Drones: The next new thing for bait release

steve2

Reaction score
A No Drones rule as already been written into our club rules next to the no bait boat rules.
If you what to play with boats and drones use the local park.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I know one commercial that use them to deliver your meal, just ring them up, order your breakfast and tell them what peg your in and presto, comes flying in but I don't know what they do about seagulls, just thought of that. However-marks for innovation but I think I will stick with my flask and sandwiches.

laguna

Reaction score
Nothing more than a toy for the none serious anglers, same as the bait boats and the remote controlled submarine fish finder I posted about a couple of weeks ago.

Mind you, if someone bought me a sub I might be tempted to have a play.... :D

mikench

Reaction score
No it won't but then carp anglers will do anything. I reckon mortars will be next:rolleyes:

Keith M

Reaction score
Mind you, if someone bought me a sub I might be tempted to have a play.... :D

If it had anti-drone missiles and anti bait boat torpedoes it might have a use as a last resort :)

Keith

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
My only foray into this realm was I bought a fish finder from a junk shop for £20 only to find I could buy a new one on eBay for £20. It was a big float with a sonar device hanging from it attached to 30ft of cable and a hand held monitor. I lobbed it in the river and frightened all the fish away, then it kept floating into the bank. Then it wouldn't work, the screen kept going blank. So I went back to relying on the old fashion pot luck; still caught beggar all but at least I could dream the fish were there just lurking.

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Well let's not New carp anglers have been using them but I can't see it catching on most anglers I know don't like the idea and many clubs have put a ban on them

Philip

Reaction score
It was probably about 20 years ago I saw an angler at Lac de St Cassien drop a rig with a model remote controlled helicopter that he had modified. I suppose drones just make the concept easier and more accessiable to the masses nowadays.

Its not something I would use or do. Same as I wont use a bait boat but thats just me. As long as it does not break the fishery rules or mess up other peoples fishing then I guess its up to each person to decide for themselves on the ethics.

Having said that, the issue I see with drones in particular is that its very hard for it NOT to impact other peoples fishing to some extent as it would be so visable to other people on the venue as it whizzes out over the water. It would certainly mess up the idea of "tanquility".

For that reason I think most (all?) fisheries should ban them.

B

binka

I fished a local country park lake a couple of months ago and someone was flying a drone over the lake, I don't think it was anything to do with an angler but the damned thing was a bloody nuisance with the noise and distraction.

Don't many of these things also carry cameras?

If they do it's a bit of an affront to privacy imo when someone is flying one around you, after all I can't think of many who would blatantly stand near you and film you with conventional equipment but because it can now be done from afar and for all intents and purposes relatively anonymously, some will no doubt find it acceptable :rolleyes:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
They could be used with camera's to fly along miles of rivers in the close season to spot close season anglers!! and seriously!!

Next step would be we have to stick our licenses on our heads so drone cameras can read them. Then a big drone comes with a big hook and takes you away. Be like star wars or the terminator, Crow could be Arnie Swatz with one of those big Gatling guns blasting them out of the sky, I am on the Crow team. Yeh, I know, too much coffee this morning. However, don't tell the EA or the AT, they would love it.

Last edited: