Fishing in Spain

bazmati

Reaction score
Anybody fished in Spain for anything else apart from Carp and Catfish?
Thinking of heading over for a few weeks in the winter and wondered if it was worth taking any tackle.
Baz

john step

Reaction score
Spain is a big country and distances between venues can be daunting especially from the normal holiday places.
There are zander, roach, rudd, barbel and mullet in the Ebro.
There are barbel in the other rivers and also the man made reservoirs that they feed.
Some lakes have been stocked with black bass.

bazmati

Reaction score
Hi John, do many people fish for the roach and mullet? wondered if it would be worth taking a float rod. Saw some of the middle reaches of the Ebro a couple of years ago when driving through and it looked stunning.Have you fished over there much?

john step

Reaction score
Yes a bit, broadly but not in depth.
Rio Ebro at Flix has a set of huge gates across the river and there is a fascinating stretch below there where you can trot little sub rivers.

You can get access to the Ebro in the towns of Amposta, Tortosa and Mora.
zander and roach and mullet as well as the widespread carp. Amposta is a good base to get access.

There is a large lake inland from Torrevieja in Murcia that has barbel and bass and some very long water snakes:eek:

The Tagus at Toledo has a large bend and a weir. Wall to wall carp as mostly out there.

Estartit there is a river the locals fish.
Girona has a sluggish river.

I never found much further South due to the rivers largely being dry for much of the year. (Ramblas)

I think the further North you are the more chance of fishing but you wont get away from carp anywhere I feel. Its not all the big lumps that are advertised in the angling holidays. There are smaller ones as well.

Not a clue about permits. Not admitting any more!