Feeder Float Fishing

R

ray stevens

I have heard about Feeder Float Fishing, although I buy angling mags I have not seen any articles on the subject and have not noticed anyone on the waters I visit, using them, can someone enlighten me. I know few years back a float was developed which held maggots and they trickled down into the swim. This new feeder, so I am led to believe, uses the method mix?
Ray Stevens.

C

Carp Angler

They are as the name suggests a floating feeder.
The ones I've seen are coil based method feeders that have foam or buoyant plastic centres.
You pack them with method mix and as the fish break away the mix, the float begins to rise.
Don't know if it works because I've never used or seen one being used.

There is also the floating maggot feeders, but these have been out for about 6 years, gripmesh feeders filled with holey foam for maggots to crawl in.
You can't fill them up, you have to drop them in your maggy box for 10 mins.
These are fished with short hooklengths for a feeder based wag and mag effect.

G

Goose Ganderton

Ray have you tried using a feeder, either block end or open with a Polaris float. The weight of the feeder holds the line tight allowing you to wind down the float. I have had some good results with this method.

David Preston

Reaction score
One of the waters I fish is about 16-18' deep, and holds a lot of carp to low doubles. Often (in the warmer weather at least) the fish are not on the bottom, although they may not necessarily be right on the top.

A handful of anglers have been using an inline method feeder fished below a large sea float, set like a slider, so that the feeder can be fished at any depth. Some of the catches they have had have to be seen to be believed - the float bobs and dips and another fish is on. One guy near me had 17 fish to 18lb in about an hour!

R

ray stevens

Thanks for the info fellas, I have been on web sites of some of the tackle shops & have come up with pics, one is as David describes & the other, which I was aware of, trickles mags. Anyone any idea how to use it,waggler or top & bottom. There is very few shops that stock them. Give it to Budgie see if he can make one cheaper than ?3.99, then there's postage.
I have never seen any articles on them. Knock Knock Graham!!
Thanks again fellas.

P

peter thatcher

A couple of guys on my local water have been using a squash ball with an ordinary small maggot feeder fixed to it and fishing with 12-18" of line below with great effect.

Lindsay Robinson

Reaction score
Can anyone advise on method waggling. I am going to Drayton res and could uae some advice on how to set up and how and what to feed.

D

david bruce 1

I fish with a bubble float, half squashed bread/crust on the hook (semi-submerged) and no weights. When things go slack I squeeze large pieces of soft white bread onto the line below the float. This soon attracts the surface feeders and the larger carp olow and go for the semi submerged hook bait. I presume they think the semi is parts falling from the activity above. The surface activity certainly gets things going.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

The gentle mist evaporates under the rays of the early June sun.All is quiet save for the morning chorus of myriad song birds from the nearby wood.

Crash ... the swimfeeder suspended from a sea bung shatters the tranquil scene.

We have come along along way from the porcupine quill and lump of paste havn't we!! Is it for the better? .Discuss

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Nigel,

The discussion IMHO begins and ends with our individual definitions of:

Fishing, and . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Catching (at any cost)

Each to their own, but if I had to choose just one form to last the rest of my lifetime then it would be the quill float without a doubt.

fred hall

Reaction score
Hello Nigel, a really out of date angler here but not all new methods are bad. Ater discovering hair rigged pellets about 18 months ago I managed my best ever river season by a long way in 40 odd years of trying. As Peter says each to their own. I think that possibly the greatest satisfaction comes from trying out a new method then adapting it to your own requirements.

Alf James

Reaction score
There's a discussion on Matchfishing Forum on this method about 3/4 of the way down the first page, entitled "Bagging Waggler".

Sorry, don't know how to do the link thingy!