Fame or Shame

A

Alan Roe

Morning all..
Following on from a point that I made in the fish in spawn thread about the work of the ACA and their role in promoting a positive image of angling.
How many of you are individual members of the ACA affilliated membership doesn't count!!
For those who aren't why not??
P'raps we should award points for the best and lamest excuse.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I've been an individual member for many years.

D

Davy North

I'm, but I must admit I joined last October, after many years of promising. It's only ?10, you can rattle that much up in the tackle shop buying a few odds and ends. Still better late than never?

D

David Will

The best way to join is by direct debit. This way you can get away from the hassle of re joining each year.I suspect the ACA would prefer us to join in this manner.

P

Paul Scattergood

Joined at the NEC some 5 years ago. Like Dave says dirct debit is the way to go, this way you don't foget to renew your membership at the end of the year. You never know it could be your favourite water thats polluted next time.

P

Phil Hackett

I was but am no longer, fundamental differences over the lack of support regarding Endocrine Disrupting Substances in the water environment. These substance are without doubt the gravest threat to the river systems angling has ever faced!

P

Peter Waller

Phil, please enlighten us. What are they and what do they do?

P

Phil Hackett

Not sure how this will turn out but here we go anyway
So what are EDSs?.
EDSs are substances that can, and do interfere with the hormonal system of fish.

The Endocrine System and how it work
The endocrine system consists of endocrine glands in the body of higher organisms. There are nine in the human body - hypothalamus brain thyroid gland throat testis are to list three in particular. Each gland releases hormones (a chemical message produced by one set of cells that affects other sets of cells) directly into the bloodstream. The hormones then circulate in the bloodstream until they lock into the target cells, much the same as a key fits a lock. An example of this would be testosterone released by the testes that has many functions (Saturday night fighting stuff this, in young males after 10 pints of lager) thought to be responsible for sex drive and muscle formation amongst others. (Apologies to the biologists and physiologists for over simplifying this section.)
The take away point, is that hormones operate in a lock and key procedure and are target specific. The hormone being the key and the receptor cell being the lock. Suffice to say that a particular hormone will only fit the cell or group of cells that it is intended for. The understanding of this principle is critical to what follows.

How EDSs Work
EDSs act as false hormonal keys (hormone mimics) and/or hormone blockers that enter the cell and stop the true hormone entering the locking mechanism. In regards to fish, the effect this has is to block and/or stop the femininising or masculising process. Suffice to say, they feminise males and masculinise females.( known as intersexing) The evidence for this manifesting itself in the form of males showing signs of egg formation and females developing rudimentary testes development.

Effects on fishlife
There is now overwhelming evidence starting to emerge that intersexing of river fish is a reality, along with other aquatic life forms. American studies have found intersexing in turtles, alligators, otters, birds as well as fish. At a recent meeting I attended, it was stated that of the rivers tested by the EA, "Not a single river showed signs of no intersexing in the fish stocks analysed." The problem being most acute down flow of any sewage discharge points. With a 30 - 100 % totality of samples.
You don't have to be a genius to work out that on the heavily urbanised river systems with many sewage outflows and other point sources, the whole river and stock may be affected. The cure lies in the removal of EDSs from the whole environment and not just the water environment.

Postscript
Whilst this article is perhaps depressing to read, there is some light at the end of the tunnel. The EA are drawing up Environmental Quality Standards (EQSs) for some of the known substances. They are also committed to what is known as the UK's Biodiversity Action Plan for Sustainable River Systems (includes fish). In my view, their effectiveness on both counts will only be as good as the pressure we bring to bare on them.
You know the script, Write to MP, MEP, Sec. of State. Presscot at DETR. and Blair if you like. The louder we shout the more notice and action we'll get.

[this message was shortened to fit new size restrictions - contact the poster for full details]

M

Martin James

Well done Phil keep up the excellent work We need more people like yourself Cheers Martin

R

Richard Drayson

Alan, I`ve been an individual member for a few years now.

R

Rob Brownfield

I have not joined as I felt that there was no active participation from the ACA towards scotland. Can somebody please confirm or deny this?
Cheers

P

Paul Williams

The question of ACA membership was brought up last year to....i do not know yet whether i will rejoin....in my opinion they do little to promote themselves, they seem to lean more to the "game" side of things and they pay out to much in wages and expense's!!!!!!! that is all i wish to say.

R

Rob Brownfield

Paul, interesting. The only time I have seen the ACA in print is when they have helped with a trout or salmon river...thats mainly why I asked if they are active north of the boarder