Elastic

Reaction score
Hi wanted to know what your most versatile elastic would be for a mixed fishery Have an oldish MAP 13mtr competition pole. 1 top 2 and 1 competition match have pulla in top 2 Thanks

seth49

Reaction score
I’ve been using the Preston Dura slip this year and I really like it, the size thirteen is a good all round elastic if there’s carp as well as silvers, for margin carp with big double figure carp I’ve started using the same in a size 19, which does the job, and at just under £7.00 for three metres it’s very reasonably priced.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I’ve been using the Preston Dura slip this year and I really like it, the size thirteen is a good all round elastic if there’s carp as well as silvers, for margin carp with big double figure carp I’ve started using the same in a size 19, which does the job, and at just under £7.00 for three metres it’s very reasonably priced.
What's it like compared to hollo ? and slip solid ?
I have 13h,15h,17h in some topkits, and slip solid from 6 upto 12 in others.
Microbore( can't remember brand in others, wish I could it's good stuff)

seth49

Reaction score
I prefer it to hollow elastic, it powers up quicker and I seem more in control, it’s still stretches a long way if needed, but it seems to strengthen more when you use the side puller, the size nineteen I really like for margin carp it doesn’t stretch much, and it seems to stop them rushing off as much, it stops them getting up to speed and puts you in control quicker.

The other two are good as well, had plenty of tench on them plus roach and skimmers, and there fine for smaller carp, I’ve tried a few elastics, and these are the best I’ve used, I am using a margin pole the Preston edge monster ten metres pole, and I find I don’t bump as many silvers etc if I set my lighter elastics on the slack side, there all on side pullers.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I prefer it to hollow elastic, it powers up quicker and I seem more in control, it’s still stretches a long way if needed, but it seems to strengthen more when you use the side puller, the size nineteen I really like for margin carp it doesn’t stretch much, and it seems to stop them rushing off as much, it stops them getting up to speed and puts you in control quicker.

The other two are good as well, had plenty of tench on them plus roach and skimmers, and there fine for smaller carp, I’ve tried a few elastics, and these are the best I’ve used, I am using a margin pole the Preston edge monster ten metres pole, and I find I don’t bump as many silvers etc if I set my lighter elastics on the slack side, there all on side pullers.
In my margin poles I have solid 16, sold 14/16 and yellow drennan bungee which I think is 6/8. That is for open water work. The other two for down the side. All e kits on pullers.
For snags I have 2 margin poles, one has solid 18 through a 12" length of topkit the other has the same through 2' length of topkit. These are for hit and hold situations.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
In my opinion the hybrid elastic has been a step forward in performance for the reasons cited by Seth above. It seems to give a little more control than hollow.
What is apparent though, is that different manufacturers ratings are different so I judge it by diameter. These are what I’m using:
For all round commercial work 1.8mm (0.13 hooklength)
For bigger fish 2.2mm (0.15-0.17)
For snaggy swims 2.6mm (0.20)
Silvers 1.4mm (0.09-0.11)

All my Summer fishing on the first 2.

I’m always trying to keep my choices simple and rely on as few elastics as I can get away with, as I know their capabilities.

I buy my elastic from a guy online and it works out at just over £1 per metre. Have some slick and duraslip in same diameters and cannot discern any difference.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
In my opinion the hybrid elastic has been a step forward in performance for the reasons cited by Seth above. It seems to give a little more control than hollow.
What is apparent though, is that different manufacturers ratings are different so I judge it by diameter. These are what I’m using:
For all round commercial work 1.8mm (0.13 hooklength)
For bigger fish 2.2mm (0.15-0.17)
For snaggy swims 2.6mm (0.20)
Silvers 1.4mm (0.09-0.11)

All my Summer fishing on the first 2.

I’m always trying to keep my choices simple and rely on as few elastics as I can get away with, as I know their capabilities.

I buy my elastic from a guy online and it works out at just over £1 per metre. Have some slick and duraslip in same diameters and cannot discern any difference.
Nick Gilbert elastic ?

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
I have used NG extensively in the past but a guy called Dan’s Pole Elastic on Facebook at the moment.

He sent me 10m of the wrong stuff on my second order, I notified him and he replaced it immediately with the right stuff and an apology so I recommend.

Got 12m for £12.50 delivered last time which is fantastic value for money.

rayner

Reaction score
I like hybrid elastic, at the moment I am using Nufish Zipp. For silvers 1.2mm, 4 to 6, for carp 1.8mm, 10 to 12. With a puller.
Baring in mind I fish water with no snags. I have no need to land fish quick the softer grades of elastic help to guide the fish out of my swim.
4.99 for 3m is a bargain.