Fake sweetcorn

hooferinsane

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has had much success with this as a bait? I was using normal sweetcorn recently and was getting bite after bite, but as soon as I put on some fake corn, the fish wouldn’t touch it. Mind you, it was only £1.99 for about 10 pieces. Just wondering if any particular brand is better and works?
TIA

steve2

Reaction score
Caught many tench on fake corn and fake red maggot and caster. Also roach and perch. Some of my best tench were taken on fake corn tipped with fake red maggot.
Seems quite expensive at 10 for £2 I remember paying around £5 for a box of 60 fake baits and still have most of them.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Quite a few years ago I did an experiment with fake baits. I made some cage feeders up and fixed to the feeders some lengths of the old fashioned rigid rig tube. In effect they were similar to the in line maggot feeders you can now buy in the tackle shop but open ended for groundbait. I used two hook links on each feeder. The first was a short hook link, about four inches long attached to a swivel that was tied to the mainline via the rig tube. The second was attached via a swivel that slid onto the stiff rig tube. This was held in place by two rubber beads, the one nearest the feeder being super glued in place. I had exactly the same hook link on each feeder. The bait was on a hair rig and I fished real corn on one and fake on the other I fished two rods set up exactly the same but alternated the real and fake corn. After a couple of trips I found that roach had a clear preference for real baits. Tench didn’t seem to care one way or the other. The best thing about fake baits is if small fish are blitzing the bait then the fake bait continues to fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regalis

Out of reach...
Reaction score
I have no confidence in any fake baits. Is there a reason to use them? Real baits work well where I fish.
I can never envisage using fake anything.
I use artificial corn in different colours for a few reasons.

1. Use "pop-up" corn to add buoyancy (critically balance hook baits).

2. Stop nuisance fish from taking the bait.

3. Add a visual pop of colour to a hook bait.

4. Fake corn won't split and fall off on long casts.

5. Soak it in flavour for months for extra attraction.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I have no confidence in any fake baits. Is there a reason to use them? Real baits work well where I fish.
I can never envisage using fake anything.

Lures are fake fish, lol. I rarely use fake corn but it is useful for tench, carp and bream when real corn is getting obliterated by bits. Nowadays I am more inclined to use hard
Pellets to avoid nuisance fish.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I am a BIG fan of fake corn particularly having caught loads of big crucian, tench and more than a few sizeable carp on it. Doesn’t always work and for some reason works better on some waters than others. I like fake caster too ( especially a T rig) though I’ve never really done any good on fake maggot.
I was a bit wary at first until I gave rubber corn a proper go and it out fished real corn and didn’t get smashed to bits by small stuff. I look no further than Enterprise for fake baits.

Keith M

Reaction score
Taking a fly is a visual thing; (they see it before deciding to take it) and lures are usually a visual thing too so comparing with corn on a muddy/silty bottom with Bream and Tench sending up clouds of mud and silt it is not really a good comparison is it. :)

That’s not to say that I don’t think artificial baits work; of course they do in some situations; either by sight, feel and/or taste (when flavoured). However although I have all kinds of artificial baits in various tackle boxes (maggots, caster, worm, bread, hemp, bloodworm, corn, corn skins, chum mixers and pop up bugs) I have never caught any fish on them at all (yet) and most of them haven’t even seen any water let alone seen any fish. I know they would work in certain conditions but I’ve never had any confidence in using them (so far) so I have always preferred to use the real thing; (except for lures and flies).

Keith

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I think artificial baits work best on a short hook link hair rig. Method feeder type set up’s seem more successful than other techniques, as once the bait is taken in the mouth the fish can hook itself when it ejects/rejects the bait. If you don’t hook up then the rig resets itself. With a natural bait your never sure if the hook bait has been stripped.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I think artificial baits work best on a short hook link hair rig. Method feeder type set up’s seem more successful than other techniques, as once the bait is taken in the mouth the fish can hook itself when it ejects/rejects the bait. If you don’t hook up then the rig resets itself. With a natural bait your never sure if the hook bait has been stripped.

Absolutely Ray.....by the time the fish has realised the bait is fake its already hooked itself. I've done best on fake baits using method feeders with groundbait and very little in the way of feed....a few micros maybe but no corn so the g'bait is the attractor and the rubber corn basically the only piece of " bait" in the area. Real or fake corn is highly visible and fish will seek it out. I rarely use "big" fake corn....usually its med or small and I'm not convinced about pop ups at all. I use sinking....occasionally 1 sinker and 1 pop up if I want a double bait.

peterjg

Reaction score
I have only used fake baits a couple of times so I have no knowledge of these baits. Do signal crayfish try to eat fake sweetcorn or do they ignore it?? I should really try it out on the Kennet.

peterjg

Reaction score
Yes, thanks Skippy - I think that you are probably right! I fish there for the roach, usually using bread in the hope that the roach beat the signal crayfish to the bait - sometimes it works but mostly it doesn't! The only sure way to avoid the crayfish is to trot but legering normally sorts the bigger roach. I'll try fake baits on one rod. Thanks again.

rayner

Reaction score
I use artificial corn in different colours for a few reasons.

1. Use "pop-up" corn to add buoyancy (critically balance hook baits).

2. Stop nuisance fish from taking the bait.

3. Add a visual pop of colour to a hook bait.

4. Fake corn won't split and fall off on long casts.

5. Soak it in flavour for months for extra attraction.
Not being an angler who targets carp specifically, I do not know carp fishing. The only carp I encounter are commercial match sized carp. I like coloured baits, I don't mess with pop up baits. As for nuisance fish, I don't see any fish as a nuisance, just another one to add to numbers. I gauge my success with the number of fish. Big fish I avoid by fishing water with no big fish in.
Apart from no intention to catch big fish, my tackle is nowhere near strong enough.

hooferinsane

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments, perhaps I didn’t give it enough time, although I am still slightly sceptical. I might try tipping off a dendrobaena next outing with a fake piece of corn as at least it will help to hold it on the hook, and currently my wormery population is peaking!

David Gane

Reaction score
Fly fishermen have confidence in use nothing but fake baits I suppose some may use live flies or insects at sometime.
The difference between an artificial fly (or lure) and a fake bait is that, by and large, the angler is relying on fish taking them on a reflex. With fake baits fish have more time to check them out before taking them.

My biggest worry with things like fake corn is what harm they might do the fish. Do they get caught up in digestive systems and cause blockages etc. Nobody has ever been able to give me a definitive answer.