Fishing videos on youtube

Reaction score
Apparently these videos could well be coming to a halt on the fifteenth of this month,youtube have put a notice that anything showing cruelty will be stopped after that date,lots of fishing channels will disappear if that is the case...

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm sure Alan like the rest of us doesn't think it's cruel but there are many out there that think it is.

In this fast changing crazy world anything is possible, we must enjoy fishing while we can.

Reaction score
Look sticking hooks into fish and dragging them out of water cannot be called humane,unless we stick our heads up our anuses,we all try to give as little distress as is possible,but does that hack it....

rayner

Reaction score
Some of these fishing videos want banning. The music most play is absolutely shocking. If music is what I consider bad they soon get stopped. Other I don't like are fish hauling videos. A bit of chat is far better than catching fish. Everyone says I'll just hold it up for you. I don't want to see fish, we can all catch fish. Entertainment was the only thing I wanted from fishing videos, not some fool holding fish up. Now lockdown is gone Youtube is not needed. If they ban it so what, it took forever to find an interesting video to watch.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Maybe it does us a favour if these fishing videos are not available for public consumption. Whether they show cruelty or not is a moot point, those that want to see cruelty will and those that don't wont.
I was reading somewhere the Government are serious about introducing a new environmental bill where animal sentience will be high on the agenda so the less public our hobby is will be a good thing. We shouldn't have to hide but then again maybe less is best.
It wont bother me personally I have watched a few angling tube's but not many, mainly only if someone has wanted me to watch one for some specific reason.

The Sogster

Reaction score
Maybe it does us a favour if these fishing videos are not available for public consumption.Whether they show cruelty or not is a moot point, those that want to see cruelty will and those that don't wont.

This is a good point which I agree with to a certain extent.
But in our (anglers of all persuasion) defence in the court of public opinion I notice that there are a fair few advertisements on mainstream tv which feature fisherman, credit cards and property spring to mind.

I may well be proven wrong but if these advertising agencies are happy to portray fishing as an acceptable activity, then the majority have no problem with our beloved pastime.

Yes the dreaded tube has some terrible videos but this goes for anything. I'd only be worried if one of these went viral for the wrong reason.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
This is a good point which I agree with to a certain extent.
But in our (anglers of all persuasion) defence in the court of public opinion I notice that there are a fair few advertisements on mainstream tv which feature fisherman, credit cards and property spring to mind.

I may well be proven wrong but if these advertising agencies are happy to portray fishing as an acceptable activity, then the majority have no problem with our beloved pastime.

Yes the dreaded tube has some terrible videos but this goes for anything. I'd only be worried if one of these went viral for the wrong reason.
Your probably right but it is creeping, first this ban on animal cruelty videos, although not angling is it the thin end, and then this sentience thing the gov are pushing. How long will the advertisers/credit card companies think it OK to show anglers or angling in their advertising if it does take a hit with all the attendant bad publicity it might undergo. Maybe it will never happen but I have often thought angling will get its turn one day. It is low on the spectrum now but someone will want to push it up the ladder eventually, some news paper with not many stories and the anti brigade have run out of foxes and badgers etc. and some political party will see votes in it.

Reaction score
Oooooh,can't stand em,two yawping Dean Maceys in the making,inane giggling has no place for meI would rather watch something like Avon angling with the guy being honest to admit deficiencies in his angling,but enjoying it nonetheless,fair play,he has been fishing the canal a lot lately,on the pole,a method he openly admits he knows little about,but recognises it gives better presentation to his normal waggler rig,still enjoyable to me,as you can see the pleasure he gets....

Burton Bridge

Reaction score
Fishing videos where fish care is shown will not be banned. Its the spear Fishing and possibly game Fishing that might end up bother. However I think lockdown showed there is not mainstream hatred against fishermen.

Let's not link ourselves to fox hunters

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Fishing videos where fish care is shown will not be banned. Its the spear Fishing and possibly game Fishing that might end up bother. However I think lockdown showed there is not mainstream hatred against fishermen.

We wont but others will. I don't think anyone with common sense will but that's a big ask these days. Even then I don't think they will use fox hunting as a comparison, they can show angling as cruelty in its own right because it is, you cant get away from that in my opinion. We can point out that it is very low on the cruelty spectrum say compared to fox hunting and the like but would that be enough! Its not the fish they will be bothered about anyway, we will just be the latest target for the boot, that's what they want, "someone" to hate and have a go at.

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score

Why would spear fishing and game fishing end up in bother?
Spearfishing is normally done for the pot same with some game fishing.
There will always be those that want to ban things that others enjoy doing but one thing you have to remember is that nobody go fishing for the welfare of the fish. The way to care for fish is for us not catch them in the first place.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
but one thing you have to remember is that nobody go fishing for the welfare of the fish.
Agreed, but you'll struggle to find many average members of the animal-loving public who give fish welfare a moment's consideration, or who have any interest in what is going on below the surface of the waters on which they might enjoy bird watching, boating, or feeding the ducks.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
Oooooh,can't stand em,two yawping Dean Maceys in the making,inane giggling has no place for me
I can't stand Dean Macey (or Ali Hamidi, or any of that Essex boy lot) and "inane giggling" isn't normally a feature of videos from Carl and Alex. If you haven't seen any before, this is a useful introduction to what they're about, produced by the owners of Homersfield Lake in Norfolk.

nottskev

Reaction score
I've watched a few of their videos and I like them. Their videos are personal, well-crafted and catch the spirit of fishing. I think they fill a welcome niche, in amongst the branded technicist bag-up video -I'll show you how to empty the pool on pellet waggler - and the brash, coarse entertainment of the Essex boys' noisy quest for PB's.

Reaction score
I can't stand Dean Macey (or Ali Hamidi, or any of that Essex boy lot) and "inane giggling" isn't normally a feature of videos from Carl and Alex. If you haven't seen any before, this is a useful introduction to what they're about, produced by the owners of Homersfield Lake in Norfolk.

Haven't seen that one,but i've seen several others,all of which I found poor,that's me,just don't like em....

theartist

Reaction score
Just watched a vid by Terry Hearn where he takes his boat up The Thames - Eleven Years Afloat, It was naturally mostly about carp but shows other fish. I'm not a carper as you know by he narrated this story with a evident passion which made a 45min video fly by, well done that man.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Terry has done a few of them, if anyone was to get me into carp fishing it would be him, excellent videos.

I've started to notice some of pro and semi pro Youtubers are becoming a bit repetitive, they are under pressure to produce new videos on a regular basis, there are only so many ways you can make a carp, pike, perch or any other species video constantly interesting. They then resort to what I describe as more gimmicky content, big prize giveaways, fishing a goldfish pond. I guess sooner or later they'll be doing proper jobs again.

The Fishlocker remains my favourite channel, John Locker also tries to put out two videos a week, he's managed to keep the interest going and getting an even greater amount of subs and patreons now that he's doing short films on foraging, underwater footage and a few how to cook fish videos, plus he does a live Q and A once a month, amazing how far flung some of his subscribers are, virtually all corners of the globe. He speaks a lot about fish welfare and conservation, shame he left this forum.

Last edited: