Fly Fishing Day at Press Manor

dezza

Reaction score
Please let me know if you will come to this day at one of the most attractive still water fisheries in the north midlands.

It is time to book and I need to know how many will come. I am planning for the second Saturday in May.

I didn't get to run this day last year as I was in Australia. But this year I want it to be more tuition orientated, so that we can introduce people to fly fishing. Not only that I want all who come to catch a fish or two, that will mean that the beginners amongst us will get all the help they need from the more experienced.

There will be a session describing what fly fishing is all about, and fly tying demonstrations.

After an excellent lunch at a local pub, the rest of the day will be spent catching trout. The Andy Wright trophy will be presented to the person I think is "most improved".

But what do you think?

The problem with having a match is that the winner is going to come from a few, and I think in the spirit of fly fishing we should change things a little.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Im in Mr Clay, and i have improved no end, so i shant bother bringing the trophy back.
Save giving it to somebody else:D

dezza

Reaction score
Shelob, bring the trophy back!

:wh

---------- Post added at 07:43 ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 ----------

So it shall be Saturday 8th May. Meet at the fishery at 8-30 am for 9 am start.

Full itinerary wiil be advised

Reaction score
I shall be there Ron.

If I don't navigate this time Spider's will end up trying to get to Press Manor via Chew and Bewl Bridge. I, too, have improved immeasurably now that the line's on the right way!!!

Poshers

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
That's a provisional 'yes' from me, Ron. When it comes to the pie and chips at lunchtime, I'll have whatever Deanos recommends....

dezza

Reaction score
I want this day to be the north's answer to Graham's fish-in.

I've booked the day, now come along and learn about fly fishing and why we do it. Press Manor is a delightful water, a typical small Victorian reservoir stocked with a good mix of rainbow and brown trout. The hatches of buzzers are particaularly good at this time.

The day will be as follows:

8-30 am for 9-00 start.

Tea and coffee in the caravan.

Fly Tying - myself and GM

Fly casting - how to improve.

12-30, lunch at the Three Horshoes

1-30. to the end of the day, fishing with individual tuition where required.

Its as simple as that, hopefully a real fun day which will relive times past when we all dodged Barney's release of wind.

dezza

Reaction score
The latest news is that we may have a visit fom one of the UKs most famous and experienced fly fishermen.

No names at this stage!

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
The latest news is that we may have a visit fom one of the UKs most famous and experienced fly fishermen.

No names at this stage!

Is it tha tWelsh chap Hewlet Gynquiggly Morgan - not sure if that the correct spelling - if so give me plenty of notice - I want to be sure my England Rugby shirt is clean, and my World Cup win of 2003 hat:)

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
Fly Tying - myself and GM

I'll be there Ron but I won't be teaching anyone how to tie a fly as I'm only a novice fly-tyer myself. Not so sure a fly tying lesson will go down too well anyhow as I reckon most of those who attend would rather just carry on fishing. I'll gladly help anyone with anything else though.

---------- Post added at 15:45 ---------- Previous post was at 15:41 ----------

And no, it's not Hywell Morgan. This guy actually TAUGHT Hywell Morgan.

That'll be his father, the legendary Moc Morgan, then. I'll look forward to meeting him.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Ron - who's not Welsh Moc Morgan, Hywell morgan or Hywell Bennett?

I'm confused now - still I hope this to caster turns up and it's not like tha ttime you took me to meet "The greatest angler that ever lived" and it turns out to be some lawn mower salesman.

dezza

Reaction score
I'm not saying anything, other than Hywell has spent a few nights at this gentleman's place of residence.

:rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 09:20 ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 ----------

OK, I'll give you a clue, when I said he taught Hywell Morgan, it was nothing to do with fly fishing!

:D

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I'm not saying anything, other than Hywell has spent a few nights at this gentleman's place of residence.

:rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 09:20 ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 ----------

OK, I'll give you a clue, when I said he taught Hywell Morgan, it was nothing to do with fly fishing!

:D

Was Hywell Mrogan in prison is that what "gentleman's place of residence" refers to? And if so just what did he teach Hywell - I'll be very wary of lettign him stand behind me to "tech me to cast"