ESP Quickdraw unhooking mat

chrisjpainter

Reaction score
Anyone using one of these? I like the idea of it, but have heard mixed reports of how well the drawstring system works and whether it's padded enough. If anyone's using one, I'd appreciate their imput

Ged28

Reaction score
I've had one for a couple of years, large size, and I'm quite happy with it. I've seen the criticism's you mentioned, but have had no problem's with the drawstrings. (I'll probably snap one now) I think the padding is perfectly adequate, others may disagree. The first time I used it and rolled it up wet I noticed air bubbles coming up through the stitching, I thought that this may indicate it would absorb water, but has not been the case. The eyelets have a bit of rust on them, but remain intact. I think ESP used to advertise that that it was suitable for carrying fish back to the water, I have not used it for this as I don't think the walls are stiff enough or high enough.

chrisjpainter

Reaction score
I've had one for a couple of years, large size, and I'm quite happy with it. I've seen the criticism's you mentioned, but have had no problem's with the drawstrings. (I'll probably snap one now) I think the padding is perfectly adequate, others may disagree. The first time I used it and rolled it up wet I noticed air bubbles coming up through the stitching, I thought that this may indicate it would absorb water, but has not been the case. The eyelets have a bit of rust on them, but remain intact. I think ESP used to advertise that that it was suitable for carrying fish back to the water, I have not used it for this as I don't think the walls are stiff enough or high enough.
That's very useful; thanks for the post. I tend to return fish either with the net or from the way sling, so carrying the fish back in the unhooking mat isn't a big deal. The large seems the size to go for; it seems pretty mobile still, which is what's drawn me to it.