First Boat Purchase - recommendations please?

riverninja

Reaction score
Hoping for some advice re: my first boat purchase please.

Im looking for something in the 16ft-17ft range, to be used mainly in the sea lochs and larger waters (i.e. Loch Lomond and loch Awe) of Scotland, for both fishing and family days (max 4 persons), but with the capability to go a little offshore once i have more experience.

Budget isnt an issue and im happy with new or second hand if in very good condition and only couple years old.

My online searches keep bringing me to the same 5 choices:-

- Orkney Longliner 16
- Arran 16
- Explorer Elite
- Warrior 165
- Pilot 6

Has anyone got first hand experience with any of the above and able to offer a recommendation (or a warning against)?

Or, are there other boats in this category which i should consider above any of these?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Contact John Locker, he’s on Facebook and has a Youtube channel called “The Fishlocker”. Extremely knowledgeable and helpful, he was a member on here but doesn’t post any more.

mikench

Reaction score
Check the lochs for launching facilities and ask those that frequent the ones you are likely to use what they have. The bigger the better but towing a trailer and storeage of said trailer becomes an issue . You need a 4x4 and need to know how to tow and reverse and how to couple and uncouple a boat in foul weather. I don’t know the boats you cite but safety, stability and protection are key. There is a world of difference between an inland sea/lake and the open sea. I guess those you fancy are semi/full displacement boats with an outboard.

Boats are a money pit:,I speak from experience and you can’t call the AA when you break down only the coastguard . A radio, anchor and life jackets are essential as is storeage for them in say a cuddly cabin.

I hope you have experience before taking family for a little trip as these can turn nasty. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riverninja

Reaction score
Contact John Locker, he’s on Facebook and has a Youtube channel called “The Fishlocker”. Extremely knowledgeable and helpful, he was a member on here but doesn’t post any more.
Thanks s63.

Very strange - I just subscribed to his youtube channel last night. Will send him a message.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You may have already come across this video from John.

riverninja

Reaction score
Check the lochs for launching facilities and ask those that frequent the ones you are likely to use what they have. The bigger the better but towing a trailer and storeage of said trailer becomes an issue . You need a 4x4 and need to know how to tow and reverse and how to couple and uncouple a boat in foul weather. I don’t know the boats you cite but safety, stability and protection are key. There is a world of difference between an inland sea/lake and the open sea. I guess those you fancy are semi/full displacement boats with an outboard.

Boats are a money pit:,I speak from experience and you can’t call the AA when you break down only the coastguard . A radio, anchor and life jackets are essential as is storeage for them in say a cuddly cabin.

I hope you have experience before taking family for a little trip as these can turn nasty. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Many thanks. I have some experience already but am planning on taking a couple boat safety courses to bolster this, plus a couple days out with an experienced skipper beforehand. Yes, expecting to open up the blackhole bank account for it, haha.