Fishing above a weir

rich66

Reaction score
I’ve been reading a lot on the web about weir pool fishing, but I’ve not come across fishing above the weir.
1) do people not fish above a weir and why
2) what species might inhabit that area
3) any tips or tactics I might try

Reason I ask some of the river sections I’ve a ticket for have above the weir but not below
Thanks

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've generally found the fifty to one hundred yards or so immediately above a weir to be as poor as the weirpool is good. Often slow, deep, poorly oxygenated and, as suggested already, a veritable snag pit. I'm sure there will be exceptions, or times when this isn't the case, but I've never had decent results immediately above a weir.

theartist

Reaction score
The only places I've done well above weirs is on really shallow rivers and I mean shallow, you would call them streams or brooks, weirs on these little waters often make for the only bit of depth. Like the others I'd generally plump for below the weir on any normal sized rivers any day, early season they are magic.

flightliner

Reaction score
I fish three on and off, above Collingham weir on the Trent with its famous peg 6 and 7. Full of many species and famous match pegs.
The one at Tattershall on the river Bain in Lincolnshire, had some largish chub in the evenings some years ago now.
One on the Don in Sheffield where I can catch Greyling , Trout and Dace all day long.
None have given me any problems with snags.

rich66

Reaction score
I fish three on and off, above Collingham weir on the Trent with its famous peg 6 and 7. Full of many species and famous match pegs.
The one at Tattershall on the river Bain in Lincolnshire, had some largish chub in the evenings some years ago now.
One on the Don in Sheffield where I can catch Greyling , Trout and Dace all day long.
None have given me any problems with snags.

Thanks do you trot a float into them or leger ?

flightliner

Reaction score
Thanks do you trot a float into them or leger ?
Collingham weir it's normally a feeder job unless I fish peg one immedietly above the overfall then it's the float as it's a roach peg.
The Bain and Don is always the float!

Last edited:

Philip

Reaction score
I have done ok top side of some weirs. ..by top side I mean the last say 100/150m or so.

One big advantage....on bigger rivers that last few hundred meters above a weir wont have any boat traffic as they will go round to the lock leaving an almost dead arm leading up to the weir. River Carpers can do well here. Bream will probably be about too.

Especially on the cold days of winter I would not be put off putting a bait on the top side of a weir. The calm deeper water could hold a surprise.

Last edited:

Weirdoh

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I fish two above weir areas on two different rivers which give very good sport for Perch on worm and prawns on the bigger wider river and large Chub and Brownies on the smaller river it is fairly deep on both and due to one being on a canoe run offers a safe wooden platform (canoe exit) for casting out to beside a faster channel of water, as it thins out close to the lip of the weir I would assume good food collection is known by bigger fish and learned by those growing.
There is a third but I haven't finished filming the place underwater yet to introduce a hookbait.

Last edited: