First Class Fishing

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Taking the opportunity as this new category launches, I thought it would be worthwhile asking what our sites beginners and improvers would like to see covered in the First Class Fishing articles that I write.

It's easy for me to keep banging them out, but is I'm not sure I'm covering what you want, so any suggestions for future topics would be welcome.

M

Mick Fleet

Hi Dave.
Ive allways been a great believer in keeping things as simple as possible rig wise, and have become a little disolusioned at some of the mega high tech rigs (especially carp rigs)that some of the experts seem to bang on about.
Trouble is, as im sure your aware, some of those rigs may only be of use on some of the exclusive circuit waters these guys fish, and as such are of little advantage to those on club waters.
It would be nice to see an article describeing basic, but good reliable rigs (for whatever species)that catch fish and that the youngsters can make without the need for a degree in rocket science to put together.
Articles that deal with watercraft and dispel the myth that youve got to have the latest (and most expensive!) gear would im sure also help out newcomers to the sport.

C

Cheese Paste

I would like to see a feature on unhooking pike. I would love to seriously fish for pike but am put off by my lack of knowledge of unhooking and general handling of them.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Mick

Thanks for the comments. The articles so far have covered float and legering and I have tried to keep the rigs described at their most basic & simple to set up. Are you specifically talking carp rigs? If so, I do plan to do an introduction to carp fishing as a separate subject and will describe very basic carp rigs that catch fish.

Cheese Pate

I'm not a great pike fisherman myself, but I know a man who is. Leave it with me and I'll see if I can arrange a 'one off special'.

D

Dave Rothery

Mick - have you looked at "the rig library"? go LIKE THESE will help with watercraft. If you use the search button, most of its on here somewhere!

Ask away though!

C

Chris Bishop

Cheesepaste:

There's an article on here by Gary Knowles with some good advice.

There's plenty more on the Pike Anglers Club site - www.pacgb.com

The PAC also do a great book which goes into this and all the methods for about six quid called Piking Beyond 2000.

Whatever you do don't be put off.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
<a href=http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article.asp?SP=&v=1&UAN=1470>Good beginner's guide to pike fishing</a>

With links at the bottom of the page to lots of other good piking articles.

K

Kevin Timney

Dave,
Firstly I have to say that I have found the First Class Fishing articles very useful so thanks for continuing to write them.
As for ideas for new topics. I would find a beginners guide to setting up and using poles and whips a great help.

Thanks Kevin

T

Tony Wainwright (Twainy)

Dave, I agree with Kevin. I have not taken up pole fishing because I dont know the first thing about pole fishing. I want something which like your previous articles covers things right from the very beginning.
Thanks.

D

darryl rogers

i would like to get in to match fishing so would like to no about how to get started and here from others about it

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Darryl, your best bet is to join a local club that holds small matches on their own waters, and then progress to bigger matches if you find you're enjoying competing with other anglers. I enjoy the odd match myself, but wouldn't want to do nothing else. So dip your toe in a club match or two at first and see how you go on.

One thing you'll have to learn if you hope to seriously compete is how to use a pole.

I'm sure Dave Cooper will eventually cover the tackle side of club matches in his excellent 'First Class' series.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Thanks for feedback guys. Looks like weve solved the pike one, so poles and whips will be the next major topic and then maybe an introduction to basic carp fishing to follow.

That should keep me busy for a while.....

Gonna cost you another trip on the Dove this Graham AND I want the best swim this time!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Okay Dave, you're on, and next time I'll even take you to a stretch where there are a few fish (as if you didn't get the best swim last time!).

T

Tony Carter

This is a bit of a general topic but I hope someone can help!
I've been fishing (weather permitting) the dorset stour @ throop (beat 2) about 6 sessions in total. Occaisonally when is been high & coloured - last week coming down and fairly clear. 1 trout and 1 perch to show for my efforts!!
I generally read most magazines/books/websites regarding how to fish for barbel, chub etc. I just cant figure out what i'm doing wrong. I fish swimfeeder with maggots or hemp/caster. 6lb 18 inch flourocarbon hooklink with a fourteen hook.
I'm guessing my location is crap - can anyone help.

S

Shrek

Have you found out any history on the section you are fishing? By this I mean, have you talked to other anglers that may have fished the same section. You could always try in your local tackle shop and see if they know of any form on the stretch you fish. If not, I'm sure they could put you in touch with someone who does.

Let us know how you get on though.

A

C

Carp Angler

Tony

John Pleasence is your man for beat 2, he fishes it on a regular basis.

What I would say about Throop, is that the barbel have been heavily pressured for a considerable length of time, so standard tactics may not work.

Location is vitally important, as is the necessity to feed without fishing.
Try to build the swim, and the barbels confidence, before you cast in.

T

Tony Carter

thanks for the info - I have asked anglers on the bank about good swims etc but I still loose my confidence wondering if my bait is in the right area of that section of the river? - (when the water is coloured and I cant see the bottom of the river). I try to fish to a crease in the water or under any cover etc.....

C

Carp Angler

The are only a few noted pegs that I really know about.
The first is the swim immediately below the school bridge, casting half way across.

The second is over school bridge and turn left and the side cutting that runs up river, about half way along is of reasonable depth.

Lastly, left before the bridge and walk up about 150-200 yards until you're at the head of the mid river reed beds.

That's about as far as my knowledge of that section goes unfortunately.

I did pre-bait one swim down river last summer for about 5 evenings in a row with 20 cricket ball sized balls of mixed particles and Vitalin.
By the fifth night, there were about 15 or 20 chub in the swim and they were queing up and attacking the balls as they were falling through the water.

Most unfortunately I was spotted baiting up by some chap, whom I chatted to as I left, telling him of my plans to return the next morning after work.
This very honourable gentleman decided to get there ahead of me in the morning and that was my last visit to the place.