Drennan IM9 13 Foot Match Rod

Thorogoodone

Reaction score
I am after a pellet waggler rod seen this on ebay the guy says it's a good all rounder but is it good for heavy waggler fishing for carp

sam vimes

Reaction score
Definitely not a pellet waggler rod. It pre-dates the pellet waggler as a method and the few commercials that existed in its day were few and far between and quite different to modern commies.

It's a proper classic match rod. Just look at the specs on the rod. Recommended reel lines from 1.7-2.6lb and hooklengths from 10oz to 2lb4oz.

trotter2

Reaction score
Like Sam has said its a light action match rod I used to have one. Not a bad rod mind for what its made for.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I had the original im9's in 13 and 14ft. I did use 6lb straight through them and caught loads of hard fighting chub. I also caught many dace, roach, grayling, tench and even carp to about 12lbs.
I think the 14 footer retailed at 249 quid (maybe a little more, I forget) and for many years was the most expensive rod drennan produced. No idea if that still stands today though?

chevin4

Reaction score
I had the original im9's in 13 and 14ft. I did use 6lb straight through them and caught loads of hard fighting chub. I also caught many dace, roach, grayling, tench and even carp to about 12lbs.
I think the 14 footer retailed at 249 quid (maybe a little more, I forget) and for many years was the most expensive rod drennan produced. No idea if that still stands today though?
I have the IM9 in 14ft I would imagine the 13ft is very similar. It's a beautiful rod which is very through actioned which makes it very much unlike a modern match rod. I use have used mine for perch rudd and trotting for grayling. I believe the much missed Peter Stone really rated the rod and used his for estate lake tench fishing although personally would find it a tad light for that application Its another rod I would reluctantly sell.

chevin4

Reaction score
How does it compare with say an Ultra of a Matchpro Ultralight?
I had an Ultra which I would class as a typical match rod targeting silvers it has a very fast tip but found it too delicate for my needs. The IM9 IMO is not a match rod as the action is slow. For those who like a trough actioned rod for specimen roach perch chub etc it is ideal the line rating stamped on the rod is misleading as it will comfortably handle lines up to 6lb get a big fish on it just keeps bending through to the corks.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I agree with what's been said. I have a 13' IM 9 and its a lovely rod but no way is it suited to pw carp fishing though I've no doubt it would handle the odd interloper. Not as light actioned as the Matchpro Ultralight imo but a very nice rod.

trotter2

Reaction score
Yer compared to the ultra and the matchpro ,not as fast and like others have said it bends more in the mid section under load. But it's a good rod nothing wrong with them just a bit different than the other drennans . I used mine for years and won a few matches with it on the stick