Favourite fish and method

john r stockburn

Reaction score
Tench, Bream, crucians and rudd if I can find them while watching a float but I am not proud and will use a feeder if I have to fish at any sort of range
then on the river chub and grayling dace and roach ,.....roll on summer

wetthrough

Reaction score
Probably Tench, beautiful fish but like catching most things. It seems like forever since I've been on the
bank with the weather being so bad. Looking forward to a session Wednesday despite the forecast being
a tad colder than I like. Maggots in the fridge and casters turning I'm raring to go:)

thecrow

Reaction score
Barbel are my first love and have been on and off for more years than I care to remember, they can be very easy to catch at times but also at other times very difficult, feeder, rolling a bait or sight fishing with as little lead as possible were my favourite methods, the sight fishing part has gone completely owing to the lack of fish on the river I practised it on.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Possibly just about Mullet, always something a bit mysterious about them and never the same two scenarios, no way of knowing when or how they are going to bite, what bait will work or even if they will appear. Frustrating but nice frustrating, they will probably vex you more than any other fish. And it would be float fishing, rarely a sail away bite just a dip or a pull down and then you have a fight on your hands usually, they don't give up easily but more often than not you have to just watch them swimming around your float. And they just look special in a weird kind of way, rows of scales and a funny shaped head with a weird look in their eyes. And you will probably never catch many so each one is memorable. I have caught most fish but they still get me going just a bit more than usual, spot a shoal and I am like, well here we go, whats going to happen now.

Last edited:

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Spring: Carp (usually spend a bit of time in France), Tench and a bit of fluff chucking
Summer: Carp.
Autumn: Barbel and occasionally Roach and Chub
Winter: Pike

That's been the rhythm of my fishing since the close season was abolished on Stillwater.

As to methods, Mostly ledgering these days but I get the float rod out when the mood takes me. Nearly always put a float on for Pike (better indication) but really I'm float ledgering.

Stu

mikench

Reaction score
Mullet seem to have a built in metal detector! Cast bread on the water( not the biblical sense) and they feed! Put a hook in the bread and they do not go near!:wh

Very frustrating and more so when you can see the b*****s!!!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Mullet seem to have a built in metal detector! Cast bread on the water( not the biblical sense) and they feed! Put a hook in the bread and they do not go near!:wh

Very frustrating and more so when you can see the b*****s!!!

Your right Mike, no rhyme or reason to them but I like that, you just have to go with the flow so to speak when they are around. They just interest me and I reckon pound for pound, harder fighters than barbel or carp but I didn't really say that....

Bobnewboy

Reaction score
Carp on the float.
Bream on the float.
Roach/rudd/perch/ruffe/dace/chub on the float.

I see a pattern emerging here :)

bullet

Reaction score
Sea...surface lures for Bass

Lake...freelined crust/fly for Carp

River... fly for Trout/Chub, trotting for anything.

Reaction score
I'm afraid I wont fish for tench unless i'm on the float,similar for roach,rudd,perch,crucians and carp,though I prefer trotting for chub,i'm quite happy on the lead,bream,barbel on lead or float,the only species I fish boilies for are barbel and occasionally tench.I have reached the stage in my life that if I don't enjoy a method(whether it catches or not),then i'd rather blank,or go to a more suited venue...

rayner

Reaction score
I really don't have a favourite, it used to be roach.
Now I couldn't care less, that is so long as I'm kept busy with bites to prevent me from losing interest.
Long gone are the days of sitting waiting for some pill of a fish to decide to eat what's on my hook. I need action all day.

I recently changed venues, it took me a while to get to grips with the new place, I now have a reasonable idea how to keep bites coming.
This season I have an idea to fish the margins as well as keeping with what I have been doing. that's generally up in the water with pole or feeder, depending on the wind.
OK it will be a late start for me but I'm really looking forward to the coming season, so long as the medical folk can sort me out.