Float stop sizes

L5BUK

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've bought some small guru float stops and some Drennan Medium.

I was wondering what size line you would normally use with small and medium?

thank you

nottskev

Reaction score
If you find one doesn't quite grip well enough on a given line, add another. Two together make for a firm stop without risk of "burning" the line with too tight a stop. If you only have stops which are a bit too tight for a given line, wet the line every time you move them to offset the friction, as you would when tightening a knot..

wetthrough

Reaction score
I should add that I now use some Chinese ones that @mikench gave me, I hink he bought a container full :) I only use the small Guru ones when I only want one stop above and below when using a small float in shallow water. The Chinese ones don't grip as tight but with two below the float they're tight enough. The Chinese ones being a bit less tight have a slight advantage in that the don't squeeze the wire loop as tight when putting them back on the wire loop which makes reusing them easier. It's easier to thread the line back through the wire loop.

wetthrough

Reaction score
The float stops and float adapter all go on the same loop ready for next time. It can be a bit fiddly but I've just got used to doing it.

mikench

Reaction score
I don't know how Gordon does it even though I have watched the technique and admired the patience dozens of times. I could not be bothered and gave Gordon a few to save him the trouble. He still does it though; Yorkshire blood that nos.?

ian g

Reaction score
I used to thread them back on but now I bought thousands from China for buttons I don't bother . They don't grip as tight but I just double up

Keith M

Reaction score
Whenever I’m becoming a bit short of rubber stops and I don’t know when I’ll make it to a tackle shop; I just push a few rubber stops onto a sewing needle after they’ve been used, which makes it very easy for me to put them back onto my line the next time I need to use them.

Keith

Reaction score
I do not use stops for float fishing,but I use them for my barbel fishing,above the lead,at varying distances,it acts as a slight bolt,plusit catches debris keeping it away from the lead and hook...

rayner

Reaction score
I like super tight stops for bomb fishing. Similar to Mike I bought five hundred from China, they took a while to arrive, they were worth the wait I prefer them for wagglers. Just the same as Gordon I can't throw them away until they have been recycled at least a few times. I do not put them back on the wire loop, by keeping the stops on the line I cut around 6" of line then tie the piece of line to the end of my reel line. They slide on easily.
To stop friction burns I wet the stop every time they go on to lines just as Kev says.
Ain't it funny how anglers have the same ideas without mentioning them.

nottskev

Reaction score
There are odd time I want all the shot bulked down the line - catching tench under roach or bits, say - and I use them to trap the float. Although Stotz slide so well without damage, I use them if the float stops aren't hand. Martin Bowler has a neat trick for a link leger, putting the mainline and the short line with the shot on through a float stop. You can then move it up or down to change the length of tail.

Keith M

Reaction score
When I’m using a string of SSG shots or very small ¼oz and ½oz weights on a link leger I often use rubber stops as leger stops as well (see pic).
They don’t slip down towards the hook; either on the cast or during the fight; if they did I wouldn’t use them.

Very occasionally if I’m fishing amongst thick streamer weed I may put two on the line but 90% of the time a single rubber stop is ample.

The ones I use are the slightly larger float stops or the Drennan Stops and they allow me to adjust the length of the hooklink with no effect on the line.

Keith

rayner

Reaction score
Tight float stops are a nice bit of kit, they work for floats as you would expect, they are fantastic for bomb use with the way you can alter tail length in seconds, they also work for making up helicopter rigs. The cheap Chinese stops are better to my mind for wagglers, float stops are invaluable for me with the way I struggle with locking shots.

ian g

Reaction score
There are odd time I want all the shot bulked down the line - catching tench under roach or bits, say - and I use them to trap the float. Although Stotz slide so well without damage, I use them if the float stops aren't hand. Martin Bowler has a neat trick for a link leger, putting the mainline and the short line with the shot on through a float stop. You can then move it up or down to change the length of tail.
I like to do a similar trick with a length of line to make a movable link ledger , make a loop in the line put on a couple of float stops , cut the loop , tie a stop knot in the link ledger length you can them move it up and down your line to alter the hook length . Not my idea saw it somewhere.

RMNDIL

Reaction score
For an adjustable link leger I tie a sliding stop knot, leave one end long to whatever you want and pinch the shot onto that or tie the bomb. It's just like a Paternoster but the link can be moved lengthening your 'hooklength' as you go. I do use float stops for umpteen things but the fit just depends on the thickness of the wire the stop are made on/threaded on and then the diameter of line you use them on

mikench

Reaction score
I'm happy doubling up on the cheap stops and say sod the expense.??
I also like the fact that each wire loop contains just the one stop as it saves time trying the thread your line through by now a compressed loop.

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
I'm happening doubling up on the cheap stops and say sod the expense.??
I also like the fact that each wire loop contains just the one stop as it saves time trying the thread your line through by now a compressed loop.

Exactly. You need to take a needle to open the loop. The something to keep the needle in........