Fishing a stillwater in hot sunny weather

Another Dave

Reaction score
Well it's nearly time for my annual fishing trip to a day ticket water with my old fishing mate from back in the day. We will be fishing the 'silvers' lake at Fennes, Essex. The owners tell me they have taken most of the carp out of this lake so I'm really looking forward to doing some classic pleasure fishing with light line this year.

This has been booked for next Wednesday and looking at the forecast we are expecting the hottest day of the year so far, up to 27C. Fishing wisdom has it that these are NOT good conditions for a lot of species, especially perch, one of my favourites. What about tench and crucians? I'm sure that as a youth these species would feed in a heatwave. The fish in my garden pond go crazy for food on a hot day, so why is it such an issue 'in the wild'?

Sorry for the unfocussed questions, I suppose what I really want is some encouragement and hopefully some tips leading to a catch worth regaling here. Pleasure fishing on a hot day then, over to you.

Reaction score
Right sir,here is my two penneth,look for a swim where you can fish in the shade for the entire day if possible,try to get two to three feet of depth up the margins,fish like crucians can feed through the the sun and heat,but crucians and tench prefer lower light levels,good luck.

Keith M

Reaction score
The warmer water gets the less oxygen it can hold so the more lethargic the fish are liable to get. Plus fish like Tench have very light sensitive small red eyes which tends to keep them in and around dense lilly and weed beds or where possible in deeper water where the light from the sun doesn't penetrate quite as much, and the temps can be a bit less throughout the summer.

As Whitty said fish like Tench and Crucian much prefer to be in the shade but will still take a bait on the odd occasion.

If I were targeting Tench and Crucian then I would be fishing from first light when the temperatures are lower and packing up once the sun gets high in the sky or fishing in the evening until the light fades.

For me fishing through the middle of a hot sunny day for Tench and Crucian is usually a waste of time unless the fish are starving hungry.

Small silvers are the only thing I'd expect to catch when the sun gets really high on a really bright and sweltering hot summers day.

Keith

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
Sounds like my kind of water, I'd be up in the water with casters, both crucians and tench will come shallow to feed and you'll surely catch roach and skimmers.

mikench

Reaction score
Take a brolly to provide shade. It can be erected at the side or behind rather than overhead which impedes casting . I have a cheap brolly which is useless in the wind and rain but super as a parasol. I don't know about the fish but I feel cooler.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Take a buzzer alarm, if you’re anything like me a few zzzzzz’s won’t be far away.

oh, and some suntan lotion.?

Paste paul

Reaction score
As with all angling questions you can’t always give definite answers because you never know in fishing and it’s hard to answer when you don’t know the water.....
But I’d look for a spot that has features bushes overhanging trees Lilly’s reeds anything as fish like features..... I’d also try and get the wind in my face or find a spot in a corner with the wind blowing into it failing that fish the side of the lake that the wind blows into fish tend to follow the wind because it blows the food there that’s the theory anyway......
I’d also look for signs of anglers by that I mean more heavily fished spots tend to fish ok as they get plenty of bait thrown at them.
I’d also try to find out what baits are used there normally it’s always best to use what the fish like if you can’t ask someone when you get there....
Now at least we have a chance at something....
I’d also try and find out what methods work best and what types of fish are dominant..... it’s no good carping if its a bream water ......
Often you will see someone catching and think how’s he doing it I haven’t had a bite the answer is go and ask him ! What you got to lose he might say your in the wrong spot or your using the wrong bait whatever!!!!!!
Now the important bit sit back enjoy the weather relax and you might just catch something as an added bonus ?

Philip

Reaction score
Hot sunny day on a stillwater and I would probably think a sort of mag and wag approach...spraying in maggots every cast till you have the surface literally "boiling". Fish a slow sinking bait and bag up ! Not just a small fish method either ...Large Rudd in particular can slip up to that tactic if they are in the water. ...Elstow was an example in years gone past.

Another method I remeber I used to use as a kid on very hot sunny days was to use anchored crust on the surface. The fish will often congregate in large groups on the surface on days like that and you could catch all sorts ...even Bream I recall would readily come up to take bread off the surface. Exciting to watch.