Feeder fishing

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Done a fair bit of feeder fishing this year with a 10ft drennan carp feeder rod and it for small to medium feeders . But on a 1.5lb Avon rod what size cage or method feeder would be advice able to use ?

Also I have had great success on sonubaits method mixes but I noticed they do a lot in there range . Has anyone tried the hemp and halibut crush or the spicy meaty method mix ?

Intended species to catch carp , tench , barbel and chub .

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Hi there

I would think the most I'd want to cast with a 1.5tc rod would be a 3oz feeder... and that's probably pushing it (so you'd need to adjust your casting action to a gentle sort of lob, rather than a full overhead push).

Do bear in mind the weight of the bait on or in the feeder... I generally reckon on adding at least an ounce because of this. So a 2oz feeder with bait, 3oz total - the rod should handle that ok. Might cast a 2oz (total) load a bit further thought.

All a little bit dependent on the overall action as well, some rods with the same stated tc are very different. Best to start low and work up.

(what 1.5 rod is it btw? someone on here might have the same model and be able to advise from first hand experience)

associatedmatt

Reaction score
The rod is a drennan Avon quiver but would have the Avon top on , but in still waters could go for a 1oz feeder but a large size if want to get more bait out . I have used to esp mega method feeder but in small size on a 1.5 lb rod was the korum all rounder and the tip was a bit bent !

chrissh

Reaction score
If you go no to the websites for the rod you have and look at the spec you will get the info on maximum line and casting weights for the rods.

This is from the Drennan site
Avon Quiver 1.5lb
It is recommended for use with main lines of 5lb to 10lb and with casting weights up to a maximum of 3oz.

Drennan put the line and casting weight in there rods
drennan.jpg

View image in gallery

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Thanks that's great , that's quite a big feeder for still water !

iain t

Reaction score
I use 1.25, 1.5 , 1.75 Avons for 99% of my fishing be it still or rivers. A 1.5 will happily chuck out a fully loaded 2oz feeder. Over this i would use my 1.75. This one with chuck out a 3oz feeder loaded. 4oz to 8oz i would use a 2.25 Avon With my 1.25 i use this mostly for maggot feeders, bread and heavy wagglers. With this rod i have landed a 16lb common.