Fishing Heaven or Hell?

J K

Reaction score
Many a true word..........:eek::j

Xplorer1

Reaction score
Brilliant! And very scary. Re the Tesco's reference, my local gardening centre now has a tackle section: self-service, no staff, mostly Shakespeare, as I remember. Quickly gathering dust. I can't imagine how much small stuff they must be losing to pilferage.

And it's a vision of sheer HELL.

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
I am glad people like Graham and myself lived through a time when fishing was a marvellous voyage of discovery.

The very thought of angling in the unknown was full of excitement. It's hardly possible to do this in England today.

Well I suppose there is always Australia.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Ooooh! dear oh! dear oh! dear, please tell me it isn't going to come to that. Not for me it won't for sure but I am thinking of those starting out cos there wouldn't be much to enjoy would there? No blanks, no small fish and certainly no skill....oooooha! missus.

Ron, I am very sorry for you, you seem to be dwelling more and more in the make believe world of yesteryear where everything was wonderful and the fish were very obliging. In reality I am older than you and remember all those times plus some and the truth of it is that it may have been different but certainly not better, fishing, like life, in the forties, fifties and sixties was certainly enjoyed at the time but no way was it better, it was hard, much harder than today. You need to get back to the real world Ron, get those rose tinted spectacles off and remember what it was really like.

Reaction score
Be afraid...be very afraid!

Thanks for the product plug Andy.

Remember folks, it doesn't matter how angling changes over the years - you will still need to poo - sometimes when there just isn't anywhere to go!

To enhance the effectiveness of Jobby-Gon, don't forget to take a dose of Corker's Firm-a-turd before you set off.

dezza

Reaction score
Sorry Graham but I completely and utterley disagree with you.

During the 60s particularly I fondly remember superb catches of fish that didn't have names. But I'll not go into too much detail other than to say that the rivers were full of roach.

There are not like that now.

dezza

Reaction score
Of course many rivers were polluted. The Don and Rother in my part of the world were terribly polluted.

But the Idle, Ryton, Maun, Meden and Poulter were not polluted and they were full of roach, dace, chub and trout. They are not like this now.

I'll let you all answer that one.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
A very terrifying insight to what the future could be like.

I would hasten to add, that just because there were more fish in a water, the fishing wouldn't necessarily be better, just easier.

A bit like today's commercial waters, are they better? to some, but, are they easier? to most.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Of course many rivers were polluted. The Don and Rother in my part of the world were terribly polluted.

But the Idle, Ryton, Maun, Meden and Poulter were not polluted and they were full of roach, dace, chub and trout. They are not like this now.

I'll let you all answer that one.

Hang on Ron, on your other thread you were slagging off the polluted rivers of London,and praising yorkshires, you said in another reply to me putting you right about london "yes but no fishing"
sounds like it's you who has that problem:confused:;)

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Nice one Andy!

Corker wouldn't let anyone use his Jobby-Gon on the Trent - probably having problems with the design calcs and having to work it out with a pencil! :eek:

Skoda

Reaction score
I didn’t mean it to be that scary! The point I’m trying to make is the inevitable ‘progress’ in fishing technology will make fishing easier; is that a good or a bad thing? I don’t know, it’s hard enough to catch fish most of the time!
I was prompted to write the piece when I realised that I was using Halibut pellet for nearly all my fishing, with some success. I was catching bigger, better fish and the only difference was the bait.

Surely some of the major attractions of fishing are the challenges; the overcoming of obstacles; the ‘working it out’; improving skills. It’s not just about catching fish with‘magic’ bait.

By the way I hear that K-Tel are interested in the Jobby-Gon:)

Andy