Float making.

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
River Irwell Grayling Hunt.
https://purplepeanut007.blogspot.com/2021/01/hsgsgsgegehe.html

We obviously had to fish local so we decided on the River Irwell. Rumours were about of grayling showing in the river!!!!

As myself and Andy have never caught an Irwell grayling, we both thought it would make a nice target fish for the new rod......
Click the link and read the rest of the tale on the blog ?

Attachments

• 20210117_201141.jpg
    20210117_201141.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 118

Aknib

Reaction score
River Irwell Grayling Hunt.
https://purplepeanut007.blogspot.com/2021/01/hsgsgsgegehe.html

We obviously had to fish local so we decided on the River Irwell. Rumours were about of grayling showing in the river!!!!

As myself and Andy have never caught an Irwell grayling, we both thought it would make a nice target fish for the new rod......
Click the link and read the rest of the tale on the blog ?

A great account of a great session!

Love the break with convention and that lovely little float rod, it looks a delight to use and you certainly showed what it can do when used in the right circumstances for which you commissioned it.

I wonder if Andrew would have any thoughts on the all out, uncompromising ultra light Gudgeon rod that I've been prattling on about fairly recently?

https://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/threads/the-lightest-picker-rod-ever.373320/#post-1554991 :)

rayner

Reaction score
There's a tiny 9peg pond on a fishery I use that's stuffed with gudgeon, I normally have a day fishing for them in particular. It's surprising the amount of roach that show on mega light tackle, I've made some light wagglers for gudgeon fishing that work well.
My old DAM quick stick for gudgeon is a little heavy but OK at a push.

purplepeanut007

Reaction score

Love the break with convention and that lovely little float rod, it looks a delight to use and you certainly showed what it can do when used in the right circumstances for which you commissioned it.

I wonder if Andrew would have any thoughts on the all out, uncompromising ultra light Gudgeon rod that I've been prattling on about fairly recently?

https://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/threads/the-lightest-picker-rod-ever.373320/#post-1554991 :)
Andrew can source an make any rod im sure.....give him a pm. He loves challenge Aknib and I would be most interested to see hat he comes up with?

Attachments

• 20210117_195739.jpg
    20210117_195739.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 115

purplepeanut007

Reaction score

The little float rod or Henry ( Henry Winkler) as it has been christand is a bit of an exraravagance but you only live once my friend.

Its just feels like you are holding a reel in your hands....its wonderful and i am looking forward to testing it on some bigger fish on my new few outings.

Be interesting if i could hook that trout I lost once more. Be interesting to see how it performs with a near double trout or a barbel on it....lol

purplepeanut007

Reaction score

I don't usually like green but after seeing the results of these three I am now making some more.
Click the link to read the rest on the blog ?
20210116_102730.jpg

Notts Michael.

Reaction score
At the opposite end of the float maker's skill level to PurplePeanut's beautiful creations.... ;)
my first attempt at a simple Crow Quill, stripped, sanded, Sprayed white, one end dipped in about 5 layers of Humbrol Orange paint, a wire loop eye whipped on to the other and sealed with 'Hard as Nails' clear nail laquer. float is as yet un-tested.
IMG_2831.JPG

purplepeanut007

Reaction score
At the opposite end of the float maker's skill level to PurplePeanut's beautiful creations.... ;)
my first attempt at a simple Crow Quill, stripped, sanded, Sprayed white, one end dipped in about 5 layers of Humbrol Orange paint, a wire loop eye whipped on to the other and sealed with 'Hard as Nails' clear nail laquer. float is as yet un-tested.View attachment 13257

Looks great, get catching on it pal.

Aknib

Reaction score
This is pretty much what it says on the tin, a big balsa Avon on some of the stoutest goose quill I have and chances are the bird flew over the river i'll be using it on tomorrow.

The slider eyes aren't just for the deep swims, there are several runs where the bites come by underarming to the end of the trees just upstream in six or seven feet of water and the slider allows me to get in tighter and gives me two or three seconds more before the float begins to trot back towards me which often means the difference between a fish or not...

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Just making a black tipped twin which I hope will be ready for tomorrow too, I reckon these are coming in at under thirty pence a float and along with the two freshly baked farmhouse loaves I picked up this morning should make for a cheap day's fishing all in all.

I'll strip the crusts off the loaves for bait this evening and soak the rest for mash, in between applying several coats of varnish to the black tipped twin. It would be nice to christen 'em on a fish or two.

Aknib

Reaction score
Very nice , what sort of weight do they take?

Cheers Ian... These are 10grms or just over 6SSG.

I've made a lot of Avons with reed tips and these have been doing fine but I like the quill for the heavy stuff and will definitely make some smaller ones to go with 'em, maybe in sets of three.

Aknib

Reaction score
Very hard going out there today after a sharp frost followed by prolonged mizzling rain but the float did get christened...

fw1.JPG

I fished it fixed and slider through several swims but not once was I expecting this on trotted crust, hooked fair and square right in the corner of the scissors...

fw2.JPG

I think I can stamp 'passed' on that one :)