Fly rod info please?

M

Malcolm Bason

A work colleague of mine has offered me a fly rod - he bought it on impulse and says he has never actually used it - "except to practise casting in a field".

I know absolutely nothing about fly fishing rods and wondered if someone would be kind enough to help?

It is a Silstar Evolution, about 3 to 4 years old, item no: 3700/270, its graphite, 2.7 mtrs.

Thats all the info I have!

Opinions about the rod would be great and a bit of advice - like er what do I offer him? Or is it not much good anyhow?

Many thanks,

Malc.

J

John McLaren

Malc, before "diving in" remember that to actually use the thing properly you will need a reel, fly-line, leaders,and flies so its not just the cost of the rod.

The main information you need on the rod is its AFTM rating, at the length quoted it could be a 6 or 7 but you need to know to match it with a line. Also what sort of trout fishing is available to you? Big reservoirs call for powerful rods -up to 8 rating, the rod you decribe would be pretty useless on a small brook.

As Jimmy Cliff said "there are more questions than answers" - sorry. Hopefully someone on the forum knows the rod itself.

M

Malcolm Bason

Thanks John - it does say on it: "6.7 line" - he does also say he has a pin for sale! But he brought the rod in to work so i have it at home at the moment.

Cheers!

J

John McLaren

A 6/7 rated rod would be a reasonable general purpose weapon. Fly reels are not centrepins in the coarse angling sense, they are there just to hold the line when its not in use and a true centre pin would probably be too heavy.

I don't know the rod but if the Silstar reel I used to have was any guide the kit is reasonably good but a bit overpriced. If you are seriously thinking of getting together a fly fishing kit it would probably be worth buying a copy of Trout Fisherman and comparing prices in the adverts, you might get an idea of what to offer your colleague for the rod and reel. You could also pick up a cheap "millend" fly line to get you started. Good luck.

P

Paul Tyer

I think you have a good starter rod, and would think if you take it to your local tackle shop they will help you get the right reel and line.
I started with a floating line as I fish a number of small lakes in Kent and find that a floater line and a sink tip line covers all my needs.

I would recommend that you take up some casting lessons if you have not done it before.

G

Gerry Castles

I know it'a not the same, but I had a Silstar Carp rod for a few years and for the price I was very pleased with the rod, it took a lot of abuse. Silstar were at the lower end of the market and looking at the range of remarkably inexpensive rods and kits available today from people like Bennetts of Sheffield and Carrilon, I wouldn't want to spend more than ?20 on your rod. If you can get it for ?15 all the better. Realistically that's all it's really worth. It's likely to be a soft action rod so it will be easy to learn on. A seven weight, weight forward line is right for this rod and you should buy an inexpensive mill end line with a cheap reel. www.johnnorris.co.uk will have both items

R

Robert Draper

I would pair it up with a mill end weight forward #7 floating line (WF7F) which you should be able to get for about ?4-?5. They are often shorter than full priced lines but you won't be able to cast a full line for a year or two anyway (if ever by my experience!). Don't be tempted to go for a #6 line as efficient casting depends on rod loading - you have to work harder to load the rod with a lighter line and you may develop casting problems as a result. A Rimfly reel can be bought very cheaply (under a tenner if my memory serves me), these work just as well as a ?200 Hardy as far as a beginner is concerned. My last Rimfly appeared to be made by Orvis so they may be changing the branding. Some leader material (fluoro or fly leader mono), a few flies and a casting leson and you are off. Most of the other bits and pieces can be found in your coarse fishing stuff (scissors, forceps etc.). One last warning - don't try to use supple coarse fishing mono as a leader it tangles like something not right, you need the stiff stuff.