Everywhere is rammed !

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I thought I'd best start a new thread about this before Simon got all previous about hijacking his HDYGO ? Thread.

It seems others have experienced the same as me this year......everywhere you go is packed solid with anglers. I've no doubt a lot of these are furloughed anglers and many others are just furloughed blokes having a go at fishing....maybe for the first time. Call me curmudgeonly but I like a bit of room and peace when I go fishing.....I do not want to sit in a line listening to blokes yelling at their mates all day long.

I mostly fish club waters too....not day ticket waters but all year I've hardly been able to get a spot and that niggles when I'm paying well over £100 a year. The clubs,no doubt, are rubbing their hands at the income and rising membership but I wonder how happy the Hon Treasurer and his mates will be when they find they cannot get within half a mile of their favourite spots. There are some waters which I've not been near this year because of it and I may well not renew some clubs next year.

Have you experienced this too ? How do you feel about it ?

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Locally most still water venues are pretty busy. I think that is due mostly to furlough . . . . . fancy getting paid 80% of normal to go fishing

However, my local stretches of the river are still almost deserted, and I like it that way ;)

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Nice and peaceful here skip and not far from your house..

8B7F55AA-12DE-4464-B741-F39A1D0E0FD4.jpeg

rayner

Reaction score
I'm surrounded by fisheries all commercial, apart from one I fancied joining that I found out belonged to a powerboat club, they used the water for skiing. That put an end to that idea. There's the river Don with a good head of fish but that's out of my reach.
The fisheries I do use are far too busy for me, walking is not my strong point so easy to access pegs are a must. They are first to be taken, a bit of a bind for me but first come and all that.
I used to moan about the furloughed but I would have been with them at another time. Fill your boots chaps I'll wait for quieter times.

Reaction score
Fishing clubs shut their doors around here almost as soon as books became available,now the club i'm in are offering mid-season tickets,so the water is awash with anglers...how odd is that.

Aknib

Reaction score
I've not been fishing during the current lockdown as I'm not furloughed but I did have two river sessions and a stillwater session shortly before, in total I think I saw two other anglers.

I can't imagine fishing in busy places anymore, I guess I've got it pretty good in that respect.

I have heard of some very local day ticket waters getting rammed but I turned my back on them for other reasons long before all this came about.

I'm half tempted to have a go on Sunday but nowhere where I would expect to see many if any other anglers.

steve2

Reaction score
Two of my clubs closed membership when waters were getting too busy. Strangely one of them then opened up some of it's more popular still water venues to members friends on a day ticket. This move as brought complaints from some members unable to get on their favourite waters.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
You are very lucky, Steve. I can think of several places near me where I'd only see the occasional angler......but I'd also only see the occasional fish. Not quite what I want.

And dont be fooled by Simon's post. It looks peaceful enough but I can assure you its not. There may not be many anglers but there are myriads of dog walkers, buggied up mums, joggers and random herberts wandering about.

Keith M

Reaction score
The estate lake is still a quiet and peaceful place to fish; as the number of members we have is strictly limited on the lease.

However on my other clubs book there has been a marked increase in the number of anglers fishing the more popular venues this year so I’ve been keeping away from them and have been sticking to the less popular out of the way river venues which are away from built up areas.

Keith

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Today on a club water there were 3 anglers all day and that total includes Gordon and I. It was bliss by comparison to the canal last time out. I must admit that the sheer number of dog walkers ,cyclists and silly women spoilt it for me. Throw in several boats sailing past and poor fishing and , bluntly , canals hold little allure. I do like solitude and having any conversations with other anglers. On the canal a lady stopped behind me so I couldnt safely cast. When I looked at her she asked if there were any fish in the canal. I think I said I just enjoyed setting up on the bank and pretending.

In the summer my current favourite was rammed on a few occasions but it has calmed down since. ? bombing along at 20 mph without sounding a bell or slowing down are downright dangerous when you are fishing. If fishing poles had the rigidity and strength of a scaffolding pole I might get one. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Anglers will surge to waters until things get more unpleasant,colder and fewer bites are to be had,lets be honest here,anglers of lesser ability,will struggle,we all find it more difficult,however much knowledge we might have(or not,lol)...

peterjg

Reaction score
Just got in from a day on the river Loddon - normal service resumed - blanked - had only one bite which I missed. Only two other anglers there.

john step

Reaction score
Just got back from my first winter piking trip on a river. I wandered a fair way maybe 3 or 4 miles and saw about 6 anglers. Glorious sunshine but only one jack to show for it. Enjoyed it nevertheless.
As I packed up as darkness fell three 30 somethings arrived, donned swimming costumes and dived in. The fools. It was mild but not that mild!

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I went to a spot I mentioned in the HDYGO thread last week and at first light too and it was already almost full so I tried a couple of other places and they were both empty of other anglers, but not very productive.

Going walkabout with a spinning rod is a good way of exploring unfamiliar waters. On one shallow lake I visited I spotted some reasonable carp feeding in one of the really shallow parts of the lake. I may return for a crack when it warms up.

I joined a new club and it has some very promising swims. I have emailed the secretary to ask about night fishing as they don’t specify either way. Not that I particularly want to stay all night, but well into dark would be nice. My main club has the adjoining stretch and it definitely isn’t allowed there. I saw only two anglers there on my last visit. There are quite a few good looking swims. One I fancy has a pumping station pool entering the main river. The pool and opposite bank aren’t fished so a bait placed at the entrance may be good. My fishing mojo is working overtime lately. I can hardly wait for the next trip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have no doubt that most places are at least a bit busier than previous years. Even the places I frequent, that rarely sees other anglers, have been a touch busier this year. I accept that the area I live in hardly has the population density of the Home Counties, but I'm struggling to believe that "everywhere is rammed". Is this not even a touch hyperbolic? Can folks seriously not find somewhere that's less than full? Now if people mean that they only frequent the most popular club, day ticket and commercial venues and these are all even busier than normal, I will understand, otherwise, I'm sorry, but I'm struggling to believe you.

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
I would have thought it was a good thing that there are more people taking up angling.

It has often been said there is not enough youngsters coming into fishing.

The winter will steady things up but these are strange times indeed.