Editing or cheating?

@Clive

Reaction score
The Zeiss Ikonta is a 120 roll film 6x9 format and works out at over €3 per frame just for film, developing and scanning. Double that if I include prints. I haven't used that yet mainly because I haven't had the time or the light. I managed to do some waterfall and water wheel photos and a few test shots on the 35mm Contaflex one afternoon last week. Hopefully I will finish the roll off in the next few days. I will just have the film developed and scanned. That is about €22 for the 36 shots all in.

@Clive

Reaction score
Going back to the parakeet photo, I think that I might have an idea how the shot was created. If the photographer used multiple exposures, say 3 with suitably reduced ambient exposure for each one, and a couple or more flash heads he could possibly construct the photo by adjusting the flash output to around 25% and taking one shot of close up birds, increasing the flash output anf taking another shot of birds further away and so on. If you look at the photo there are three zones where the birds are grouped; top left for the closer ones, middle for the furthest away and to the right side for the middle distance ones.

It would be very hit and miss with many failures though. And it doesn't look real.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
This photo looks enhanced, but wasn’t. I took it at dusk with the flash on but turned down just enough to light the subject but not the background, which is naturally blurred by the moving water and aperture. This was taken on a camera rather than a phone. I may start to take this camera with me again as it is very compact. It is a Cannon G11, which is also good for self takes due to it’s fully articulated screen.

Penshurst%2002%2002%202015%20018%20mod.jpeg

@Clive

Reaction score
Great photo Ray. You did well to get everything sorted and made a good composition with a flighty subject.

I did a similar thing with an Olympus XA albeit with a more controlled subject. I set the technical stuff up as well as the self timer then rested the camera on the ground leaning back against a rock. While the self timer was counting down I got Zara's attention using her ball.

zara .jpg

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
OK, this is definitely cheating, but that navigation sign ruined a decent view......

X.jpg

1710194661872.jpg

A free Ai programme was an easy tool to do the job.

I spent an hour at the river when the weather and river made fishing too difficult, the camera gave me an excuse to spend time there. At least this shot is "honest".....

Calvignac-02-01.jpeg

Philip

Reaction score
Or just photo the swim and then ask AI how to fish it !

......it replies in a Stephen Hawking voice...trot far bank bush with 3bb stick float, set at 2 foot 6 inches with shirt button shotting and dropper 6 inches from hook. Feed 7 maggots per cast..

Wot fun. :)

Keith M

Reaction score
When I was studying and training to be a naval photographer in Lossiemouth in Scotland many years ago we were learning different Flash and filter techniques and for a class completion I had to photograph the inside of a large Scottish church which was quite dark inside; using a 4x5 format field camera on a tripod; and the exposure was for several minutes using a very small aperture to keep a deep area of focus; plus I was using a furniture red filter to bring out the grain in the wood (which was everywhere).

For the shot during the exposure I had to keep moving while I walked around painting in the darker areas using a portable flash; and at the end of the exposure I got the organ player to sit at his organ and managed to flash him into the shot too. As long as I didn’t stop moving and guarded the flash from the camera I wasn’t registered in the shot.

Keith

Last edited:

@Clive

Reaction score
They used a similar technique when photographing scenes of serious collisions or other incidents at night. The SOCO would set up a Mamiya RB67 on a tripod, set the shutter on B with a small aperture and then walk about firing a flash at various parts of the area being filmed.