Fake sweetcorn

steve2

Reaction score
Shouldn't worry about things getting caught in fish stomachs when you see what fish eat and pass through them.

Last edited:

chevin4

Reaction score
I think fake sweetcorn I use the Enterprise product is better then the real thing as small roach etc can't whittle down. I normally use fake sweetcorn on my method rod for tench. The fake stuff takes on a chosen flavour well and I normally use it set up on a KD rig popped up by using a small shot on the hair

Philip

Reaction score
I am not a fan of fake baits. I have no doubts they can work & some on here have done very well on them but I have little confidence in them.

I have tried the basic test a few times - catching a fish a chuck on a real maggot, stick on a fake one and nothing. Back to real and it’s a fish a chuck again. It destroys your confidence big time and especially the idea of casting out a fake bait into the pond for any sort of sit and wait type fishing.

I think fake baits are probably best used in competitive feeding situations and two situations I would consider it ..if I was speed fishing, say bleak bashing for example and had them really boiling for it then I suspect a fake bait would save a lot of time not having to rebait.

The other situation is if I after big fish and was worried little fish were stripping baits off…I might combine a fake with a real bait so I know at least something is still going to be out there for the long haul even if the chances of it being taken are low. I sometimes use a bit of foam to pop a bait up, that could also be replaced by a fake bait.

All that said its worth noting the record Carp was once caught on a fake bit of corn.

Last edited:

INearlyCaughtOne

Reaction score
Not really fake because it is bait but I use that 2 in 1 bait and roll it between the fingers to look like a maggot before hooking it. It does work. Maybe because it is a bait genuinely, but the maggot shape helps. Does anyone else use the 2 in 1 stuff?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Not really fake because it is bait but I use that 2 in 1 bait and roll it between the fingers to look like a maggot before hooking it. It does work. Maybe because it is a bait genuinely, but the maggot shape helps. Does anyone else use the 2 in 1 stuff?
Fjuka ? I use it regularly, have the white, yellow red and black.
Not used the red or black yet but had great sport on the white and yellow.
Also use Maryuku JPZ pellets, they are good on the day.

rayner

Reaction score
The only times I have used fake baits have been fake casters for Ide up in the water. The only effective way is only when fish are really competing for the feed, they snatch at the fake casters hooking themselves.
The fake baits seem to be ignored more often than not if they are laid on the deck giving the fish time to inspect the bait if they actually do inspect baits without taking the bait in their mouths.

INearlyCaughtOne

Reaction score
@markcw Yeah good stuff. I have used the red and that has been successful, especially smaller bream etc. I also find mixing it lose in-ground bait can be really good as well.

riverman

Reaction score
once saw a bloke pull dozens of roach out on a piece of rubber corn.never used it to be honest but the proof is in the pudding as they say.

maceo

Reaction score
Same as the OP, fine on ordinary sweetcorn, but not even a nibble on the fake stuff the one time I tried (and fairly quickly abandoned) it.

Andydj

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has had much success with this as a bait? I was using normal sweetcorn recently and was getting bite after bite, but as soon as I put on some fake corn, the fish wouldn’t touch it. Mind you, it was only £1.99 for about 10 pieces. Just wondering if any particular brand is better and works?
TIA
Did you know that some people believe that the plastic they use to make fake baits and other bits and pieces such as lead clips has an inherent attraction due to the components in the plastic? Crude oil is used which is itself made up of plankton I believe.
On that basis there is a theory that the unflavoured varieties are more attractive to fish than the flavoured ones.
Personally I have caught plenty of fish, mainly Carp, on plastic corn. A few on just plastic corn but mainly used as a topper and mainly used to balance baits rather than for any form of attraction.
It could be, because of the way they feed, that it is more effective for Carp on self hooking rigs, as opposed to other fish. All manner of things are sucked and blown in and out and a good rig will hook the fish many times even though the fish may never have actually eaten the bait.
Enterprise is what I have used. It is possible, if different components are used, that certain brands may be more effective in the same way as flavours, e.g. Strawberry, made on different flavour bases.

barbelboi

Reaction score
There’s no scientific reason why fish take fake baits – the answer is quite simple and not mysterious in any way. They simply fool the fish into thinking that the bait is just the same as natural baits like corn or man-made baits such as pellets. So long as you are fishing in the right place at the right time and your bait looks natural in the water a fish will come along and take it..................

Andydj

Reaction score
There’s no scientific reason why fish take fake baits – the answer is quite simple and not mysterious in any way. They simply fool the fish into thinking that the bait is just the same as natural baits like corn or man-made baits such as pellets. So long as you are fishing in the right place at the right time and your bait looks natural in the water a fish will come along and take it..................
This is all very well but what about fake baits at night or in coloured water? They still work, sometimes without any free offerings.
Also, fish are quite able to demonstrate preferences. They will not necessarily respond to all baits or varieties in the same way.
I believe your view is a little simplistic.
If I can go back to artificial flavours, fish know which ones they prefer.
It is quite plausible that they could show similar preferences for different types or makes of fake baits.

rayner

Reaction score
Fish can only test if a bait is edible or not by simply picking up the bait in their mouths then blowing it out. I doubt fish are ever caught by baits because they are fooled. Some anglers overthink all manner of things, I myself have fallen into some traps generated by tackle companies. I over time have learnt to ignore most things new. Fish are simple creatures if we let them be. ;)

nottskev

Reaction score
Tinned corn may be cheaper, but I'm assuming anglers who leave baits out for a long time use plastic corn because they want to know it won't have been taken off the hook. I've got no use for it myself, but they clearly know what they're doing.

steve2

Reaction score
Is it really cheaper you to buy tins of corn for every trip but my fake corn and baits I have had for years.

hooferinsane

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Tomorrow I will take tinned sweetcorn, but also what I am going to try is marrow fat tinned peas. Never tried them before, but heard of them catching too. I did try fake sweetcorn a session or so back, but whilst taken natural sweetcorn, they refused the fake one!

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
I got 50 pieces of fake corn from amazon for £4.99. Its the best I have bought (tried korda, enterprise etc...)

I have little craft pots from the range that fit 4 pcs of corn in each with liquid flavours. I can carry these little pots and always have 4,5,6 different flavours of corn on hand that won't get bothered by small fish and crayfish, won't split and won't come off on the cast.

They are used as toppers behind boilies. I understand course and match fishermen will have different opinions/uses for the stuff but it works for me.

I also have ear plugs cut to the size and shape of corn to pop up maggots or make baits "critically balanced "

That works well for me too.