Elastic choice

Twiddler

Reaction score
Hello,
i‘m after opinions on which would be the better choice of elastic for the canal in winter, the two I am considering are doubled up Preston’s original No 6 or Daiwa Yellow hydro or is there another option.

Cheers, and thanks for looking.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Double six is fine through a top two.
It acts like a normal six then powers up if anything decent has taken the bait.
I would put a single length of number 4 through a number one section of a match kit ,failing that, a number two of a power kit.

I wouldn't put it through a top two in case you hit anything decent , you will struggle to land it. Whereas through the one section, it will power up and basically bottom out giving you a better chance, and it will be fine for small fish.
I wouldn't use hollow type of elastic in winter , they are more suited for summer.

The above are my own views and personal choice.others on here will possibly have their own views and choices, At the end of the day it what suits you and the venue.

What canal and what stretch are you thinking of fishing ?

nottskev

Reaction score
Is your canal a shallow one or one of the deeper ones found in some areas? You tend to need a stronger elastic to set the hook in 8 or 9' than in 3 or 4'. I've used doubled Preston 6 - but certainly not on a canal, as it's pretty powerful and doesn't match lines of 1.5 - 2lbs at all. I used it for tench! Even doubled 4, another I've used a lot, was for a water where carp where regular gatecrashers. For roach in shallowish swims - up to 3' - I use Middy Hi Vis 3/4 through one section, which is forgiving and won't drag fish up to splash on the strike. Slightly deeper water and possible bigger fish, I use the 4/6 through two sections, again very kind on light lines. For things like bream or deep water, I use their 6/8 - surprising thin and stretchy, and still compatible with lightish lines. Sounds like an ad for Middy, I know, but I found them after decades using all kind of elastic and found them ideal. As for Hydro, I use the black one for tench, but I wouldn't really consider that range for light applications like canals and I think you could buy all three elastics I mentioned for less than a pack of Hydro. If you say a bit more about exactly where you're fishing and what you're after, you might get more specific replies.

nottskev

Reaction score
Hi Mark - hadn't read you post when I posted, so I wasn't out to contradict you. But I'm surprised you'd use a doubled 6 on the cut unless for a particular reason.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Kev, going by the area he is in I would say the main canals would be
The Bridgewater,
Trent and Mersey
Macclesfield Canal.
All shallow as you will know.
That's why I asked what stretch and what canal.
At Agden near the boats or at Oughtrington Bridge I would not hesitate to use double six. The problem is you have to do your own, at on time Preston did it on winders ready done.
I agree with middy solids along with Preston solids, They have been around for years and I have used both.
Also the canal anglers favourite years ago Zim numbers two and three.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Hi Mark - hadn't read you post when I posted, so I wasn't out to contradict you. But I'm surprised you'd use a doubled 6 on the cut unless for a particular reason.
Hi Kev , That's fine, it's why I put they were my views and choices and others will have theirs.
I was going by experience of the Bridgewater Canal.
Agden holds some decent fish both summer and winter along with Oughtrington Bridge section.
I used to fish the turning basin along from the cruising club as well, That held some big perch.
As for the Macclesfield Canal that is mainly small fish along with the Trent and Mersey around Weaverham and top end of Northwich near the salt works.
I missed the Shropshire Union canal out near Beeston castle.
If you hit a pound bream on there as the lock gates open it's like trying to land a four pound tench against the flow.

Twiddler

Reaction score
Double six is fine through a top two.
It acts like a normal six then powers up if anything decent has taken the bait.
I would put a single length of number 4 through a number one section of a match kit ,failing that, a number two of a power kit.

I wouldn't put it through a top two in case you hit anything decent , you will struggle to land it. Whereas through the one section, it will power up and basically bottom out giving you a better chance, and it will be fine for small fish.
I wouldn't use hollow type of elastic in winter , they are more suited for summer.

The above are my own views and personal choice.others on here will possibly have their own views and choices, At the end of the day it what suits you and the venue.

What canal and what stretch are you thinking of fishing ?
Bridgewater canal on the Moorings, depth is around 5’ - 6’ and to catch anything really.

Twiddler

Reaction score
Before I go out and buy some original slip, I have some of the new Daiwa hybrid solid in Yellow, will this be suitable ?

nottskev

Reaction score
That's the lightest of the range and said to equate to 3-5. Should be fine, although you'll need to use it on a puller kit to land any decent fish - hybrid elastic stretches a long way. Are you having to rely on just one topkit? If you have another, you could use this in one and something a bit stronger in another.

Twiddler

Reaction score
That's the lightest of the range and said to equate to 3-5. Should be fine, although you'll need to use it on a puller kit to land any decent fish - hybrid elastic stretches a long way. Are you having to rely on just one topkit? If you have another, you could use this in one and something a bit stronger in another.
Would it work just through the number 1 ?

nottskev

Reaction score
Would it work just through the number 1 ?

Yes. As I said, I use elastic of that rating through one section for roach and other small canal fish. The only problem might be that a big fish will bottom it out. But there's no such thing as one elastic that fits all sizes of fish, and personally I'd go for one that will work well for the fish you're most likely to catch regularly ie smaller ones. If you go too heavy, you just get different problems like bumping fish off on the strike or pulling the hook out when you're shipping back.