Flooded Rivers

J

John Toohey

I can't wait to get back on the Ribble and catch a few fish but me and my mate are having a few arguments on the subject of when to go.

Now I know that at the moment the rivers are in the streets but when is the time to fish a swollen river? Personally I would go as soon as it is in its banks and it is safe to fish. My mate reckons not and he would rather it was back to normal level.

Another thing is in a lot of articles on the subject it is said that it is better to fish down the side in a slack but I have always banged the lead out to where the fish are normally to be caught and have actually done better than on other days.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Flooded rivers can be fished at any time providing you can get a bait in the water.

As to fishing slacks or the flow it depends a great deal on the river and where you would normally fish.

The only thing that can really stop you fishing as normal (except heavier) is when there is too much rubbish coming down fouling the line.

P

paul williams

Watching breakfast TV just and a guy was talking about the global warming thing, basically he was saying that we will get warmer summers and much wetter winters, we are already in my opinion experiencing wetter winters than 30yrs ago,this got me thinking,with a lot of flood plains and the like disappearing how will all the extra water be dealt with?...will the powers that be turn our rivers into massive drains and destroy fishing or will new reservoirs have to be built and give extra fishing? either way the distruction of flood plains aint being timed very well!!!

C

Chris Bishop

It's scary Paul. Just have a look at the Ouse, Welland and other rivers up here - they are little more than man-made drains.

On the flood subject I always thought fining down was supposed to be the time - ie as the river returns to normal and the colour starts dropping out of it.

I used to fish the Thames in flood a lot for pike and have reasonable success on the lock cuts, backwaters etc.

David Preston

Reaction score
Thing about the Ribble particularly is that it can drop off very quickly. Many a time I've left it too late, expecting the river to still be carrying too much, and when I've finally decided to go it's running low and clear again!

This may sound silly, (and it might not work in these exceptional conditions) but what I do is watch a puddle in the alley at the back of our house. If that has nearly dried up, then the Ribble is probably going to be about right.

J

John Toohey

Hi Dave, I do the same thing myself but it is the River Alt I watch which runs in front of my house and at the moment it is lashing down again and it is getting higher. Btw I have just been up to Lathom and had a look at the Douglas which is flooded but the River Tawd looks spot on so as I am laid off work at the moment I am going to fish it over the next few days.

David Preston

Reaction score
They were saying on the news this morning that the Douglas was due to flood central Wigan today - should mean some more chub in Scot Lane Pond!

The EA are supposed to have stocked the Tawd - have you fished it? And BTW did you know Wigan AA now has a good stretch on the Douglas at Gathurst?

P

peter webber

Just got back from having a look at the river medway (east farleigh). I've never seen it so high, there was no sign of the lock let alone the swim I fish there.

I spoke to a caravan park owner there (the park was under 4ft of water) he said that he has lost all of his caravans to the floods and 4 vans. A few boats that were not tied properly were sunk overnight.

Let's all spare a thought for all those that have suffered because of the floods.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Yes, we're disappointed we can't fish the rivers, but that's nothing to what some poor folk are going through.

J

John Toohey

Dave,I have been fishing that stretch that Wigan has now for years and it holds some very good fish especially if you walk down and fish the weir.As for the Tawd and Douglas I sometimes think that the E.A doesnt know what is going on.I have been fishing theese waters for 15-20 years and has always produced Roach 2lb plus but as the river is now in Angling Times river reports every week I think the cat is out of the bag.p.s.Have a look at the fishing reports for Lancashire on Eltons site.
John.

P

paul williams

Graham, you have just put it back into perspective for me! a missed days fishing is so trivial amongst the misery of some folk.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
I have just been looking at Bewdley on the telly. It's unrecognisable from the summer river. Worcester city centere is underwater. Does not bear thinking about and there is nothing anyone can do about it except wait it out. And it's still raining!