First Tackle shop

steve2

Reaction score
How many of us still remember our first tackle shop, mine was EDKO sports in Romford. I can still picture the tackle counter on the left, the glass top display cupboards, the window with rods and reels lined up for sale. I am sure I can still smell the linseed oil and maggots. Buying my sixpence worth of maggots and a bag of silver cloud ground bait. Bought my first proper rod from there, 2 pieces of cane with a fibre glass top. Happy days.

Paste paul

Reaction score
Paul’s at denaby........
Although it was a garage to start with and he decided to start selling tackle he didn’t change the name straight away in case selling tackle didn’t work out so it was called monk wood autos for years.......
He kept it well stocked clean and up to date.......
He didn’t have a click either every customer was treat the same .......
Never had bad bait off him either......
A true professional and gentleman.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Judds of Hillingdon...owned and run by the legendary Jack Harrigan,top angler and one time holder of the barbel record though his fish would hardly raise an eyebrow nowadays. Proper bloke and a proper tackle shop. I'd cycle there on a Sunday just to gaze through the window at the cased roach and smell the linseed oil from the corded landing nets strung from the ceiling. Jack always wore a sports jacket,shirt and tie and had a cigar jammed in the corner of his mouth. You couldn't get in the shop on the 14-15 June back in the days.

Shame to watch it decline after Jack's death and the rise of carp fishing. Its a window shop now having bowed to the inevitable a couple of years back but, tbh, it suffered a long slow decline over a few years and I stopped going there because it never had what I wanted and the rods/reels were so dated they were almost collectors items.

rayner

Reaction score
Of course I remember, the shop was Mellors in Swallownest. Mrs Mellor was a diamond, she used to give me maggots that had turned. I used to get a tanners worth of maggots then Mrs Mellor would fill me a tub with what they called old maggots for free.
That was before Benny Ashurst did an article in the Angling Times telling tales of the success he was having fishing with casters on the Lanky canals. After the article, my free bait stopped. That was around the start of the sixties, may have been before I can't really remember the approximate date.
I'll never forgive Benny for that.
At a time when it was against the law to sell maggots from a shop, Mr Mellors sold bait from a trailer outside the shop

Sundays it was against the law to sell maggots from the shop. I omitted to say that, Sunday trading laws similar to fish and chip shops not being able to sell fish. Local chip shops would sell battered scallops to get around trading laws.

Last edited:

rich66

Reaction score
My first tackle shop was in the back of an old fashioned hardware store. Cut flowers and plants garden stuff, pet foods and budgies for sale. Right at the back was a glass counter and glass cupboards with all the fishing tackle and some hunting bits, air rifle pellets, air guns big Bowie knives.
Usually manned by some teenager who was mad keen on fishing. And an old till that was straight out of open all hours.
Maggots kept in the alley behind in washing up bowls and glass half pint and pint mug to dish them out with. Rod licenses were written by hand, different areas Severn Trent, Nene & Welland. Nice new shiny rods in a stand on the right as you walked upto the counter and reels where kept in the glass fronted counter. And the smell a glorious mix of maggots/ground bait/ pets food and budgies.
Then one day my dream came true and I was the mad keen teenager behind the glass counter who spent his wages on tackle !

John Adams was the company name and Mr Adams himself was a gentleman looked after us all and took no nonsense

That takes me back !

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
My first one was back in the 50's and it was Bennetts in South London.
I went to a boarding school and spent the long holidays with my grandparents in London as my parents worked overseas, so the summers were spent in London and I well remember that shop as it sold not only fishing tackle but some electrical bits and pieces too.

I'd take my aluminium bait tin down there for 6 pennyworth of gentles and then take the train to Hampton Court to fish the river there, or sometimes The Longwater in the palace grounds. The shop had a pervasive aroma of linseed oil and ammonia and I lost count of the hours I spent staring at the rods in the window or the reels in a glass case on the counter. I still have a few of the floats that I bought from that old shop . . . . . and the Efgeco plastic bait boxes I bought there too some years later.

rayner

Reaction score
I used to work with a chap who called maggots gentle, too upmarket for s Yorkshire folk. :LOL: I also remember the ally maggot tubs.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Mine was Worralls in Warrington. Bill Worrall looked ancient then, this was mid 60's , He died a few years ago, he was around 93, I saw him on a club water about 2 years before he died.He turned driving a Toyota Landcruiser.
The shop sold fishing tackle and bait, Fly tying equipment, also guns from what looked like colt 45 to air rifles and shotguns , also cartridge belts and holsters.
I will never forget that he sold his maggots in wood shavings , they took some finding in your bait tub. If you asked for half a pint ,it was like quarter maggots and quarter wood shavings.His casters were good , you could buy hooks singularly and he also did his own breadcrumb and groundbait.
Like it's been said said in other posts, the shops have their own special aroma.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Probably W. P. Adams in Darlington. That all changed as a tackle shop opened in Richmond. Once I bought a car, my usual shop ended up being in Northallerton. However, the owner of that retired recently and I've barely been back since. In the twenty five years or so that Northallerton was my local, two shops in Darlington and, two in Richmond (they weren't in operation at the same time), have closed for good. The shop I now consider my local is Darlington Angling Centre.

Aknib

Reaction score
I distinctly remember mine, it was a tiny shop called Richmonds on Midworth Street in Mansfield just up from (appropriately enough) the fishmongers. I think Brian Richmond started the business but it was his son Dale who I tended to see more often.

He'd usually be whipping an eye on a rod or something like that and the shop had that distinctly overpowering smell of ammonia from the maggots, everything about it shouted fishing and I loved it!

If you went in and asked for half a pint of maggots it would often be met with his catchphrase 'Where ya going kid, tu't dam?'

This was reference to the local town centre mill dam where us kids often ended up, sometime during the early to mid-eighties Chub suddenly began to show and it was rumoured that they'd found their way back from the Trent via several large dustbins in the back of a van and which in turn may have boosted the takings of a local tackle shop's bait sales... All unsubstantiated rumour of course and I haven't heard anyone complain, there are still Chub in there to this day and it certainly sorted out the hordes of sticklebacks and minnows.

I still see the old premises now and think about the tackle shop that was every time I go by it, somehow the premises have managed to survive on going redevelopment all around it but I don't know for how much longer.

I wish the shop was still going, I always enjoyed going in and much prefer the more earthy, individual experience as opposed to the sterile, supermarket type offerings that seem to be popular with many these days.

Following on from that myself and a mate had heard that a new tackle shop had opened on Milton Street and so one school lunchtime we trecked over there and, baring in mind these were the Trent matchfishing halcyon days with the stick float kings regularly going head to head, who should be standing behind the counter?

None other than John Dean himself!

John was a household name back at the time and it was like opening the door, walking in and seeing God staring back at us... Happy days! :)

peterjg

Reaction score
S-Kippy, I remember Judd's of Hillingdon (good shop), later they also had a shop in South Ruislip.

The earliest shop I remember was Chubb's (Mollison Way) between Queensbury and Burnt Oak. It was owned by Fred Buller.

Another shop I frequented as a kid and as a grown up was Young's of Harrow. They used to sell split shot by the ounze. I clearly remember with my nose against the shop window gazing at a new Allcocks Ariel in a square cardboard box, no pocket money.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Probably W. P. Adams in Darlington. That all changed as a tackle shop opened in Richmond. Once I bought a car, my usual shop ended up being in Northallerton. However, the owner of that retired recently and I've barely been back since. In the twenty five years or so that Northallerton was my local, two shops in Darlington and, two in Richmond (they weren't in operation at the same time), have closed for good. The shop I now consider my local is Darlington Angling Centre.
I have been in Richmond Angling centre when I was up in Yorkshire, we stayed at a caravan park on the banks of the Swale, Also went in the Green Howard's Museum in Richmond.
Went into Northallerton Angling Centre when I was staying in Thirsk, and visiting James Herriot museum. Then onto Hawes for some proper Wenslydale cheese. Was in Hawes once when All Creatures Great And Small wasbeing filmed, it was good watching how they did it.

sensi

Reaction score
How many of us still remember our first tackle shop, mine was EDKO sports in Romford. I can still picture the tackle counter on the left, the glass top display cupboards, the window with rods and reels lined up for sale. I am sure I can still smell the linseed oil and maggots. Buying my sixpence worth of maggots and a bag of silver cloud ground bait. Bought my first proper rod from there, 2 pieces of cane with a fibre glass top. Happy days.
I remember this shop and the one opposite the bus garage in North Street, names escape me

chrissh

Reaction score
My first proper tackle shop was Ron chapman’s in Hertford he was a rod maker from Ware every time I went in his shop I would pick up a Amwell 11ft 3 piece rod and ask how much it was in the end he let me pay 10 shillings from my paper round every week on a saving card, he wouldn’t let me have the rod until I paid for it that was 1968 ... when I got a motor bike it was up the A10 to Dons in Edminton

The Runner

Reaction score
Cant remember which one I went to first but it would have been one of the four then in Newcastle city centre, most probably Robertsons in the Haymarket, or Bagnall & Kirkwood on Grey Street. In mid teens started concentrating more on coarse fishing so started using Anglers Den in an upstairs shop on Blackett Street which had the best selection of coarse stuff (a very low bar in Newcastle in the early 70s...) but which fell victim to the demolition for the new shopping development and never restarted, so began to travel down to Durham where the shop (which I can't for the life of me remember the name of) had decent stock and far better bait than anywhere in Newcastle.
Actually used to get a lot stuff on mail order from Tom Watsons in Nottingham at that time as well.

EDIT; the shop in Durham was Anglers Services

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
S-Kippy, I remember Judd's of Hillingdon (good shop), later they also had a shop in South Ruislip.
It was a great shop in its heyday. I never really thought the Ruislip shop was a good idea but Big Micky Bewick was there and was a mad keen fly dresser....as was I then so I was often to be found in the shop. Rent hikes did for Ruislip...the only reason Hillingdon lasted so long was because Jack had the freehold. In the end the property was worth more than the business.

Some lovely cased fish in the Hillingdon shop,mostly from the Colne and a lot by Cooper. Marvellous cases and I'd loved to have fished the river back then but the best case by a mile was one containing 5 roach over 2lb which Jack had off the Hants Avon at Downton.Brilliantly done....I dont think I've ever seen better.

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
I remember this shop and the one opposite the bus garage in North Street, names escape me

I think that was Romford Angling it was a small shop near the Parkside pub. At that time there were at least 6 tackle shop in the area now I don't think there is one in Romford and I only know of one in Hornchurch. After that it would be a 20 mile drive to the nearest AD store. Saying that I would often make a trip out Cliff Glentons shop in Ealing, around 2 hrs by train just for a chat and pick up a new rod.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have been in Richmond Angling centre when I was up in Yorkshire, we stayed at a caravan park on the banks of the Swale, Also went in the Green Howard's Museum in Richmond.
Went into Northallerton Angling Centre when I was staying in Thirsk, and visiting James Herriot museum. Then onto Hawes for some proper Wenslydale cheese. Was in Hawes once when All Creatures Great And Small wasbeing filmed, it was good watching how they did it.

Those visits were obviously a long time ago. Richmond Angling Centre has been closed for at least fifteen years, probably more. It was preceded by a shop in the market place that shut down in the late eighties. Northallerton Angling Centre moved out of the town centre around ten years ago. The last series of All Creatures Great And Small was aired in 1990. A lot of my school mates made a few quid as extras. Plenty of the filming was done in the cobbled areas of Richmond and the surrounding villages and countryside. My old man used to work with Alf Wight's (Herriot's real name) daughter.

terry m

Reaction score
For me it was John Eadies in Salisbury. It was on my walk to the bus stop when I attended the local grammar school so used to drop in several times a week.

It was still going right up until a couple of years ago, though it’s fair to say that in latter years the fishing side was definitely second to the broader sports sections.

Lovely people.