Drop nets

hooferinsane

Reaction score
I’ve found a location which is a small stream with steep banks and overgrown. It hold some large chub and carp, the water is crystal clear and they are spooked easily. They did take the bread that I threw in for them though on a recce today. One of the problems if I do hook into a fish is getting it landed safely. Has anyone any advice on a drop net at all? I did even think about a ‘crabbing’ net, but not sure how large they are.
TIA

Keith M

Reaction score
Is this a wind up??? What is wrong with using a landing net? I’m assuming you are going to use a fishing rod, hook and line to catch the fish. :)

A drop net wold be the last thing I would try to land a Chub or a Carp in; in fact I would never even consider such a thing to land anything in apart from a crayfish :)

Philip

Reaction score
A long handled landing net would seem to be the best option, loads available at 3m which should be able to cope on the majority of small streams I would think.

That said I can think of some freshwater instances were I have considered a drop net ...one example being a weir that had no access to water level and a big drop that even my longest net handle (which is around 4m) would not reach.

Sea angling outlets are the most obvious place to get a drop net although if you look at drop nets being sold there really is not much too them and I suspect one could be easily cobbled together with a landing net head and some rope.

The Sogster

Reaction score
My preferred option would be find a spot upstream where you can enter the water and wade down even if it's half a mile.

Secondly as stated above a long strong net handle to be able to lift the fish up and over the bank. With a drop net the fish would have to be dragged through all sorts of vegetation against the bank.

If these options are not available then sometimes discretion is the better part of valour, better to leave these fish unharmed in that environment and try and tempt them elsewhere where you can safely land them.

Reaction score
Where is the op's post???

On certain rivers in the capital it might be a safer option than a rope ladder over a tidal river with high concrete walls,so I would expect there are other venues with similar challenges....

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have seen drop nets used on piers to land big fish but it is a two man job. I suppose it would be easier without waves but I would rather look to extend my landing net handle than lug a drop net around, they are quite big and heavy. Something strapped on with duck tape would work.

Last edited:

hooferinsane

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, a drop net is only an option that I was considering, a longer landing net handle might possibly still have problems getting it over the vegetation though, although there are some gaps in the vegetation. Might have to get the waders out perhaps……….only problem is getting out the stream afterwards :).

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Thanks for all the replies, a drop net is only an option that I was considering, a longer landing net handle might possibly still have problems getting it over the vegetation though, although there are some gaps in the vegetation. Might have to get the waders out perhaps……….only problem is getting out the stream afterwards :).
Take a pair of shears with you if it's allowed to do a bit of gardening, A dog spike that screws into the ground and some rope around you ensures your safety if you slip in while fishing.
My take is if you can't fish it safely with the height from the water and vegetation I would find another stretch.
And if I was going to struggle to get out ,I wouldn't go in,
As for drop nets, have you considered the welfare of the fish dragging them up over the vegetation.
There are plenty of long landing net handles on the market that may be better. Or convert a cheap pole into one, easily done.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I used to fish a river with a steep treacherous bank in Sussex. I bought a longer net pole and coupled it with an angled adaptor, I believe it’s original purpose was to angle keepnets. it could be set straight or alternatively to 90 or 45 degrees. it worked pretty well, though it I had a decent fish the net had to be raised hand over hand.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Well there’s a coincidence. I was just looking for an old tackle box and by chance I found the adapter. A bit past it’s best and I was wrong about the 90 degrees. It’s set straight in the picture. It worked okay at 45 degrees a bit like a drop net fixed to a pole. I had a look on-line but the one’s I saw either didn’t look strong enough or looked like they would alter position in use.
bdcb8573e166c661ecdb99a885237570.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’ve found a location which is a small stream with steep banks and overgrown. It hold some large chub and carp, the water is crystal clear and they are spooked easily. They did take the bread that I threw in for them though on a recce today. One of the problems if I do hook into a fish is getting it landed safely. Has anyone any advice on a drop net at all? I did even think about a ‘crabbing’ net, but not sure how large they are.
TIA
A drop net could be hard work, would a long handled landing net not reach? I've got a 5.9m telescopic handle for fishing off the sea wall.

rayner

Reaction score
Why do anglers make things difficult for themselves, try using your brain.
Find a stretch safer for yourself and the fish. Fish in comfort, you will be more successful.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why do anglers make things difficult for themselves, try using your brain.
Find a stretch safer for yourself and the fish. Fish in comfort, you will be more successful.

That's somewhat disrespectful to the op Gary. Look back at my recent HDYGO posts at Samphire Hoe, are you suggesting I also don't use my brain? Sometimes we as anglers have to venture away from our comfort zone in search of fish.

Reaction score
I understand where Gary is coming from though John,it would not enter into my head,some spots aren't fishable imo and I treat them that way,there are enough chub and carp in fishable swims in virtually every county....

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I understand where Gary is coming from though John,it would not enter into my head,some spots aren't fishable imo and I treat them that way,there are enough chub and carp in fishable swims in virtually every county....
Agreed, but help the guy rather than insult.

steve2

Reaction score
I have lost count on the amount times I have caught fish from what appear to be unfishable swims. But I always worked just how I would land them.

hooferinsane

Reaction score
Well, (this is the brainless op btw :) ) it is fished because there is a FB group about it, but people don’t let on about the exact location of fishing spots for obvious reasons. I came across this particular stretch, as said when I investigated it yesterday, in quite a long walk in the heat. You can drop a bait in ok as there are some gaps in the vegetation, but at almost 60 years old, I am past climbing out of the water/steep banks if I fall in (I have done this quite a few times in my younger days). As said a drop net was only a consideration, but as people suggested, have just purchased a 4m telescopic landing net handle now, also a new net head which should do the job I think. Fortunately we actually have a local fishing tackle shop who had exactly what was needed following advice about the longer handle. I will be out to try there tomorrow……