Fly Fishing Day at Press Manor

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
And Graham and he have actually worked together.

Don't let on Graham please, I am sure you know who I am talking about.

That's easy then Ron - it's Rolf Harris - Graham posed nude for a series of Rolf's painting when Rolf was in his "Angling period"

I believe the Queen has "Short chap with is pinkie" in the toilet of the west wing at Buckingham Palace

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
I told you before, he is not Welsh.

OK another clue, he is one of the few left alive today who was a pioneer of the 60s and 70s trout fishing reservoir boom.

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Bob Church then?

I'll give him a call and ask him!

---------- Post added at 16:18 ---------- Previous post was at 16:17 ----------

What's happened to the Press Manor website??

It doesn't work for me?

---------- Post added at 16:19 ---------- Previous post was at 16:18 ----------

Unless there's been a communication breakdown....what does Charlotte Church know about flies?

I bet she's been into lots of different flies in her time!!

dezza

Reaction score
Seriously guys, we have recently lost a number of the angling greats of the 50s and 60s. Recently it has been Arthur Cove who was truly a great and one of the last of the reservoir fly fishing innovators and pioneers.

Bob Church of course is still with us and was certainly one of the greats who popularised reservoir fly fishing like few others. Keith Robinson, one time secretary of the highly successful Northampton Specimen Group is also still with us.

The revolution in fly fishing techniques during the 50s 60s and 70s was just as important as the coarse fishing specimen boom of the same period. Among the methods learned was the Northants style of fishing deep on the rudder which produced large numbers of grown-on brown trout during those times.

Here are a few names of the great anglers who taught us all so much, many of whom have unfortunately passed on:

Tom Ivens, Cyril Inwood, **** Shrive, Jim Shrive, Frank Cutler, Fred Wagstaffe, Arthur Cove, Bev Perkins, **** Walker, Don Neish, **** Swift, Bob Church, Mick Nicholls, Keith Robinson and Geoffrey Bucknall.

There is however one a little younger than those illustrious names I have listed who all being well will be joining us on the day at Press Manor. He will certainly be an asset to making the day enjoyable and we will get a few laughs too.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Sorry Ron, but I'm afraid I really cant' make it this year. I know you've built me up after last years efforts (where were you in one of my finest hours?), but despite the grand build up, I won't be there.

:wh

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
Shelob, bring the trophy back!

:wh

---------- Post added at 07:43 ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 ----------

So it shall be Saturday 8th May. Meet at the fishery at 8-30 am for 9 am start.

Full itinerary wiil be advised

Cant you read Mr Spiders?