Drought coming

steve2

Reaction score
Even after all the rain and flooding a drought is now being forecast for some areas. I am not surprised, locally we have not had any rain now for over 2 months with river and streams just about flowing and the levels in ponds and lakes are at summer level. How are your local waters?

lambert1

Reaction score
I am not used to seeing brown lawns in May! Honestly you would think it was August out there. I have not been down to my local rivers yet, but would expect them to be very shallow in places and weed choked. I have looked when I have driven over bridges and they look very sluggish. Our weather is bizarre!

Reaction score
Drought is here,rivers are low,no rain since basically a week before the end of the season,its virus warming....

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
The Ribble is very low, and some of the Stillwaters I fish are dropping in level as well.
And this is after a very wet winter, and the wettest February on record.

barbelboi

Reaction score
This is one of the driest parts of the country, rarely rains but the the rivers are kept up by the rainfall in the west midlands.

mikench

Reaction score
The contrast in many lakes from march to now is very marked. My lawn has brown patches and I have the sprinkler on. I can see very little rain in the forecast for the forseeable. I'm not complaining.

rayner

Reaction score
Temperatures are coming down with a bit of rain about, not enough to bother us too much. Especially whilst I'm still home☹

Aknib

Reaction score
The golf course is being hammered in the off-irrigation areas such as the fairways, such a shame after all the time, money and effort invested in aerating and over seeding following the scorching Summer the year before last.

Even some of the greens and tees which are on irrigation are having to have wetting agents applied and are being supplementary watered throughout the day.

As for water shortages it's a scandal and a national disgrace following the wettest Autumn on record and the wettest February too, it's about time those in charge of the water companies were criminalised for failing to reinvest enough profit to ensure supply.

The water was clearly there but the capacity to store it obviously isn't.

Having said that we have a 90% chance of heavy rain tomorrow from around 7am to 5pm, that should freshen things up a bit if it materialises.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I see some might come this way down the SE on Thur/Fri and a lot cooler as well. I hope so, I don't like heat anymore. Give me a good old rainy seaside town any day.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
In the northwest we have some heavy rain forecast for a few hours tomorrow morning. The temp's are dropping off quite a lot and there is more rain forecast over the coming ten days.
It wouldn't surprise me if the rain is timed just right to make the rivers unfishable come opening day....sods law I suppose!

rich66

Reaction score
Rain forecast for here tomorrow in the midlands hopefully it won’t be a lot as I’m fishing in the morning.
All that rain we had at the beginning of the year and I had an email from Severn Trent today asking for us to save water !

Aknib

Reaction score
?
All that rain we had at the beginning of the year and I had an email from Severn Trent today asking for us to save water !

I heard a similar plea via a radio advert on my way to work yesterday.

I hope I get the email, i'll reply to it asking them to invest in storage infrastructure and stop sending out stupid requests for something that is in such general, plentiful supply.

New reservoirs could double up as water supply, wildlife areas, water sport centres and fishing venues.

Not that it will do any good but i'll feel better for it ??