Fishing near Lowestoft

M

Malcolm Bason

Does anyone know of good carp fishing waters near to the Lowestoft area - I have a static caravan there and would like to use it as a base during the summer months.

A

Andy Thatcher

Depends on how far you would be willing to travel really. I even know of a free water in the area about 45 minutes away from where you are going to be but the carp are a little few and far between. I'd suggest you call Saxmundham Angling Centre (01728603443) as Brian, the owner, is usually fairly clued up on to what is happening.
Cheers
Andy

M

Malcolm Bason

Thank you very much Andy - nice of you to reply. I'm going over there this week-end (31 March to 2nd April) to open up, so to speak, and will contact him shortly after that.

I normally go to Wrentham which is only about 8 miles from there, but there is nothing of note in the small ponds there. I have looked at one or two other places, but didn't like what I saw.

A

Andy Thatcher

Not a problem. I used to live in Suffolk so know quite a few waters but they are mainly about an hour or so away, er not alot of good ! John Wilson published a book of where to fish in Suffolk & Norfolk that maybe worth picking up.

R

Rob Brownfield

malcolm. My parents live in Lowestoft and I regularly nip down from Scotland for carp.
Catch 22 is good if u want lots of doubles up to low 20's. A large gravel pit full of dutch carp.
Aldeby Hall lakes, about 10 minutes from Lowestoft has 4 ponds, all containing fish to 20+ Lovely little place with pads, weed beds etc.
Burgh Hall Farm (I think) has some good carp, about 7 minutes from Lowestoft. Brillient surface water, loads off the top.
For BIG fish, Waveny valley lakes or Camelot.
I would phone either the Brundall Angling Centre, Lowestoft Angling Centre or Norwhich Angling Centre. All will be able to help.
Send me an e mail if u need help. I have fished most water round there.

M

Malcolm Bason

Rob, thank you very much indeed. I have printed off this thread so that I have the info you kndly gave me and will enquire re: their respective phone numbers.

The reason i posted this question in the first place was in the hope that someone would provide me with first-hand knowledge of the place, which you have done, again thank you.

I purchased John Wilson's book: "Where to Fish in Norfolk and Suffolk" last year - so thanks again for that Andy - and have looked at one or two places that are featured. However, quite a number are either too far away, or generally mixed fisheries, and I wanted information specifically about carp waters. Having said that, I will not be targetting purely carp, but its nice to have the knowledge, so to speak, under one's belt!!

R

Rob Brownfield

Malcolm...no probs, e mail me if u want to know recommended tactics, bait etc. I have a few others that I have remembered about too.

A

Andy Rooke

malcom i would recomend that you fish waveney valley lakes these are lovley as i have just come off from a session on there i fished on d lake and it is a lovley complex bit expencise though some lovley fish in there
rooky

M

Malcolm Bason

Thank you very much Andy. Whilst I was over that way I had a look at the place - last Wednesday in fact. And I certainly will be giving it a try next time round. Thanks again. :eek:)

M

Malcolm Bason

I don't know which lake was which mate - and to be honest did'nt have much of a look, I was more concerned at the time with its location.

When I go to Lowestoft, I go A14 to Bury St Eds, A143 to Beccles, and then A146 to Lowestoft. Anything along the way that I can find and fancy having a go at I will.

Re: Waveney Valley Lakes - I just drove along (from Lowestoft) and saw the signs to Wortwell on the left and doubled back through I think it was Redenhall(??) and from the village the Compex was on the right. There looked to be about 6 to 8 lakes, but I couldn't be sure - some were skirted by caravans, and one or two bungalows/lodges. I did'nt hang about I wanted to get home.

What I would be interested to know are favoured methods and on which lakes(s)? Which baits are working well? Which are predominantly carp? How much? 12hrs and 24hrs? etc etc???

Many thanks.

R

Rob Brownfield

Waveny Valley, give them a call, very helpful, last time i spoke to them, Nash Whiskey boillies were doeing well, fished with small PVA bags hard up against the far margins. Odd fish caught from the middle(No one really fishes here, I suspect the carp think it is safe) Just up from Wavenry you have Yew Tree Lake, beautiful place with some nice fish. Plenty of restrictions, but sensible ones. Catfish there too.

Back to Waveny, all the lakes are carp waters, but only some are open to day tickets. Again, best to phone and check as the areas u can fish seem to change each time I have been there. Its run through Penge Angling now, so these guys can help. There is a tackle shop and manager onsite and u can get just about anything there...including a hot shower.

http://www.tmikoi.com/fishing_complexes.htm
http://www.waveneyvalleylakes.com/index.html

Hope this helps

R

Rob Brownfield

Malcolm, My pleasure...U can by me a pint in The Plough at Blunderstone...leave it behind the bar, I'll be there in July!..lol

A

Andy Rooke

hi malcom
if you do decide to fish there i fished on D lake, if you go on there what i can tell you what is what i was told myself and done. you will have to check about what pegs are free as it can get busy at this time of year, as far as baut i wa s using Protavit Liver 14mm bottom baits and pop-ups, if you can get aacsess to a bait boat i was using one when there is that the fish like nice tight beds of bait in there is to use one. as far as rigs at first when i got there i was using hook links of about 12-13 inch in length with no joy, i then changed to braid rigs of around 6 inch in length i then started to have takes mate, there are a lot of gravel bars in there and i was fishiing at the bottom of the bars, as far i am am told most people like to fish up tight to the islands on there and i was adviced to when i was there. once i had no joy i decided to come of the island about 4 feet and fish at the bottom of the bar i then started to have takes with fishing at the bottom of the bar you are more likly to get drop backs as all my takes was, i was hittin single beeps and was catching, once there i was not using a lt of bait and i pre baited the spots for three days before casting a bait to these spots in the end i used about 17 kilos of bait because of the amou nt of takes Parti blen, pellets, corn crushed boilies was my bed of bait. if you do decde to go there good luck mate best to ring Mike or Blake on 01986 788676.

M

Malcolm Bason

Thanks very much Andy - I have copied the info into 'word' along with others and will bear it all in mind when I head that way next!

Rob - "U can by me a pint in The Plough at Blunderstone...leave it behind the bar, I'll be there in July!..lol"

No probs - let us know nearer the time and maybe i'll join you for one in person!

R

Rob Brownfield

Nice one Malcolm! I'll take u to Catch 22, we'll empty the place! Last time I was there I had 11 bream over 8 pounds, and 17 carp up to 22 pounds...in 24 hours!

R

Rob Brownfield

Malcolm, I forgot to mention, Taswood Lakes to the North of Norwich is well worth a visit. U have to pre book a place, but the fishing is fantastic and its very well run! I had 4 beautiful Ghosties up to 15 pounds off the top on floaters, all under the rod tip, and i must have missed about 20 of the buggers. Well worth a visit!!!