Elastic connectors.

seth49

Reaction score
Since I’ve been pole fishing I’ve used the plastic Stanfo connectors to attach my rigs to the elastic, now I’ve got some of the Dacron connectors and I’m thinking of trying them, are there any benefits to doing this, I’ve seen how to put these on off utube, so is one method better than the other, I’d like to know, thanks.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
I prefer the dacron connectors,I have been using Drennan ones that are fire orange,so easy to keep tabs on...

nottskev

Reaction score
I think the dacrons are definitely better for heavier elastics. - the bigger stonfo's are a bit clunky, rattle about a bit, don't sit so nicely and the loop on your rig can sometimes slip over the pole tip and you end up playing a fish with no elastic - a no no for carp! The dacrons feel like there's nothing there.

I still prefer little Stonfo's for solid elastics 3-6.

I'd go for the double loop when connecting your rig to the dacrons. The extra one makes a tag that makes taking it off at the end of the day a piece of cake. I was a bit dubious if this was secure enough, but in practice there's no problem. That's also true of the method of attaching elastic to dacron, ie the dacron loop pulls down against the bump of the knot in your elastic. At first I thought, Is that enough? But again, it works fine.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Nope,never had an issue,as Kev said with lighter elastics stonflo might be better,I don't fish for bits on the pole,so 3-6 elastics aren't in my thoughts,8-10 upwards for me...

nottskev

Reaction score
Nope,never had an issue,as Kev said with lighter elastics stonflo might be better,I don't fish for bits on the pole,so 3-6 elastics aren't in my thoughts,8-10 upwards for me...
Oi! What's with the "bits"? I catch all sorts on 3-6 elastics :)

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
I use the bead method, where the line is looped direct onto the elastic, stopped by a knot and covered by a bead. Simple, direct and effective.

GT56

Reaction score
I attach my pole using Dacron connectors and I'm convinced it's easier. However, when fishing tight to the far bank on a canal, I did manage to tangle the small loop of the connecting loops with a bramble and lost the rig. Snip the small loop apparently is what I should have done when fishing close to snags.

rayner

Reaction score
I use Dacron, mostly for the ease of fastening to rigs with my limitations taking rigs off is also easier

seth49

Reaction score
I’ve just renewed the elastic in two of my top kits, and fitted Dacron connectors to them, will hopefully try them on Thursday and see how I get on with them, they do look neater although the double loop nylon connection is a bit awkward to do, thanks for the reply’s appreciate it.

seth49

Reaction score
Well first time with the Dacron connectors yesterday, they seem to work better, I hooked nearly every bite, hardly missed any, and I had a 5lb carp on a 3lb hooklenghth which gave a good fight too, so so far I’m impressed.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
The connection doesn't catch your fish though Seth,however,it can make things tidier and more efficient,a bit like puller kits,which are a definite help from my perspective,where I'm fishing for decent fish on the pole....

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Dacron connectors and similar style set ups will give you better contact when you strike due to the way the Dacron hangs from the pole tip.
There are various types of Dacron connectors, also the the way @Golden Eagle uses is a neat method.
Another is the crows foot . The line sits behind a knot in the elastic.
Many years ago the elastic was tied to a paper clip or staple and the line at the other end of staple or clip, covered over by silicone tubing .
This was in the days of Zim number 3.

seth49

Reaction score
I certainly hooked more bites with the Dacrons than I used to do with the stonfos, both Jamie Hughes and Andy May said the same in their video on elastic connectors, which was made me try them.