Earthing the current

P

Paul Hawkins

Those of you who have read Yates' Casting at the Sun will be familiar with his final chapter.
It's my favourite piece by Yates. Evocotive of all the reasons we go fishing.
I must read it just before I entertain a certain friend of mine who without fail, usually between the second and third bottle of Merlot, says, "So why do you do it, why do you go fishing?"
Ok, why do you go fishing?

G

Goose Ganderton

Wye do I go fishing? For me this a multitude of things, my job as a freelance press photographer can be very stressful with extremely long hours (most of the other guys play golf-why?) So i take Monday and Tuesday off. Its often my 2 days fishing that keeps me going. I just love being near the water, you really cant beat the perfect dawn over a lake or gentle flowing river as the sun starts to rise, burning off the mist of chilled night air, searching the water for signs of feeding fish, the King Fisher darting back and forth searching for its breakfast, watching the young water fowl growing up on the water the baby Grebes being taught how to locate small fish by swimming along with their heads dipping under the surface scanning for their pray. Its the Carp that leaps clear and lands with an almighty crash or its back just breaking the surface film as it cruses the margins. Its the fizz of bubbles as the Tench come on the feed sifting through the bottom silt. Its the primeval instinct of the hunter in us all, the moment the float bobs under with a stab stab from a Roach or the gentlest of takes from a Bream, the screaming reel from a Carp or tench, the rod wrenching take of a Barbel. Its the moment that a Trout or Grayling takes a fly or the Pike and Perch as they snap at a lure.Its the freezing frosty morning as you wonder down a small stream with the grass crunching under your feet gazing into the crystal clear water searching for the hardy winter chub and Roach. Its the fight as the fish battles for its freedom. Its the sheer excitement as you play the fish, will the hook hold as the fish drags a yard or two of line fron the reel searching for sanctuary in the reeds or the safety of the over hanging Willow and the sheer relief and exhilaration as a fish slips over the edge of the landing net. Its the tackle, the beautifully crafted rods, the precision made reels that hopefully will sing out loud and sweet sometime during the day (I have to confess that I am a tackle junkie) Its the anticipation ,the not knowing what the day hold instore, its just being there doing what I love most, its is my passion. Phew I cant sit infront of this machine anymore Im off fishing.

A

Andy Davis

Why do I go fishing?
I’ve been asked this question before and I can’t really answer it, but:
I like the peaceful atmosphere, it’s man hunting his “prey” and I love the stuff you see, not just the fish but the wildlife…the kingfishers darting up & down, the swoop of the barn owl as it starts his evening hunt for food or the robin that uses your rod for a perch whilst it helps itself to the contents of you bait box, I also go because it’s completely different to my day job and there are no computers involved and there’s the feeling you get when you catch a new species or perhaps a bigger specimen.
Wish I was there now, rather than sat behind this desk & computer.

P

peter webber

Goose
I don't know what you are like as a photographer but if you can take photo's as good as you can write (see above) then you must be brilliant.
that piece was fantastic, it brought a lump to my throat. Maybe you should fink about doing more of it?
----(*}}}}<

P

Paul Houghton

Peter, couldn't agree more with the comments by Goose, couldn't of it written it myself...can't take photo's either:)
Still, I would add going out fishing with a mate is always fun, taking the mickey, having a laugh and few pints at the end of the day...nothing better.

Oh, and switching the mobile OFF!!

C

Chris Bishop

I had the most bizarre experience (for me...) last weekend - I actually caught a fish I've spent the best part of two years chasing.

I've a lot of mixed feelings on this whole named fish thing. But once I'd let it go, I realised I'd actually achieved something which has cost me god knows what in terms of stress, time and money over the last couple of years.

I'm in Goose's line on work, so chasing something else which refuses to talk and legs it as soon as it sees you makes a pleasant change.

J

John Tait

Why do I go fishing?? - I don't really know, but I DO know that I am as glad as hell that I do - if you can follow that ??

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
In truth I think it is as much the water as the fishing. If we were stopped from fishing I think I would still spend a lot of time by the water, especially rivers. I can walk for hours along a riverbank just peering into the water trying to work out what's going on below the surface, predicting what fish will congregate in particular spots. Catching the fish is proving you were right.

J

john conway

To add to everything Goose has said I would also like to add that for me it's also been an adventure. As a young lad I would dream of catching big fish from the local ponds and old factory lodges and later making expeditions to the nearest river. This was the river Calder that runs past Padiham, through Whalley and into the Ribble. In those days it was only fishable down stream from Whalley. Having to walk from Accrington to Whalley at four in the morning to get to the river at dawn and experience everything Goose has previously said was something to dream about for days. I didn't like school as a lad so it was also a bit of escapism as now it's escapism form the pressures of work. Now many years later as a man, who has had many caving and climbing adventures all over the world, fishing has lost none of it's magic or adventure and I still dream of catching fish. I've just bought "Mr Crabtree Goes Fishing" couldn't afford it when I was a kid, and it's brought all those magic moments back again.

G

Goose Ganderton

Paul you are a lucky man cos as some of the others will know I aint got no mates so I have to do all my fishing on my own. What mates I do have all walk around trying to put little white balls into little holes in the ground (now whats that all about then).

G

Goose Ganderton

Thanks for the kind words Peter i didn't know you were such a sensitive chap. It all came from the heart for me fishing is not a hobby or past time it really is a passion. I have told my wife in the past never to ask me to choose between fishing and her as she might not get the answer she wants.

P

peter webber

I told my wife when we first met that if I have to choose between her and fishing, i'd help her pack. I'm only sensitive when it comes to fishing (the wife says it's all I care about...AND)
Goose did you go up the medway ? if so how did you get on?
----(*}}}}<

G

Goose Ganderton

Peter I did fish the Medway but I went down to Fordcombe for a spot of Barbeling but it was such a crap day the water was the colour of strong coffee and pushing through like a steam train. A couple of hours after I arrived the tempreture started to drop and I ended up catching bugger all still it was great just sitting watching a pair of Kingfishers. I'm not sure when I can get out next due to work and my son being in hospital. If I get half the chance I'm going to give the big Roach at Longshaw farm a go. When I get a free day do you fancy a session at Yalding.

P

peter webber

Goose just let me know when you want to go and i'll make sure I can make it.
I spoke to a friend today who fished yalding yesterday and he said that some big roach are showing so hopfully we will be able to get into them and the bream. I'll try to find out what is fishing the best for when we go, above the weir or below.

A

Alan Cooper

Well said Goose - in fact you said it all. This is why I'm back after all those years away - never forgotten for a moment.

G

Goose Ganderton

I know just how you feel Alan I had a lay off of about 5 years due to work and family commitments but I do feel that fishing is something that once you have experenced the sheer thrill of catching a good fish and being part of nature in all its glory that its always there, its in our souls and eventualy we all return. I just wish more people could nkow what that feeling is truely like then maybe they to would be fired with the passion.
Peter I am not sure that I will be able to get a day off for Yalding but I'm working on it.