Drennan Loafer floats

dicky123

Reaction score
Guys.

How deep would be too deep for a loafer float, and when would you change to another float, like a big stick?

Thanks.

****y.

Phil Heaton

Reaction score
Loafer floats are generally used to carry bigger baits than a stick float and the finesse side of trotting isn't quite as important when targeting barble. I've not seen the need to change from a loafer style to a stick float although I might use a bigger loafer in deeper or faster water to allow more weight to get the bait down to the bottom better.
I also use olivettes instead of split shot starting around 8" above the hook as I find its a better contact with the river bed on the first few runs through a swim.

dicky123

Reaction score
Thanks Phil, makes sense. So you use loafer floats for most of your trotting, even for barbel?

****y.

Phil Heaton

Reaction score
Yes, I don't really do finesse fishing for small silvers. Loafers present large lobs for anything, chunks of meat, bread, pellets even boilies and due to their size are easy to see in turbulent or shady water.

dicky123

Reaction score
Phil.

Ive also brought some Drennan clear Avon floats, taking the same capacity as the loafers. My thinking they may be a bit better for laying on, or when the water is less boily on the surface. Would you agree?

Phil Heaton

Reaction score
The weighted solid bottom on an avon float will give a bit better control, but they are also suitable for fast boily water