fishing disasters

riverman

Reaction score
we've all had them and i thought i'd share one i had with you all.i was fishing on the island lake at brafferton in north yorkshire a couple of years back when i had a day i'll never forget.3 pieces of tackle broken/lost in one session.first 2 ribs on my brolly broke then i slipped and fell off the platform into the lake.later that day i lost my footing and stood on my extending landing net handle and cracked it and then to cap it all off when i went to wash my brolly spike it fell down the tube and fell into the lake and was unable to get it back.

mikench

Reaction score
Thankfully I cannot compete with that. I watched my Korum extending rod rest come adrift and drop into 6' of water once, left a flat back brolly leaning against a tree at one venue on another day and broke a tip and lost a feeder first cast on another. The brolly did not turn up.

rayner

Reaction score
Disasters in fishing, me, it as never nor will it ever happen.:rolleyes:

Edit, idiotic grammar.

Last edited:

Reaction score
One night myself and a mate were night fishing Vauxhall AC's water at Woburn Sands,it may have been during the 1976 heatwave,but whatever it had been scorching,we had turned up at around 7pm to set up ready for the night,anyway,another then mate of mine Rob Maylin turned up just as darkness set in and struggled to set up in the dark,anyway at around 11.30pm I awoke from dozing and noticed a strange hazy light beyond the hawthorn bushes behind Rob,a while later whilst continually watching the light seemed to have got a bit brighter and there was a slight noise,15 minutes later it was much brighter and the noise was recognisable,crackling,the guy with me woke up and we went over to where Rob was,only to find he wasnt there,we went nearer and actually saw flame dancing 15-20' in the air,we approached carefully to see the obviously crazy Rob jumping from one side of the flames to the other,the next thing firemen had got to the lake and were pumping water for the hoses,clean underwear was required....

Keith M

Reaction score
When I was a small boy back in the 1950s I went fishing on the river Thames with my dad and I ended up in the water because the overhanging bank that I had been fishing from collapsed into the river, and I couldn’t swim back then.

I was saved by someone fishing next to us diving in to save me and I spent the next few hours huddled alongside my dad; with a see through plastic Mac draped over me; with my clothing drying out on the fence behind us, and every time a pleasure boat went past everyone on it was cheering and laughing and pointing at me.

A more recent thing (but still a long time ago) was when a mate took a picture of me holding a large Tench using a bright flash on his camera; and I was temporarily blinded by the flash and duly stepped towards the water to return the Tench but what I thought was firm banking turned out to be the water, and I found myself up to my neck in it.

Keith

Last edited:

maceo

Reaction score
My one also concerns taking a dip.

First day of the season a couple of years ago and I was itching to be on the bank. Got all my kit clean and ready, sandwiches and flask made, into the car and was on the bank just around sunrise. Lovely.

At 2 mins past sunrise, I performed an enormous belly flop into the Thames whilst trying to push in a bankstick right on the edge.

I had to squelch back to the car and go home again. What a wasted day!

The Runner

Reaction score
My best, or worst, one was on the Tees at Over Dinsdale in an open in 1972 when I was 17
Drew a swim where had to wade about a third of the way across so set up on the bank, had most of stuff in a bait apron, keepnet tied in to belt etc.
Slid down steep, high, overgrown bank on the whistle to get into the water (this was in the days when you weren't allowed to break the water before the start), got foot caught in something. flipped over and bellyflopped into 18 inches of not very warm water.
In the process lost all of my maggots from a bucket on my belt and some of casters from apron. Luckily still had enough casters left along with a wasps nest and some grub in a bag. Fished soaked and shivering (it was late September) watching the lad on the absolute flier below me sacking up, after about half the match went to switch to the cake to try to find a proper chub, cake still held a wasp that I didnt see and got stung in palm of the right hand which was swearword painful. Fished wrong handed for the rest of the match but with the cold and the throbbing hand had had enough when the whistle went and just tipped back about 4 lb rather than hang around for what would have been a long wait for the scales.
And found out later that might have had enough for a section win as the flier below me was in the next section.
Not my favourite day.