus fish than my Matchpro Ultralight.

I've yet to try a Plus, the lack of a 15'er has seen me hold off buying one. I've no real need for a 13 or 14'er. If they ever do a 15, I'll probably end up with a 13 and 15' Plus, mainly to satisfy my OCD.:eek:;):D Rumours of a 17' Ultra are keeping my pennies in my pocket.

siychrist77

Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation, I have an im8 super stick that Ive been happily using for silvers on rivers and lakes. Have yet to hook any 'rogues' but a matter of time if fishing enough. Would i be right to presume the super stick and the ultra are comparable in terms of power?

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. My intended baits are maggots, small cubes of meat, pellets or corn, baits generally eaten by all fish. The venues I fish don't hold fish bigger than 10lb carp, so my quarry is mainly decent roach, crucians, bream, skimmers, tench and match size carp

I'd be fishing either 4 or 5lb straight through with the clutch set accordingly as the rod is rated to 4lb + mainlines.

I do have a beefier 11ft Acolyte Carp Waggler which is OK when I know I'm targetting lumps

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. My intended baits are maggots, small cubes of meat, pellets or corn, baits generally eaten by all fish. The venues I fish don't hold fish bigger than 10lb carp, so my quarry is mainly decent roach, crucians, bream, skimmers, tench and match size carp

I'd be fishing either 4 or 5lb straight through with the clutch set accordingly as the rod is rated to 4lb + mainlines.

I do have a beefier 11ft Acolyte Carp Waggler which is OK when I know I'm targetting lumps

The ultra should be fine then Andy......don't forget to let me know when your fed up with it, i've got a space for one in me rack ;).

lakhyaman

Reaction score
I regularly use my Acolyte Ultra loaded with 12lb line to fish for various cyprinids (Indian subcontinent) that make a carp (Cyprinus carpio) look like diabetic wimps of the worst sort (where's me tin 'at) when it comes to fighting pound for pound. My son just landed a 17.5 lb Catla using my Acolyte. I have landed any number of double figure fish with it in what is a reasonably snag free but not a swimming pool water. It will stop a double figure carp if you are willing to hook and hold. It is likely that you will "fail" first.

All the best

Lakhyaman

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Twelve pound line, hook and hold double figure fish....you sure you have an acolyte ultra!

I use the plus and have held barbel to just over 10lb using 6lb mono and it's been touch and go wether the rod was gonn'a crack off. The rod would deffo crack off well before the line would go so i've no idea how your ultra is coping with twelve pound line and holding such large powerfull fish. I think you should contact drennan with some of your results, i'm sure they'd love to hear about 'em!

Andy Pet

Reaction score
I regularly use my Acolyte Ultra loaded with 12lb line to fish for various cyprinids (Indian subcontinent) that make a carp (Cyprinus carpio) look like diabetic wimps of the worst sort (where's me tin 'at) when it comes to fighting pound for pound. My son just landed a 17.5 lb Catla using my Acolyte. I have landed any number of double figure fish with it in what is a reasonably snag free but not a swimming pool water. It will stop a double figure carp if you are willing to hook and hold. It is likely that you will "fail" first.

All the best

Lakhyaman

Blimey, 12lb line seems a little excessive however it would be interesting to witness. I suppose it's smilar to the new breed of match anglers using 10lb plus on a £2K plus pole. If a known angler was to endorse it we'd all do it or would we?

lakhyaman

Reaction score
Have a look at my post number 3845 dated 27-04-2016 on the " How did you get on" thread. I'd post a link but I'm pretty unhandy with the iPad I'm using to post this.

All the best

Lakhyaman.

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Just read the post and "blimey O'Rielly!"

I recognise the rod and that fish next to it is a lump - have you ever broke one of the rods?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I usually disregard manufacturers line ratings on rods. They usually underplay things to cover their backsides. However, 12lb line through an Acolyte Ultra sounds like seriously pushing the envelope to me.

lakhyaman

Reaction score
Just read the post and "blimey O'Rielly!"

I recognise the rod and that fish next to it is a lump - have you ever broke one of the rods?

I just own the one. It is one of two I bought from "Gerry's of Wimbledon" who are no longer in business in June/July 2015. My fishing partner of 35 years uses the other one. Haven't broken one yet.

It flexes like crazy and can make your heart quail in a hook and hold situation but from your post it is unlikely to be a regular scenario for you. It isn't for me. It copes perfectly well in reasonably clear water.

All the best

Lakhyaman

trotter2

Reaction score
The ultra has just a fraction more power than the matchpro. But its not a lot you would need to have them both side by side to feel a difference.

The plus is not a beefy rod either it just slightly more powerful than the Ultra. I would say to me it looks and feels more versatile covering more possibility's but not over powerful it cant cope with some finesse fishing.
I know a lot of lads who use the plus for general river trotting for anything from dace to large swale chub.

Most Drennan shops will have the full selection in stock so check them out.
The darlo shop does anyway.