Feeder Rod Recommendations

maceo

Reaction score
I wonder if I could once more call on the recommendations of my piscatorial pals on this forum for a feeder rod?

I was so pleased with the Shakespeare Agility Waggler rod someone recommended on here for me recently. I would say it's 100% helped my fishing - especially casting accuracy and as a result I'm catching more and bigger. I can land my float right in under the overhanging tree on the far bank, time after time in exactly the same spot. I am absolutely delighted with it.

Anyway, as the months get colder and the river will be moving a lot faster with the autumn rains, I'm looking at getting a new feeder rod. My old one was bought second hand off ebay many years ago and one of the tips broke ages ago, so it only has one remaining. Can't remember what brand of rod it is, but it's not all that. A clunking old carthorse in comparison with the trim 6-furlong sprinter of the new Shakespeare.

I'll be fishing the same upper Thames, a medium width river about 6 to 8 feet deep most of the year. I reckon I'm looking at a 12' rod (?) and hopefully with 3 tips that come with it - although I'm not sure my amateur skills really make that level of sophistication necessary and will gladly take advice.

So if anyone is aware of a nice feeder rod they're selling, which seems like an absolute steal, then please let me know and I will be eternally grateful. I think almost all my entire kit, from the Korum seat chair and rucksack, to the aforementioned rods has come from Fishing Magic recommendations and I've yet to be disappointed.....

mikench

Reaction score
I am assuming price is important so have a look at the now discontinued range of Greys Toreon feeder rods from 8'1" to 13'6" . You may struggle to find one though in the length required

I would imagine the latest Preston , Daiwa Nzon and Shimano are equally good. Acolytes are good and the Browning Sphère and Silverlite are superb rods at a price.

Last edited:

rob48

Reaction score
I've got a Daiwa Medium Feeder that would be ideal for that job. It's called Connoisseur Z Mark II, 12' long with three push-in tips. It's about twenty years old and mint condition. Daiwa's reference is CNZL120AMQ. If you or anyone you know is in the Lichfield area any time you could pick it up if you wanted it.
Buying new at the moment I doubt you'd find anything better than the Cadence #2 feeder for the fishing you've described.

Glad you're getting on well with the Agility, I was one of those praising it.

maceo

Reaction score
I've got a Daiwa Medium Feeder that would be ideal for that job. It's called Connoisseur Z Mark II, 12' long with three push-in tips. It's about twenty years old and mint condition. Daiwa's reference is CNZL120AMQ. If you or anyone you know is in the Lichfield area any time you could pick it up if you wanted it.
Buying new at the moment I doubt you'd find anything better than the Cadence #2 feeder for the fishing you've described.

Glad you're getting on well with the Agility, I was one of those praising it.

Thanks Rob - I'm just looking at the Cadence rod. Could I ask why the preference for the #2? Reading the blurb on the Cadence site, they seem to say the #1 is for rivers and the #2 for longer casting on commercials.

Which length would you recommend for the type of river I described? I would think for mainly maggot or ground bait cage feeder - nothing too heavy and not too far to cast. 12 foot?

I should have mentioned budget, but I just had my 60th birthday and got a little lump sum pension in from my time on British Rail. So for once I'm not quite so constrained and can the budget you mention (£100 - £150) is about right. Anything above that really would be the equivalent of giving a 9 year old primary school pupil a Stradavarius violin to scratch out baa baa black sheep I reckon :)

Thanks for the Agility recommendation - it's a wonderful rod and I look forward to getting it out of its bag. It'd a lovely combination with the Shimano reel, which also came from a recommendation on here

rob48

Reaction score
Hi there.
I've got a few Cadence rods and based on my own use and what your requirements were I'd suggest the #2 would be more suitable for when a winter river is pushing through a bit and you might need a little extra lead to hold bottom in a heavier flow or cast into a strong wind.
I use an 11'#1 for light work on the Avon and Upper Trent and a 13'#3 for heavier work on bigger rivers like the middle Trent and Lower Severn.
Based on that I thought the 12'#2 would be the best choice and cover the most options. The #1 and #2 rods do cross-over in some of their applications as the difference isn't massive.
I'm not sure of the current prices for Cadence rods but I'm guessing about £120, £130 for a 12' feeder? A bargain at that price IMO.

rob48

Reaction score
Just remembered there's some discussion articles about the differences of the rods on their youtube channel.
In one of them the consultant who designed the feeder rod range (Steve Whitfield I think it was) runs through about half a dozen of them and pinpoints their abilities and preferred usage. You'd probably learn a bit from that.
He'll likely contradict everything I said earlier!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I wonder if I could once more call on the recommendations of my piscatorial pals on this forum for a feeder rod?

I was so pleased with the Shakespeare Agility Waggler rod someone recommended on here for me recently. I would say it's 100% helped my fishing - especially casting accuracy and as a result I'm catching more and bigger. I can land my float right in under the overhanging tree on the far bank, time after time in exactly the same spot. I am absolutely delighted with it.

Anyway, as the months get colder and the river will be moving a lot faster with the autumn rains, I'm looking at getting a new feeder rod. My old one was bought second hand off ebay many years ago and one of the tips broke ages ago, so it only has one remaining. Can't remember what brand of rod it is, but it's not all that. A clunking old carthorse in comparison with the trim 6-furlong sprinter of the new Shakespeare.

I'll be fishing the same upper Thames, a medium width river about 6 to 8 feet deep most of the year. I reckon I'm looking at a 12' rod (?) and hopefully with 3 tips that come with it - although I'm not sure my amateur skills really make that level of sophistication necessary and will gladly take advice.

So if anyone is aware of a nice feeder rod they're selling, which seems like an absolute steal, then please let me know and I will be eternally grateful. I think almost all my entire kit, from the Korum seat chair and rucksack, to the aforementioned rods has come from Fishing Magic recommendations and I've yet to be disappointed.....
Shakespeare Agility continental feeder rod.
Failing that have a look at some of the Shimano X series of rods.

rob48

Reaction score
Here's some more info about Cadence rod actions, although more of a float fishing slant:

A bit of an infommercial as these things often are, and I certainly don't agree with some of it, but it might be a helpful read.