Fishing a commercial for the first time?

skov

Reaction score
The idea of fishing commercials has never really appealed, but I think I'm coming round to the idea after a string of blanks on my club pits... (Oh how I miss the river!).
I'm starting to fancy a few hours of relatively easy fishing just to remind me what it's like to get my string tugged :eek:

The thing is, I've never fished one before and haven't got a clue where to start :confused:
Assuming it's a mixed course fishery, and I'd like to catch a mixed bag, what sort of tackle, baits, tactics, would people suggest as a starting point?

Thanks!

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Commies are not always easy but most hold a good head of silvers.
Wagg and magg or method feeder with pellet for carp.

theartist

Reaction score
Given your original post Skov i'd recommend finding somewhere that's got a quiet corner or two as going from a natural fishery to a busy commercial can be a bit of an eye opener.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Yes worth looking around for one of the quieter ones if possible and if a chance midweek.

The secret is to try and avoid the main target species which are carp and as suggested a medium float rod and
I use an insert waggler 3bb and a biggish hook to pick up good quality fish. Usually suprising good silvers and perch are around and often ignored.

I tend to use whole cooked prawns with maggot feed for the better fish.

You will catch carp so I tend to use 5.5 or 6.6 straight through.

Lastly, dont ignore the margins and 1 /2 rods out. Let the others wack the feeders out to the far bank/islands.

Good Luck.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Like Rob I'd rather fish a natural water ( like I am right now)
but like this one they're usually gin clear and rock hard at this time of year .
Commies tend to be coloured up most of the time.

rayner

Reaction score
If you expect to catch just because it's a commercial you may get a shock. Yes they can be easy, they can also seem like there are not many fish.
Approach it carefully and you should catch.
The nights are cold at the moment and even though match weights may be good match anglers no what's happening, believe it or not the blokes that match fish commercials are very good at what they do.
Try and get a bit of information from the fishery before you start if you can.

iain t

Reaction score
Ask and listen to the owners and Bailiff for advice. They're there every day and will know the best bait and style to use. Ever phone them first before going to their waters.

skov

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
I went for a look round a nearby 'commie' today and I'm feeling a little less apprehensive now.
It looked quite pleasant, though a little more manicured than I'm used to! Plenty of fishy swirls, the odd silver topping, and not too many anglers.
Think I might take a day off work in the week and give it a go while it's quiet.

robcourt82

Reaction score
Lol a year ago and I'd have felt the same. I now fish them all the time. Sometimes I fish for silver's, sometimes for carp. If you can find a decent venue they can be brilliant. We tend to underestimate commercials but I have learnt so much the last year.
Tactics like the method have so many variables its far from the Chuck and chance I always assumed it was.