Float fishing overdepth

Molehill

Reaction score
On stillwaters I always start with a plumb, only exception is if I plan to fish in the top layer or on the drop only.
Rivers trotting I don't normally bother, but fishing a slack for say perch or chub - basically I'm bottom fishing with a float - then it is the first thing. That knowledge also helps if I want to come a little off the bottom to escape the attention of gudgeon etc, keep the worm moving very slowly in the current.
Wouldn't be without my plummet.

mikench

Reaction score
I have several plummets and must learn to use one regularly. I'll try. I'm feeder fishing next time out.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have several plummets and must learn to use one regularly. I'll try. I'm feeder fishing next time out.

I didn't manage to get out over your way yesterday.
If all goes to plan and the weather does what it says it will i'm gonn'a have a stab tomorrow. I can't see there being many fished it today so the fish might be hungry ?.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
@tigger And @mikench what a pair of wimps, you are both northern lads, stop letting the side down.
Just put a jumper on over tee shirt and go fishing. It may be a little windy and showery (typical northern weather) You are not made of sugar, get out there and do some fishing.

SLM ?✊?❤?

Mark....your the man.....? ??SLM

rob48

Reaction score
I never ever plumb a river when trotting, I can't see the point, I just play about with my set up and alter it to fish how I want it to .
If fishing a slow deep river I might consider plumbing it. Most of the rivers I fish are pacy and I prefer fishing in no more than 7 or 8 foot of water, very often 10inches to 3ft.

^ THIS ^ Unless I'm on a river stretch that I've never heard of before I rarely ever use a plummet. It's not worth risking spooking shy fish. I set the estimated depth after I 've shotted up and then keep adding a couple of inches until the float starts to drag under as it goes down the peg.
Plumbing only gives an indication of depth within the confines of where it can be cast, and not many river swims are a constant depth all the way through.

Reaction score
It is important to know the depths and contours in your swim and yes being 12" overdepth 'can' make an enormous difference,I have fished as much as 3ft(plus hooklength)overdepth to overcome tow and give tench,carp and bream a chance to take the bait properly,I read with interest how a pole angler can present his bait better,when i'm loose feeding and catching ten yards from where the feed enters,this is on pellet and corn at times....,try reaching that on your poles....

rayner

Reaction score
I can't imagine not plummeting up, most of my fishing is off the bottom I still like to know the depth. Even when I was able to fish moving water I would always start by a quick check.
You don't need several plummets, Mike. A swan shot doesn't cause too much commotion in still water. Save your plummet for moving water.

rubio

Reaction score
I often plumb up twice in silty lakes. First with regular plummet then a large shot. Difference between them can be surprising.
When I broke rod I was using single AAA. Hooked a sheet of plastic. Rod was clearly already damaged as not much pressure applied by me.