Elastics

Graeme Walker

Reaction score
Hi I am new to pole fishing and as a result of being loaned a pole I am now waiting for the delivery of a G90 XLS. My fishing so far is small f1 tench skimmers roach. Can someone advise a rough guide on elastics for the newbie

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I think the G90 comes with 7 topkits,
More match or More Power.
Depending on which you have ordered, I woul do say 4 - 6 in two top kits, 6- 8 in another two kits, 8 -10 in the other two and a 14 in the last one,
The kits will have interlastic side pullers and also be ready bushed.
I would ask the shop to elasticate it for you also what would they reccomend.
I cant comment on hybrid elastic because I never use it, All my elastics are either Preston Hollow, Slip solid , or a micro bore elastic from a company I cant remember.

MikeyF

Reaction score
I'm a bit late to the party but you may not yet have received your G90, or if you have not yet splashed out on the elastics.

I have a Whisker and so started with a similar set of top kits - i went for the more power package last October - having blown apart a vintage pole I bought second hand to try out pole fishing....

I have used Drennan, NG, and then Matrix Slik before finally settling on Preston Dura-Slip which is their relatively new hybrid elastic. I prefer it to Matrix as I find it more durable and also it powers up better - Slik just seemed to stretch and stretch and stretch. In the winter you might be OK on 7 for Skimmers and Roach and if careful smaller F1s and Tench. In spring, summer and autumn you'd be far better off which 9 for your silvers and 11 for F1s and Tench. As it is very soft on the strike and with 7 top kits I'd be tempted to go 2 x 7, 2 x 9, 2 x 11 and a 13 which should handle match sized carp assuming you are away from snags.

Should you decide to go for more top kits then take a look at the DWA pulla-kits from Preston which fit UK Daiwa poles. I picked up a couple of short grey top kits for summer shalla fishing and used 1 pack of Duraslip 11 to do both kits nice and pingy. £45 each instead of £110 for the longer Daiwa interlastic kits.

HTH