End of night fishing?

G

Gary Knowles

Paul,

Heron bite alarms ! .......lol.....they were great weren't they. Went off every 30 seconds or everytime a time a leaf fell on your line and then the wire never moved and they remained silent when you got a screamer !

Only the reel handle on the mitchell 300 churning wildly would alert you to a take.............those were the days.

I think i also wore wellies and 2 pairs of nylon socks through winter in those days and spent half my day walking in circles around my peg trying to keep my feet warm !

K

Kevan Busby

What about the old Fairy Liquid bottle top bite indicators then, much better than the silver paper. Seriously though, anglers hitting the booze when night fishing (Not just the carpers)is becoming a problem. I to have had to dash over 150 yards in the early hours to land some piss-heads fish while he's slabbed out in his bivvy. What about the so called mates who turn up late in the evening then party all night - anyone else have this problem on their waters? With the improvement in technology, sleeping bags (remember the Isralie Army bags that we used to use in the 70's) need not be zipped up, bivvy doors can be left open and flip-flops left right by the bedchair, I can be on the rods in a matter of seconds. Most of us are sensible in our approach, but like anything else in life it will only take a small minority to bugger it up for everybody else. TTFN

S

Steve Burke

This rule could backfire on Prince Albert as I can see disgruntled carp anglers getting together and outbidding the club when their leases come up for renewal. Or do Prince Albert own all their waters?

P

Paul Williams

I dunno if they own them or not Steve....but it's a good job you don't live further North and want to join ;o).....i reckon you are now above even me on their black list....teehee.
PA, you could prove me wrong and offer me imidiate membership......;o)

P

Paul Williams

Gary,
My feet were never cold.......i discovered sheep at a young age ;o)

G

Gary Knowles

Its as close as he can get to giving someone a foot Andy !

P

Paul Williams

Gary,
talking about Nylon "socks" i "know" a fella who wore ladies tights under his thick welly socks in the old winter days.......one day after a cold days piking he called in to his local for a beer, he put his leg up on a stool and his trouser leg rode up displaying a fine hairy leg covered in 10 denier black silk.....well i'm sure you can imagine the rest in a crowded bar deep in the Blackcountry!!!

M

Mike Parker

Whatever happened to the Penny balanced on the spool over a china plate? (You have to make use of the plate after you've eaten the freshly prepared commorant curry.
I don't do many all nighters these days but when I do I get more than a little p'd of having to listen to the constant buzzings from alarms 'attended' by 'comatose' fishermen. I dont think alcohol is that much of a problem its the ability of people to go into a complete state of 'rigor mortice'.

R

Robert Woods

Does anyone remember in Carp Fever how Keven Maddocks set his bedchair next to his rods ready for action.Do carp anglers miss many runs hidden in their bivies?

J

James Bradshaw

I don't consider this a major problem for me - I only go night-fishing in summer, so what I do is stay awake at night, when the fishing is (normally) better, then catch the odd nap throughout the heat of the day, when the fishing slows down anyway. (I work nights anyway, so it's not a shock to my system doing this.)