Fishing near Bristol & Rod advice

Mike Denbury

Reaction score
Firstly hello to everyone.
I?m taking up fishing again after a 15 year break and have to say that there have been so many developments in the equipment available. I will mainly be course fishing on lakes and rivers. After an outing with a friend I tried ledgering and enjoyed it a lot.

My question is do I have to buy a match rod and a ledger/feeder rod or is there a rod available that can do both?

I also live in Bristol (Southwest) and wanted to know if anyone had any recommendations as to good places to fish, I know the river season starts soon and want to know where to start.

Thanks Mike

Milo

Reaction score
Mike

You might like to take a look at the John Wilson Avon rods. My mate bought one a few months ago from NWAC for ?40 with a reel (real bargain!). There's a top for float work, and a quiver top and tips for leger/feeder work.

I've got seperate rods, but if I'd seen that when I started out...

K

D

Deck Monkey

mike

Joind BADAS (Bath and District Anglers Society) as they have a lot of water. I'm in Keynsham Anglers who are afilliated with BADAS which is cheaper. Coal Pit Heath has a good small commercial day ticket carp water but only fish floaters if you have their special controller float - long story! Thats all I've found so far in a year and a half of fishing down here but I don't get out as much as I used to!

Good Luck

Steve

R

Richard Trenberth

Mike,

I would definetly recommend the John Wilson rods, I use the quiver section on rivers for Barbel, Tench, & Bream and I use the avon section to do close in float fishing for Carp on lakes.

I would also recommend joining Bathampton Angling Association, they have plenty of water (both lakes & rivers) in the Bristol & Bath area, have a look at their website for more info on www.bathampton.org

Another club worth alook is the Bristol, Bath, & Wiltshire amalgamation of anglers, again plenty of river sections in Bath, Keynsham, & Wiltshire.

What fish species are you looking to target?

Richard

D

Deck Monkey

Amalgamation - thats the one I was trying to think of!