driftbeater floats/ Am I doing it wrong?

john step

Reaction score
Have I been doing wrong all this time?. I normally shot a driftbeater up as in my rather crude diagram attached below. It has always worked for me.

I have seen in a publication recently that it is recommended to shot one up as one would a standard waggler with the bulk fixing the float and a no.1 or BB on the deck about a foot from the hook.

I use it mainly in water about 10 to 14 foot deep. Usualy with a longer rod.

Any thoughts??

View attachment 6577

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
John I think you are correct in having your bulk shot lower down in the undercurrent away from any surface tow like in your diagram.

Having your bulk shot up at the base of the float is not going to be able to stop your float from drifting along in any significant surface tow.

Keith

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
John I think you are correct in having your bulk shot lower down in the undercurrent away from any surface tow like in your diagram.

Having your bulk shot up at the base of the float is not going to be able to stop your float from drifting along in any significant surface tow.

Keith

Keith ,Thanks thats the way I view it. Works for me. I wonder how many people Angling Times have led astray?

nottskev

Reaction score
You're right to put the weight down when you want to stabilise the float or pick up the undertow. I can't imagine why someone would advise putting the weight around the float. Even in water only 9' or 10' deep I often use a slider with the bulk well down or lock the float with float stops to give me more weight to put lower down. It might be that some of the floats traditionally used on natural waters are a bit foreign to younger angling journalists........

Philip

Reaction score
Bulk shot down the line for me.

Not seen the article but perhaps the writer has been using drift beaters when there is no drift ? ...maybe someone needs to point out to him the clue is in the floats name :)

john step

Reaction score
Ian g thanks for the reminder. I have just re read this post. I had forgotten about the previous post on the subject. I admired Binkas floats he made.

I use them for drift and must admit to not using them for lifts as Chriss does. I will try this when circumstances arise.

Reading all this has given me an idea I will experiment with. In deep water fairly close in I have used a large peacock waggler with the only shot which is the bulk shot on the deck with a paternoster hooklength coming off it. A sort of float/ledeger.

I might try it with a large driftbeater instead of the peacock. I think it will be better at combattingt drift.

spenbeck

Reaction score
How are you fixing the float in position? A stop knot (slider) or float stops?

john step

Reaction score
How are you fixing the float in position? A stop knot (slider) or float stops?

A couple of no.4 shot.

Edited later.
I have just received two packs of driftbeaters in the post from AD. I bought two packets to get over £9 for free delivery.
At £10.50 for 6 driftbeaters I think that was OK. They appear to be good but I have not had chance to use them yet.

View attachment 6593

Last edited: