Fluoro coated nylon

kingf000

Reaction score
Has anyone else tried fluorocarbon coated nylon for trotting? I admit that I couldn't understand why anyone would want to use such a line but I bought some by mistake as it was advertised as fluorocarbon. However, I thought that maybe the fluorocarbon coat would act like grease on the nylon and stop in sinking. I loaded some on my reel and went trotting the other day. Yes, for the first hour the line floated well but after that it started to sink. Thinking that it may be the surface that had got dirty, I gave the line a quick wipe and hey presto, back floating again.

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere.

Philip

Reaction score
Thats my take on Fluro as well ...being denser its going to sink more than standard mono.

I think a few people on here have used braid to trot...Same Vimes I think was using it. I use it to "trot" drifter floats in the wind for pike fishing. Works a treat for that.

kingf000

Reaction score
The main selling point of fluorocarbon coated line is that it sinks better than normal mono. Fluorocarbon is denser than mono. I wouldn’t use it for trotting personally.
It all depends upon the thickness of the fluoro coating. If very thin, it protects the nylon from abrasion, and stops it absorbing water and becoming weaker without much difference in terms of overall density and sink rate. The thicker the coating, the closer it is to pure fluorocarbon. Balancing that is the hydrophobic nature of the fluorocarbon coating that keeps it on the water surface through surface tension. You see this with very thin fluorocarbon line that gets stuck on the water surface