Esp Syncro XT loaded.....and knots.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
I have been told by a few on these forums that certain brands of mono make for better hook-lengths where abrasion resistance is paramount. Having lost a few big carp to snags, I have tied up some hair rigs on a couple of mono brands that were mentioned.

Anyway, not hooked a big fish yet on either the Gardner G60X in 15lb .40 or the Esp Syncro XT Loaded in 12lb .33 to form an opinion on the abrasion resistance. Neither were my first choice of line but were the nearest in their ranges that were available - stock shortages wherever I looked. Living in France is not helping either!

The Gardner looks a good line and my favourite knots were tested. Both the the King-Sling loop knot and Palomar on this 15lb line broke at 18lb multiple times. I thought that was good!

When the ESP Syncro Loaded 12lb arrived I felt it was too thin. The spool says it is .33 but when I measured it the vernier showed .31.

So I expected to be disappointed when I got the scales out - but WOW!

Both King-Sling and Palomar knots were tested several times and never once did this line break at less than 14lb, most breaks were at 16lb. This must be about the strongest mono I have found yet for its diameter, and it "feels" nice to use.

For those of you who have not used the King-Sling knot here is a YouTube video, it shares similarity with the Palomar and is so easy to tie.........

Now I have full confidence in these two lines and my knots I will have to catch some fish and check abrasion resistance!

Last edited:

Zyvis

Reaction score
Synchro is very tough indeed. It did well in my tests too.
I liked the original XT one, and it still has a massive following
I prefer two other lines though which I consider the best of the best. One of them is very old hat but happens to be the best selling line in the World, the other one is simply sensational and doesn't have the following it used to for some odd reason.
I would use Synchro XT again if I had to, or CM90 (which has gone missing for a while prior to a relaunch), and any Gardner line
I never touch braid any more and hate that trend. It is very unsuitable for most carp fishing.

Zyvis

Reaction score
Synchro is very tough indeed. It did well in my tests too.
I liked the original XT one, and it still has a massive following
I prefer two other lines though which I consider the best of the best. One of them is very old hat but happens to be the best selling line in the World, the other one is simply sensational and doesn't have the following it used to for some odd reason.
I would use Synchro XT again if I had to, or CM90 (which has gone missing for a while prior to a relaunch), and any Gardner line
I never touch braid any more and hate that trend. It is very unsuitable for most carp fishing.
PS I wouldn't use 12lb for hooklinks unless I was going for small fish. You'd be better off with 18lb for general carp fishing. If the eyes of the hooks are a problem, use Fox Edges they have large eyes

nottskev

Reaction score
I have been told by a few on these forums that certain brands of mono make for better hook-lengths where abrasion resistance is paramount. Having lost a few big carp to snags, I have tied up some hair rigs on a couple of mono brands that were mentioned.

Anyway, not hooked a big fish yet on either the Gardner G60X in 15lb .40 or the Esp Syncro XT Loaded in 12lb .33 to form an opinion on the abrasion resistance. Neither were my first choice of line but were the nearest in their ranges that were available - stock shortages wherever I looked. Living in France is not helping either!

The Gardner looks a good line and my favourite knots were tested. Both the the King-Sling loop knot and Palomar on this 15lb line broke at 18lb multiple times. I thought that was good!

When the ESP Syncro Loaded 12lb arrived I felt it was too thin. The spool says it is .33 but when I measured it the vernier showed .31.

So I expected to be disappointed when I got the scales out - but WOW!

Both King-Sling and Palomar knots were tested several times and never once did this line break at less than 14lb, most breaks were at 16lb. This must be about the strongest mono I have found yet for its diameter, and it "feels" nice to use.

For those of you who have not used the King-Sling knot here is a YouTube video, it shares similarity with the Palomar and is so easy to tie.........

Now I have full confidence in these two lines and my knots I will have to catch some fish and check abrasion resistance!

Well that's good to hear. I'm just starting my second 1000m spool of ESP syncro in 12lb. I've used it for all my "open water" barbelling for 3 years and I've found it very good. I've used different brands for the 15lb needed on the rockier, snaggier swims. It was recommended by a bloke in a local tackle shop who's a very successful big-fish angler and can service your Shimano reels blindfold. Confidence in a line is a big help.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
PS I wouldn't use 12lb for hooklinks unless I was going for small fish. You'd be better off with 18lb for general carp fishing. If the eyes of the hooks are a problem, use Fox Edges they have large eyes
Most of my carp captures have come whilst fishing for barbel. The barbel in the Lot run to about 8 lbs and I usually use my Prodigy 1.5 lb tc barbel rod. So the 12 lb hook length is probably heavier than that rod should use, but it does give some resistance to abrasion with the right material.

I take a heavier 2nd rod for when the barrage is letting out water as the river can change from a "lake" to full on spate in quite a short time! This is a telescopic pike rod that has a bendy tip but a vast power reserve in the lower half. My bigger carp (to 44lb) have been taken on this rod, fortunately, and I can use heavier hook-lengths.

Hence my choice of these two lines in different BS. As I said most tackle shops were out of stock of so much, I had looked for other Gardner lines but ended up with the G60X and took a chance on the ESP Syncro. Even then they sent me the "Loaded" version when I had ordered the other!

Braid I use for main line, always with a decent length of leader. Again the leader needs good abrasion resistance and to be slightly higher BS than the hook-length. Never yet been pulled deep enough into the snags to fray the braid!

Yesterday I tested the "No-Knot" knot on the Syncro. Glad to see the 12 lb line "only" managed 11 lb with this knot. That is strong enough and substantially less than the King-Sling loop knot. Happy to have the weakest link at the hook!

If I was a dedicated carp-only angler I would step up my gear and deliberately fish the snags (where they shelter). As I do short sessions of just 2hr-6hr I prefer fishing for barbel. The carp come out to feed in more open water occasionally, that's when I catch them.

This 13 pounder taken on the barbel rod, 12 lb Seaguar AbrazX Fluoro frayed to hell!

Cenevieres carp 13lb.jpg

chevin4

Reaction score
I think the original Syncro 12lb is fair more abrasive resistant than the loaded version. I was using both yesterday whilst barbel fishing I was broken using the loaded version on my first cast I switched to the original and had no further problems landing 8 fish from a very tight swim. Physically the loaded version is a nicer line being more supple than the original which is similar to GR60. I love the loaded version for gravel pit bream fishing as it sinks like a stone and being very supple makes it easy to thread tubing whereas I find the original difficult. Horses for courses I guess.

mikench

Reaction score
Steve do you use the King Sling loop directly though a hook eye like a Palomar or with a loop to loop with your hook length?

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Steve do you use the King Sling loop directly though a hook eye like a Palomar or with a loop to loop with your hook length?

My hooks-lengths are with a knotless knot to the hook when using hair rigs or a Palomar knot when fishing bait directly on the hook. The other end of the hook-length is the King Sling loop knot for attaching to a quick change type swivel on the end of my mainline.

I usually have a couple of end rigs baited and ready to clip on. Hooks get blunted and I like to get a fresh trace out quickly as my fishing sessions are generally short.

Much prefer to have this sorted at my tackle bench at home. Good lighting and reading glasses and I can be sure my knots are good and hooks sharp. I often bait a couple of rigs and drop them in a bag - all ready to clip on after my 10 minute drive to the river.