Feeder and Bank Stick Grrr

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
The 4000 oc is perfectly adequate for most feeder fishing and the drag is smooth and strong should you hook a running fish. I bought a lighter feeder rod for the bream swims and have fitted it with a baby baitrunner, the Okuma Ceymar 3000 baitfeeder. The drag on this light little reel is said to manage up to 8kg, that should do should an unexpected carp turn up in the bream swim.

Some of the Okuma reels are very good value and I had had several for sea fishing without any failures.

My bigger 6000 OC is for heavy water conditions in the winter, copes with big feeders and drifting weed. The 8000 OC I originally bought for sea fishing, very capable is proved to be for that scenario. Now it's on my telescopic pike rod that is my standby rod, just in case the carp appear whilst I am fishing for other species.

I think I can stop buying reels now! :unsure:

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
But a 4000 , baitrunner for feeder fishing would be sufficient I’ve heard others saying as I would be more interested in catching bream Rudd roach , I was looking at bigger Reels upto 10000 bait runner and they looked big and cumbersome for feeder fishing more for predator fishing .
Why would you want a 10000 baitrunner for bream,Rudd and roach. ?
I have a couple of early shimano 4010 baitrunners, plus a 4000dl shimano baitrunner, scale the line down and they are ideal for feeder fishing for bream and silvers, I have spare spools with heavier line that i have caught carp to 15lb when feeder fishing.
Match the reel to the rod and the species.

Newbie74

Reaction score
Why would you want a 10000 baitrunner for bream,Rudd and roach. ?
I have a couple of early shimano 4010 baitrunners, plus a 4000dl shimano baitrunner, scale the line down and they are ideal for feeder fishing for bream and silvers, I have spare spools with heavier line that i have caught carp to 15lb when feeder fishing.
Match the reel to the rod and the species.
I wasn’t suggesting using as there a big reel , the 4000 even the 2500 were much smaller

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I wasn’t suggesting using as there a big reel , the 4000 even the 2500 were much smaller
Get a 4000dl shimano baitrunner, good all round reel.
If you don't want baitrunner facility have a look at a 4000 shimano nasci, or the shimano Sahara, Daiwa do good reels called Ninjas in various sizes.
What rods are you using and casting distance ,?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Ok so the other day I decided to down the float rod and have a go with the feeder, I have had a feeder rod for a couple of years but never really used it.

Taking inspiration from that guy with a website and on youtube Amatuer Anglingling I chose a 25-gram cage secured on a bead with a few beads in from (boom) and a Guru bait hook attached with a pellet. The ground bait used to fill the cage was dark and I mixed pellets in.

After about 40 mins the tip went then the rod flew to the side and the small light tripod it was resting on flew the other way. I was lucky to catch the rod in time. The result was a reasonable mirror carp and it's the first time I have had a bigger fish on a feeder. We are not talking huge but big enough for me.

Now the question is if this smaller bigger fish can move the rod and tripod anything any bigger could take the lot.

Any suggestion as to a way of grounding the rod, a decent bank stick that will not move?

Also, I have been told that an angle of 45 degrees for the rod is good to find the bites but I saw a professional online (some Preston innovations angler) and he had the rod tip almost touching the water. What's best?

I toyed with the idea of holding the rod instead of placing it on a stick but surely this will affect the bites...
Are you fishing from a natural bank or a man made fishing peg, ?
If natural Bank, use a couple of metal tent pegs to secure tripod to the ground.
Man made peg ,use a short length of thin rope or similar to tie a leg of tripod to chair or seatbox.
Use a rear butt rest that has some grip to it such as a Preston Innovations U shaped one with bristle inner, it does the job despite it looks, Guru do a rear reaper rest.
Or just get a flexible screw in rubber U shaped rest for a couple of quid, All 3 rests work, I have all 3.

Newbie74

Reaction score
If you don't want baitrunner facility have a look at a 4000 shimano nasci, or the shimano Sahara, Daiwa do good reels called Ninjas in various sizes.
Shimano Aero x1 11 foot feeder rod

Newbie74

Reaction score
What are your opinion on the Shimano Baitrunner ST4000FB reel , compared to the 4000DL I presume the DL would be better as it costs more .

rayner

Reaction score
I use bait runners for my feeder rods, I do not use the bait runner feature whilst fishing I use it after getting the fish in the landing net to give line as I put the rod back on the rest. No but rest for me I sit with the rod on my thigh.
My reels are the 2500s mini bait runners. I fish short so don't need a bigger reel. If I could manage without a bait runner I certainly wouldn't use one.
Bait runners are similar to buzz bars they allow you to not watch the rod, which goes against how I fish.
How can an angler be in control of the rod if you don't keep your eye on it?

Newbie74

Reaction score
I use bait runners for my feeder rods, I do not use the bait runner feature whilst fishing I use it after getting the fish in the landing net to give line as I put the rod back on the rest. No but rest for me I sit with the rod on my thigh.
My reels are the 2500s mini bait runners. I fish short so don't need a bigger reel. If I could manage without a bait runner I certainly wouldn't use one.
Bait runners are similar to buzz bars they allow you to not watch the rod, which goes against how I fish.
How can an angler be in control of the rod if you don't keep your eye on it?
That’s a good point

rayner

Reaction score
The Shimano mini bait runner 2500 fa is around 50 quid, a maver abyss is not expensive either around 35 quid.

Philip

Reaction score
Slightly off tangent but on the subject of savage takes, alot of my fishing is touch ledgering at the moment. A while back i switched to braided mainline on the assumption it would help with bite indication (it hasnt but thats a different story) , anyway just this week i had a savage take that coupled with the braid actually cut my finger that i had the line placed across.
Never had that happen before but thought i would mention as a warning for anyone else who may try similar.

nottskev

Reaction score
Slightly off tangent but on the subject of savage takes, alot of my fishing is touch ledgering at the moment. A while back i switched to braided mainline on the assumption it would help with bite indication (it hasnt but thats a different story) , anyway just this week i had a savage take that coupled with the braid actually cut my finger that i had the line placed across.
Never had that happen before but thought i would mention as a warning for anyone else who may try similar.
Not quite the same, but I was float fishing in fast water the other evening for big barbel, and the line, had some memory curl and when I was feeding it off the spool it looped around my finger now and then. Bites give you no time to sort yourself out -smash, your rod is being wrenched out of your hand and the line is stretched to near breaking. It occurred to me you could lose a finger if you got a bite with the line around it. The barbel wouldn't hang on a sec while you got the loop off your finger.