Expander pellets

mikench

Reaction score
I remain unconvinced about these as a go to bait having had mixed success. I now only use the Sonubait ones and have been watching a Des Shipp video about preparing them. I have been just covering them in water as opposed to placing them in an airtight container half full of pellets and then filled to the brim with water. They are then kept in water. Is this where I have been going wrong I ask my self with an air of disinterest ?

Anyway I will try this method. How does one add flavour, to the water or to the individual pellets?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score

short memory?

Reaction score
Expander pellets are a brilliant bait when nuisance fish allow,getting good expanders however can be difficult,indeed it can be a holy grail type search,someone told me about sonubaits ones that you put in water for an hour or two,remove the water,and leave in a sealed box,they look good,but seem flavourless,the best I've used are not made anymore,but I bought plenty...
I take it Simon you refer to the thread before about expenders?

seth49

Reaction score
I use the Sonu ones now, following des ships method of very cold water and filling the container to the top, and placing in my bait fridge for a couple of hours, till they’ve swollen to size, I then pour nearly all the water off then, and replace it with flavouring, pineapple is good or crab, I like to add red food dye to some as well, this is done the night before I go.

I’ve done well with these, sometimes mould a bit of soft paste around them as well, they help the paste stay on the hook better, and if I’m feeding 2 mm pellets I’ll press a few of these into the paste occasionally as well, my favourite expander pellets now.

Reaction score
Not being dismissive in anyway,but is this on commercials Seth where the fish are looking for anything pellet like,I find on natural waters the pellet has to be more attractive,both feed and hooker.

mikench

Reaction score

short memory?

Indeed Peter. I consider the thrust of my thread was rather different though, referring as it does, to a specific brand and a method of preparation which I hadn't previously followed. Maybe the end result is superior if one does. Seth has kindly advised how and at what stage he adds colouring and flavouring so again helpful. I hadn't previously used very cold water and kept them in the fridge. I will do that next time. Thanks for the comments.

My memory for some things isn't what it was; could it be age?

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
No not over stocked commercials, just club waters which are stocked but not to excess, in fact one of the best baits I’ve used this year is worm, I’ve had nearly all my margin carp on these this year, the rest on mussel, with worm all the fish will have them, mainly use pellets at about six metres on the pole for F1s and silvers.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Mike get either a PI pellet pump, or a large syringe off Amazon .
A handful of expanders in small container.
If you want to fish pellet put a few pellets in pump or syringe, pump a few times ,add flavour at this stage if required, remove air from pump, tip pellets in small bait box and just cover with water. Takes about 5 minutes.
Replenish as required.
These are fine for short cast/lob.Not for feeder/leger work
Seeing as you dont pole fish ,I would stick with Dynamite baits soft hookers, or sonubaits soft hookers.these withstand heavy casts and can also be hair rigged.so fine for feeder / leger as well

rayner

Reaction score
Regardless of which expanders you prefer (I like pro and bait tech) they are brilliant, catch anything from small sivers to big margin carp.
There are times when hard pellets are better, discounting expanders would be a mistake.

Reaction score
Absolutely,a real great bait expanders,I find spring,late Autumn and winter they are essential when feeding pellets.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Funny things expanders. 2-3 seasons ago it was all I ever took to one water,the fish loved them. I think I was on Ringers. Then I couldn't get the damned things to behave when preparing them and the fish went right off them. I've tried another couple of brands but they just dont seem to work for me anymore....not that I fish the sort of waters where they might do well anyway. I've switched to Swim Stim durable hookers,the ones in the little tubs that look like Jelly Tots. This year they are proving pretty damned lethal for the crucians & tench where I fish combined with 2-3 mm feed pellets.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I am talking from ignorance here as I have never used them, one reason being why are they a go to bait with all this soaking, leaving in the fridge, pumping with pumps etc. They sound a pain to me.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Funny things expanders. 2-3 seasons ago it was all I ever took to one water,the fish loved them. I think I was on Ringers. Then I couldn't get the damned things to behave when preparing them and the fish went right off them. I've tried another couple of brands but they just dont seem to work for me anymore....not that I fish the sort of waters where they might do well anyway. I've switched to Swim Stim durable hookers,the ones in the little tubs that look like Jelly Tots. This year they are proving pretty damned lethal for the crucians & tench where I fish combined with 2-3 mm feed pellets.
I looked these up on Google, they look like something I have been looking for, are they any good on rivers? What flavours do you use/ Thanks....

Keith M

Reaction score
I’ve never nowingly used ‘expander’ pellets although I’m a regular pellet user. I’ve always thought that ‘expanders’ were just another money grabbing gimmick requiring the user to buy pellet pumps and expander pellets before using them.

If I need soft pellets then I either buy already soft pellets or dip them in water then pour the water away and let them soften over an hour or two or even overnight and without having to buy a gimmick pellet pump and expanders.

I still catch plenty of fish on normal pellets; as many or even more than the anglers around me who are using ‘expanders’.
If this changes then I might change my mind and try them, but I honestly doubt it :)

Keith

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
There are plenty of anglers who aren't quite sold on the use of expanders. far more anglers know how good they can be.
Where pellet pumps are concerned, they are not strictly needed. Expanders work better to my way of thinking just soaked, all that's needed t sink them is once they are hooked give them a little squeeze between your finger and thumb to make them sink a little more slowly. Of course hard pellets work well in some cases but for me expanders out fish soft hookers you find in tubs.
I'm not trying to convince anyone expanders are better than any other pellet baits, it's better for expander uses, non-believers to keep away from expanders, after all, they are haunted. Oooo. o_O

bracket

Reaction score
I use expander extensively and with a high level of success on still waters. In fact the first match I have fished in the last twenty years I won easily using expanders. That was on a carp free club water. I use, in the main, 4mm and 6mm pellets by Ringer, Bait Tech and Sensas. These need to be pumped. In the case of Ringer and Bait Tech, usually twice. More recently I have been using the Des Ship Sonobait pellets, mostly on the hook, and found them to be excellent. Ringer pellets do tend to pick up the better fish, like tench, but I agree with Skippy they can be temperament, often turning to mush after an hour or so. For that reason I prefer to feed them and fish a Sonobait pellet on the hook, using a 16 or 14 Derren silver fish hook. Regarding the use of a pellet pump, I find this no more arduous then mixing and riddling groundbait, for example. It is the case that nothing worthwhile ever came easy. Apart from making babies that is. Pete.

Keith M

Reaction score
If I were to half fill a bait box with normal pellets and add a little water and give them a shake, then drain the water away and leave them over night I’d have lovely soft sinking pellets; which will have expanded anyway; and will stay on the hook well and retain their flavour too; and also take additional flavours if it’s required, so I just can’t see why expanders would be anything different for me, as I catch plenty of fish on normal pellets prepared in this way anyway and haven’t ever needed to change and buy a pellet pump yet. And I don’t fish commercials either, or use a Pole or a ‘Pellet’ waggler.

But if you think they have magical properties and you have confidence in using them, who am I to say anything different. I’m definately not convinced myself yet though. :unsure: :)

Keith

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I looked these up on Google, they look like something I have been looking for, are they any good on rivers? What flavours do you use/ Thanks....
Do you mean the Swin Stim durables ? I've not used them on rivers and at 4 squid a tub as far as I'm concerned they are most definately for the hook only. Flavourwise I've found the sweet F1 outfishes all the others comfortably though the Red Krill is good too....but I'm targetting tench and crucians.What I like is that you can stick a pot in your bag and they seem to last for ever... i'm still catching on a pot I bought last year though they are getting a bit dry now. Outfishing all other baits for me atm...but not today !

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Do you mean the Swin Stim durables ? I've not used them on rivers and at 4 squid a tub as far as I'm concerned they are most definately for the hook only. Flavourwise I've found the sweet F1 outfishes all the others comfortably though the Red Krill is good too....but I'm targetting tench and crucians.What I like is that you can stick a pot in your bag and they seem to last for ever... i'm still catching on a pot I bought last year though they are getting a bit dry now. Outfishing all other baits for me atm...but not today !
Thanks, yes I meant the swim stim ones, I will look for them anyway, I was hoping for a river tench yesterday as it happens and the sweet ones might just not be eel magnets although the krill ones probably are. Not had much luck with a few different types of ready made go to soft hooker pellets that keep in the tackle bag so far. Might be worth a try.

Reaction score
I'm afraid good expanders are an absolutely brilliant bait and far from being money grabbing they are very cost effective,I only prepare fifty or so at a time,in a pump,which I carry with me when I intend their use,if I need more,or there is a deterioration in the texture of my remaining pellets,I do some more,a bag lasts at least fifteen trips,probably a lot more,feed is hard pellet,dampened in spring and winter,gimmicks they certainly are not,but as in all things,some products are poor and not fit for purpose...