Drennan vertex rods

dalesman

Reaction score
After some feed back on the Drennan Vertex rods 13'. One of the lads at work is to retire a months time and we have clubbed together to get him a new rod and reel.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Not sure whether there's a question in there but... I have one and while action wise I found it OK, for me, I found it prone to tip wraps something some rods seem prone to some don't. I ended up with a Garbolino Altima Match Light which feels better all round and isn't prone to tip wraps (maybe it's me!) Available probably for less than the Vertex https://www.baileysofwarwick.com/product/garbolino-altima-13-foot-light-medium-float-rod/ The blurb says light/medium but if you call them it's the Light version, best check if it's of interest.

Philip

Reaction score
, I found it prone to tip wraps something some rods seem prone to some don't.

It might be the angle of the tip ring. There was quite allot of discussion about it here on FM if you do a search....I mention as perhaps a little eye bending might solve the problem.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Two rods that I have tip wrap problems with are, as it happens, both Drennan. The Vertex and an 11' MatchPro Ultra Light. I've looked at the tip rings and can't see any difference. They look for all the world identical to the two Toreons and the Altima, apart from the finish. The Toreon and Altima are matt chrome the others some sort of black finish which could be black chrome, can't really tell without scraping. That's not to say I've never had tip wraps with the Altima/Toreon, it's just rare. The Altima does differ in the way it fits. The tip sleeve is flush with the blank, it must be on a spigot glued in the end. The others are fitted over the blank which appears to be the norm.