Drop shotting - am I missing something?

tommos16

Reaction score
Spent a good four hours on the cut today (Leeds Liverpool, Wigan area). Drop shotted 8 locks, every single little hidey hole, under bridges, near drains, every single place you'd expect a Perch. Not one single tickle (I think).

Am I missing something? Ie bites? As I've never had a bite, what would a bite feel like? Am I just unlucky and not come across the right spots?

I must admit, I was excited about drop shotting but it's taken the shine off it a bit today. My main issue is how to tell a bite, I just don't have a clue.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

ian g

Reaction score
Try having a go with a worm hooked on , it will give you confidence , perch just can't resist worms.

tommos16

Reaction score
Try having a go with a worm hooked on , it will give you confidence , perch just can't resist worms.
Yeah thats not the first time I've heard that, meaning it must be true! I still worry about the bites, I'm on slightly heavier gear than needed 15-30 rod) but I'm sure it'll still be OK. But I just have no idea what a bite would feel like

ian g

Reaction score
if you keep the line in the crook of your finger you'll feel the bites , though to be fair you'ii feel the bites through your rod . The bites will usually be pretty sharp.

tommos16

Reaction score
Are you using braid?
8lb mono, which I feel is an error. Probably time for some braid?

Ian G, thanks for the tip! Must be no bites then, what I feared...

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Drop shotting is all about the feel, from the initial bite being transmitted through the line, rod, right through to your rod handle. This is why it’s important to have as sensitive a setup as possible. Some bites are unmistakeable, other very subtle, these can be missed using mono which has shock absorbing qualities, braid doesn’t have that. Whether a 15 to 30g rod is capable of giving you those subtle tugs I’m not sure.

Don’t despair, the method is no different to any other and can result in a run of blanks, I should know! My number one tip has already been mentioned, if you can take some lobworms, it’s amazing how they can produce a result when all the lures in your box fail to attract attention and you’ll know if your missing bites with a half bitten worm coming back.

I think of my drop shotting as just going for a walk along the river, taking a rod if I see a spot that looks promising, had a few fruitless walks recently but yesterday after some considerable rain the local Stour was coloured and the predators were active, a jack and a few wasps followed by a nice chunky perch.

tommos16

Reaction score
Drop shotting is all about the feel, from the initial bite being transmitted through the line, rod, right through to your rod handle. This is why it’s important to have as sensitive a setup as possible. Some bites are unmistakeable, other very subtle, these can be missed using mono which has shock absorbing qualities, braid doesn’t have that. Whether a 15 to 30g rod is capable of giving you those subtle tugs I’m not sure.

Don’t despair, the method is no different to any other and can result in a run of blanks, I should know! My number one tip has already been mentioned, if you can take some lobworms, it’s amazing how they can produce a result when all the lures in your box fail to attract attention and you’ll know if your missing bites with a half bitten worm coming back.

I think of my drop shotting as just going for a walk along the river, taking a rod if I see a spot that looks promising, had a few fruitless walks recently but yesterday after some considerable rain the local Stour was coloured and the predators were active, a jack and a few wasps followed by a nice chunky perch.

Very nice!! Well played.

I think I might take the plunge and go for something really sensitive, because I do think it's got potential to be really productive and fun - especially as we head into winter.

I'll get some lobworms and have a good walk on the weekend, see if anything wants to take. Thanks once again, it's very much appreciated

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you do decide to get another rod, don’t go too short, an extra bit of length can get you access over vegetation and also allows you stand back from the bank a foot or two so as not to spook any fish that maybe almost under your feet.

naxian62

Reaction score
tommos16
the rod I'm using atm is 3-14g ( I've broken a few ! ) and I feel bites quite good I believe. I find laying my index finger on the blank just along from the reel seat transmits everything thats going on under the water. And once again lobs always brings bites, which could , feel like little knocks,plucks , trembles or just an exaggerated pull.
Keep at it. Sooo rewarding when you hook into something decent.

tommos16

Reaction score
tommos16
the rod I'm using atm is 3-14g ( I've broken a few ! ) and I feel bites quite good I believe. I find laying my index finger on the blank just along from the reel seat transmits everything thats going on under the water. And once again lobs always brings bites, which could , feel like little knocks,plucks , trembles or just an exaggerated pull.
Keep at it. Sooo rewarding when you hook into something decent.
Ah excellent. It's convinced me that I'm just using too heavy gear I reckon. I'll invest a bit I think, because I'd love to be picking them off in winter! Cheers again

David Gane

Reaction score
Don't get too disheartened. I do a lot of dropshotting and some days it works and some days it doesn't. Generally I get a "feeling" after thirty minutes or so if I'm going to have a slow day. To be honest, if it feels like that I more often than not give up and go back another time.

If you do get a take there is no mistaking it. Generally it's a pretty hard thump and then either you have a fish on or you don't. Immediately tighten-up, but hard striking is rarely necessary.

One thing that is worth trying is changing lures if you're getting nowhere. Colour changes can sometimes have miraculous results. In low light or murky water I like light coloured lures. In winter I often find that brightly coloured ones work well. Firetiger green does well for me.

I've never tried the worm trick - but it sounds like a good idea and I certainly will now I've heard of it!

tommos16

Reaction score
Don't get too disheartened. I do a lot of dropshotting and some days it works and some days it doesn't. Generally I get a "feeling" after thirty minutes or so if I'm going to have a slow day. To be honest, if it feels like that I more often than not give up and go back another time.

If you do get a take there is no mistaking it. Generally it's a pretty hard thump and then either you have a fish on or you don't. Immediately tighten-up, but striking is rarely necessary.

One thing that is worth trying is changing lures if you're getting nowhere. Colour changes can sometimes have miraculous results. In low light or murky water I like light coloured lures. In winter I often find that brightly coloured ones work well. Firetiger green does well for me.

I've never tried the worm trick - but it sounds like a good idea and I certainly will now I've heard of it!
Yeah that was my thinking, I imagine you'd know because perch are as aggressive as anything out there.

Very curious about the worm myself, I know what I'm doing Saturday! I'll let you all know how I get on. Thanks for the replies so far all, it's given me hope once again. Which we all need for fishing!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
PS just a tail of a lobworm can be devastating and will give more fishing per pot of worms!

d.owens

Reaction score
I got back into fishing after watching countless YouTube videos of drop shotting, the minimal tackle and roving approach really appealed to me.
I fished a small local pond and the Leeds Liverpool Canal last winter and have never caught a single fish on a lure!
I decided to try some worms dug out of my garden one freezing cold day on Newsham Park Lake in Liverpool and picked up this little fella.
View attachment 7755
You are not alone in the struggle to get perch on soft lures, I will start a new campaign as the weather gets colder. Hope you keep us posted and we can pass on any tips......feel sure I'm going to pull a few big stripeys out this winter!

tommos16

Reaction score
I got back into fishing after watching countless YouTube videos of drop shotting, the minimal tackle and roving approach really appealed to me.
I fished a small local pond and the Leeds Liverpool Canal last winter and have never caught a single fish on a lure!
I decided to try some worms dug out of my garden one freezing cold day on Newsham Park Lake in Liverpool and picked up this little fella.
View attachment 7755
You are not alone in the struggle to get perch on soft lures, I will start a new campaign as the weather gets colder. Hope you keep us posted and we can pass on any tips......feel sure I'm going to pull a few big stripeys out this winter!
D.owens - very nice mate, well played!

Deop shotting was a big appeal for me, living right on the canal, and I do think it'll come good for me. I'm not exactly the most patient of fellas which is ridiculous considering I've come quite obsessed with fishing. I suppose it'll teach me that all good things come to those who wait...

Newsham Park brings back some memories, I was raised not far from there. I'll defo feedback as the winter rolls in, hopefully in a few weeks I'll be wondering what my issues was ha

d.owens

Reaction score
Good luck mate! As others have said, take a few juicy lob worms just to maybe get that first fish and experience of how bites feel.

tommos16

Reaction score
Good luck mate! As others have said, take a few juicy lob worms just to maybe get that first fish and experience of how bites feel.
I'll be doing exactly that bud, that's Saturday mapped out for me nicely I reckon!

tommos16

Reaction score
Hello again all. It would appear the only thing I was missing was patience, found a nice spot near Wigan on the Leeds Liverpool (Britannia Bridge, I don't mind sharing but let's not destroy it) and I found a shoal. This being the best, not a monster but a lovely fish nevertheless
4d4d2ebb61678fe150c83bf5a06beb91.jpg